Re: [videoblogging] How to let people easily publish a private file?

  • Michael Sullivan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      blip pro has feature to hide uploaded videos.
      never tried it but i assume those videos could be embedded.
      they are just not listed on the site.

      else, you could play with apache and referrer/ip restrictions.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        > What's the best way to let them upload a video which can only be seen
        > where it's embedded, not by random users browsing/searching on the
        > video sharing site. Do any of the hosting/sharing sites offer this
        > kind of service?

        http://blip.tv/faq/pro

        Sometimes you don't want the whole world to see your videos. As a pro
        > account user, you can mark your videos as 'hidden'. Hidden videos don't show
        > up in blip.tv's indexes and searches, or in any RSS feeds. On the blip.tvsite, only you and other registered
        > blip.tv users who you list as contacts can see your hidden videos.* If you
        > want to share the videos with other people who aren't blip.tv users, you
        > can post them to an external site.* Finally, you can password-protect your
        > hidden videos, so that they can only be watched by people who know the
        > password.

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://jaydedman.com
        http://twitter.com/jaydedman

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
          RTFM.
          Thanks guys.
          Was too braindead to check out the faq or test it.
          Of *course* Blip has the solution.

          On 2-Jul-09, at 2:07 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

          > > What's the best way to let them upload a video which can only be
          > seen
          > > where it's embedded, not by random users browsing/searching on the
          > > video sharing site. Do any of the hosting/sharing sites offer this
          > > kind of service?
          >
          > http://blip.tv/faq/pro
          >
          > Sometimes you don't want the whole world to see your videos. As a pro
          > > account user, you can mark your videos as 'hidden'. Hidden videos
          > don't show
          > > up in blip.tv's indexes and searches, or in any RSS feeds. On the
          > blip.tvsite, only you and other registered
          > > blip.tv users who you list as contacts can see your hidden
          > videos.* If you
          > > want to share the videos with other people who aren't blip.tv
          > users, you
          > > can post them to an external site.* Finally, you can password-
          > protect your
          > > hidden videos, so that they can only be watched by people who know
          > the
          > > password.

          > http://ryanishungry.com
          > http://jaydedman.com
          > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
          > 917 371 6790

        • Jose Nuno Pereira
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
            Hi People,

            i just read this on vimeo's blog and wanted to warn everyone about it.

            http://vimeo.com/blog:215

            > Starting August 1st, basic accounts' original source files will be
            > stored for one week from the upload date, after which they will be
            > removed. Of course the converted Vimeo video will always be there in
            > the Vimeo player, ready to be watched again and again, anywhere you
            > choose to embed or share it. We will also still provide a download
            > link so people can save the converted file to their computer (in MP4
            > format).
            >
            > This new one-week policy applies to all basic accounts' videos
            > uploaded from this point onwards. For videos that were uploaded
            > before this blog post, those original files will be available until
            > August 1st, to give you some time to download them if you need to.
            > After August 1st, those files will also be removed.

            I personally understand the explaining but its a bummer if you are a
            free/basic user anyway.

            I just wanted to share this information because you can download your
            source videos between now and beginning of August.

            Rgds,
            ZN
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
              > i just read this on vimeo's blog and wanted to warn everyone about it.
              > http://vimeo.com/blog:215
              >
              >> Starting August 1st, basic accounts' original source files will be
              >> stored for one week from the upload date, after which they will be
              >> removed. Of course the converted Vimeo video will always be there in
              >> the Vimeo player, ready to be watched again and again, anywhere you
              >> choose to embed or share it. We will also still provide a download
              >> link so people can save the converted file to their computer (in MP4
              >> format).

              We all talked about this day coming so it makes sense. These free
              video hosting sites must start making choices on what they provide for
              free. If Youtube didnt have Google to bankroll their free service, I
              would expect sites to start charging $$. For instance, blip offers
              such a solid service, it just makes sense they should charge.

              I think its becoming clearer that these free video social networks
              will be good for promotional aspects...and "disposable media" as David
              Howell so eloquently puts it. You throw video into the site, then
              don't really worry about what happens to it or what format it's in.

              Video creators trying to build a larger footprint will start hosting
              their own videos. Probably using some kind if user interface on top of
              Amazon S3 that lets you upload and manage a whole library of videos.
              Be awesome if this system also had a transcoding engine that I could
              manually tweak the settings for the different versions I want.

              Or as I said, a service like blip.tv determines that charging for
              their service is valuable which would make me more confident they'll
              stick around far into the future.

              http://ryanishungry.com
              http://jaydedman.com
              http://twitter.com/jaydedman
              917 371 6790
            • Adam Quirk
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
                I would pay extra for Blip.tv to cross-post my uploads to a cloud like S3.
                That seems like a fairly easy thing to implement too. Just plug in your S3
                account information like you'd plug in your Archive.org info or any other
                cross-post logins.

                On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                > > i just read this on vimeo's blog and wanted to warn everyone about it.
                > > http://vimeo.com/blog:215
                > >
                > >> Starting August 1st, basic accounts' original source files will be
                > >> stored for one week from the upload date, after which they will be
                > >> removed. Of course the converted Vimeo video will always be there in
                > >> the Vimeo player, ready to be watched again and again, anywhere you
                > >> choose to embed or share it. We will also still provide a download
                > >> link so people can save the converted file to their computer (in MP4
                > >> format).
                >
                > We all talked about this day coming so it makes sense. These free
                > video hosting sites must start making choices on what they provide for
                > free. If Youtube didnt have Google to bankroll their free service, I
                > would expect sites to start charging $$. For instance, blip offers
                > such a solid service, it just makes sense they should charge.
                >
                > I think its becoming clearer that these free video social networks
                > will be good for promotional aspects...and "disposable media" as David
                > Howell so eloquently puts it. You throw video into the site, then
                > don't really worry about what happens to it or what format it's in.
                >
                > Video creators trying to build a larger footprint will start hosting
                > their own videos. Probably using some kind if user interface on top of
                > Amazon S3 that lets you upload and manage a whole library of videos.
                > Be awesome if this system also had a transcoding engine that I could
                > manually tweak the settings for the different versions I want.
                >
                > Or as I said, a service like blip.tv determines that charging for
                > their service is valuable which would make me more confident they'll
                > stick around far into the future.

                > http://ryanishungry.com
                > http://jaydedman.com
                > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                > 917 371 6790

              • smoothsayl
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                  If you needed something right away, you could always instruct folks to title their videos with gibberish - also to use gibberish keywords:

                  Jabberwokcy Gnash
                  Hijinks Meplasto
                  Scabbard Quash

                  Its SEO in reverse - you are titling and keywording your videos so they will not turn up in any search nor be grouped as relevant with any other videos.

                  Its not ironclad, but it might be a short term fix.

                  Rob
                  BlockbusterMultimedia.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
                    > I would pay extra for Blip.tv to cross-post my uploads to a cloud like S3.
                    > That seems like a fairly easy thing to implement too. Just plug in your S3
                    > account information like you'd plug in your Archive.org info or any other
                    > cross-post logins.

                    YES!
                    id love to use the blip interface to crossupload to my own S3 account.

                    http://ryanishungry.com
                    http://jaydedman.com
                    http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                    917 371 6790
                  • Michael Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
                      I used to talk about how I saw your traditional web host services becoming
                      more in tune with media creators needs and offering services to cater to
                      this type of customer.
                      I was predicting that Dreamhost would lead the way. Though they added a few
                      related features... a few years later they still have not made any big
                      strides.

                      Likewise, I felt that *some* video hosting services, primarily blip.tv,
                      would do the opposite and become more in tune with the regular web hosting
                      customer who wanted to host/manage their domain and be able to publish their
                      own 'pages', installed code etc etc.

                      I felt that this would make sense as time goes on and as many of the free
                      social video services would close up or change direction or just reduce
                      their value to the more serious media creators (as opposed to disposable
                      media creators).

                      Recent activity in the social media sphere are showing that this should
                      happen. Until it does, yeah I think more people will explore
                      self-service.... building that larger footprint as jay sais.
                      Leverage social mediums where/when appropriate. Today, a tweet with a link
                      to your new content is probably more useful than just a post on youtube.
                      Drive people to YOUR content/destination/brand... to YOU.

                      blip has their pro service as a way to dabble in that lower-end
                      monetization. but they obviously are focused on higher-end revenue
                      possibilities.

                      sull

                      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Jay dedman<jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                      > Video creators trying to build a larger footprint will start hosting
                      > their own videos. Probably using some kind if user interface on top of
                      > Amazon S3 that lets you upload and manage a whole library of videos.
                      > Be awesome if this system also had a transcoding engine that I could
                      > manually tweak the settings for the different versions I want.
                      >
                      > Or as I said, a service like blip.tv determines that charging for
                      > their service is valuable which would make me more confident they'll
                      > stick around far into the future.

                      > http://ryanishungry.com
                      > http://jaydedman.com
                      > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                      > 917 371 6790

                    • Ron Watson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
                        Hey Jay,
                        I'm uploading to s3 on a service, Infinovision - http://
                        infinovision.com , and JVideo (Joomla Video) http://
                        jvideo.infinovision.com and administrating and serving through the
                        Joomla back end. It's pretty slick - a bit buggy, but it's got great
                        potential.

                        I'm on the free plan for now, during Beta, but we're getting close to
                        getting larger than that. I hope I can afford to pay the bills.

                        There's not a lot of fine tuning with Infinovision, at least not at
                        the pay grade I'm at, but it's a pretty nice system.

                        At this point in time it's slated for the heavy lifting on K9Athlete
                        ( http://k9athlete.com ) and might be the workhorse of Dog Sport TV
                        ( http://dogsporttv.com ) - same site, BTW...

                        It looks as if we're going live fairly soon. I've got to clean things
                        up, lose a TON of development/beta code overhead, and add some
                        formatting for the other sports ( K9Disc is the only one done...
                        http://k9athlete.com/home/k9disc-front-page ) but it's getting
                        close... still tinkering, but close.

                        For those of you who remember my curator project thread - I've got no
                        money, no sponsors and no interest in instructor participation in the
                        project, but the feedback from our members is really solid and the
                        site is really looking sharp and is attracting attention.

                        Anyway, just thought I'd share.

                        Stop by and check the place out. http://k9athlete.com .

                        peace,
                        Ron Watson
                        http://k9disc.blip.tv
                        http://k9disc.com
                        http://discdogradio.com
                        http://pawsitivevybe.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
                          > I'm uploading to s3 on a service, Infinovision - http://
                          > infinovision.com , and JVideo (Joomla Video) http://
                          > jvideo.infinovision.com and administrating and serving through the
                          > Joomla back end. It's pretty slick - a bit buggy, but it's got great
                          > potential.

                          Yeah, there seem to be a lot of interfaces to manage files on your
                          Amazon S3 account. I know http://www.jungledisk.com/ was pretty
                          popular when it came out.

                          > For those of you who remember my curator project thread - I've got no
                          > money, no sponsors and no interest in instructor participation in the
                          > project, but the feedback from our members is really solid and the
                          > site is really looking sharp and is attracting attention.
                          > Stop by and check the place out. http://k9athlete.com .

                          Just so we could have a discussion about it...why are you choosing to
                          host all your own files?
                          Why not depend on a free hosting service like Vimeo, blip, or Youtube?
                          Is it because youve started a service and want people to upload videos
                          directly to your site?

                          http://ryanishungry.com
                          http://jaydedman.com
                          http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                          917 371 6790
                        • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
                            > Just so we could have a discussion about it...why are you choosing to
                            > host all your own files?
                            > Why not depend on a free hosting service like Vimeo, blip, or Youtube?
                            > Is it because youve started a service and want people to upload videos
                            > directly to your site?

                            Joining the discussion, I am hosting all my own files (on DreamHost) for the following reasons.
                            --There is no or little lag before the download starts.
                            --I can choosse my own player. In my case I use a player from FlixPro.
                            --I get no interference or overlays from ads or other videos that the host wishes to insert.
                            --At the end of the video, the picture just stops on the last frame. No choices about sharing, other videsos, etc.
                            --A MAJOR advantage, really big for me, is that if a viewer stops the video in order to go on to another one, with vPIP the download stops. Absolutely stops and does not intefere with the next video download. This is important for me because I will usually have several videos on a page separated only with text. I expect that the viewer might jump around.
                            --Once you make the move and host the software on your own server, there is no cost penalty for also hosting the video files. DreamHost, at least, does not charge extra for bandwidth or storage. So far I have not had any issues with them on usage. It can, like any other service, go down from time to time, but I find it very smooth.
                            --Once you host your video on your own site, the viewer does not inadvertently leave it. You have control. No ads, no promos for other "shows", etc.

                            There are probably reasons, but these should add to the discussion.

                            I want to point out, though, that I make rich media websites, essentially hyperlinked documentaries about a particular subject. Lots of text, links, videos, menu choices all for the viewer to select.

                            You can see what I mean on http://PinePlainsViews.com and http://thinkingglobalactinglocal.com/biochar-workshop-may-9-2009.html

                            I want to acknowledge, though, that when I started out I used blip.tv, vimeo, and I still use YouTube for separate videos that are not part of a website.

                            Stan Hirson
                            http://Hestakaup.com
                            http://PinePlainsViews.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
                              >> Just so we could have a discussion about it...why are you choosing to
                              >> host all your own files?
                              >> Why not depend on a free hosting service like Vimeo, blip, or
                              >> Youtube?
                              >> Is it because youve started a service and want people to upload
                              >> videos
                              >> directly to your site?

                              I would like people to upload videos directly to the site and I want
                              these videos connected to their account on my site.

                              We've got notifications and an activity stream for a reason - moving
                              outside the Joomla registration system by doing 3rd party uploads
                              makes that more difficult. A single login is important as well.

                              There is a 3rd party, Bip/Youtube solution built right into the
                              social network application (JomSocial - http://jomsocial.com ), but
                              that runs afoul of another requirement - control over advertising.

                              I want to run ads for many small businesses that are involved with
                              dog sport. Cheap, visible pre/mid/post and overlay.

                              There is another video application that I've looked at that uses the
                              JW player, and I'm intrigued with the ad capabilities of Longtail,
                              but it's a lot of work to configure and administrate, and then
                              there's the cost of a beefy server to stream the content.

                              I was just thinking about how cool it would be to have a Blip Multi
                              User kind of a set up - essentially a channel for communities like
                              mine - a K9Athlete Network. I could book advertising and control the
                              distribution of it. I'd love that! The Blip player just rocks!

                              That's essentially what Infinovision is doing, btw, creating a multi-
                              user network on Amazon S3. JVideo is the application controlling that
                              network in my CMS. Advertising and branding are/will be available in
                              the paid subscription service - it's my application under my control.

                              Thanks for the discussion. It's helpful to think about, for sure.

                              peace,
                              Ron