Re: [videoblogging] iMovie 08/09 VS iMovie HD 06?

  • Jeffrey Taylor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
      I still use iMovie '06 unless I need the bells and whistles of FCP. It's a
      great introduction to video editing, and I believe it inspires people
      towards more advanced video editing software.

      Apple's moves with iMovie have always puzzled me. You'd think they would
      want to guide more users to the revenue-generating FCP/FCE, and iMovie '06
      is a great gateway to FCP/FCE. The two versions of iMovie that have come out
      since are not, and there's no logical and similar "next thing" for the
      advanced editor wanting to learn do more.

      And, as I said at OVC � inspring entry-level video editing software is the
      only way to create sustainable demand for open video and codec/file format
      convergence.

      --
      Jeffrey Taylor
      912 Cole St, #349

    • ryanne hodson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
        if you've been editing on imovie 06 for 3 years
        *you* might have a violent reaction to imovie 09
        in case you do, i have several tutorials on freevlog on how to use it

        http://freevlog.org/content/imovie-updating-and-importing
        http://freevlog.org/content/imovie-basic-editing
        http://freevlog.org/content/imovie-exporting-and-archiving

        then you might decide to just keep (or reinstall) imovie 06 after all
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZAHpPvivzA

        -ryanne

        --
        508-264-0562
        http://RyanIsHungry.com

        On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Robert Yen<byen@...> wrote:
        > http://tastyblogsnack.com/2009/01/29/imovie-09-editing-tip/
        >
        >> I think it�s weird that there�s nothing between iMovie 06 and Final
        >> Cut Pro. iMovie 08 and 09 is way to basic, and doesn�t have a good
        >> enough precision.
        >> I loved iMovie 06. Easy to use and fast. iMovie 08 and 09 works
        >> better with family movies. At least that�s my opinion.
        >
        > I've been using iMovie HD 06 (6.0.3) since 2006 with Sony FX1 (HDV,
        > analog tape), & it's great. I heard some complaints on this group
        > about later versions of iMovie being "dumbed down".
        >
        >> And since iMovie 08 seems to be devoid of any of the good movie and
        >> audio editing features that 06 had, I�m wondering what other folks
        >> are using now if they want to have a good set of editing tools
        >> without going to professional software.
        >

        > I need geotagging for my photos, which will then be bulk uploaded to
        > Flickr, with "Flickr uploader". iPhoto 09 is getting good review for
        > geotagging, so I'm considering upgrading to iLife '09. Anybody have a
        > violent reaction to iMovie 07, 08, or 09?
        >
        > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090404003545AAOYVCP
        >> Sorry but iMovie HD is no longer available as a download.
        >> Apple removed it with the introduction of iLife and iMovie 09.
        >> The links that Apple still has on its download site are only
        >> upgrades to the original version 6 which you must have on your
        >> computer before it will work.
        >> Now the only way that you might still be able to get iMovie HD is to
        >> find someone that has an older mac and still has the iLife 06
        >> installation disc.
        >> Or I have seen iLife 06 discs for sale on eBay.
        >> Why don't you upgrade to iLife 09 and the new iMovie 09.
        >> It has all the special effects back again.
        >> Regards, Zyfert
        >
        > So, I can upgrade to iLife 09, & install iMovie HD '06 from my discs?
        > Yes, according to:
        >
        > http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5089
        >
        > Anybody else doing this: dual copies of iMovie HD 06 & iMovie 09?

      • Sunshine Ray
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
          I got a mac for the video editing imovie, it's 09, it doens't even have text frames that windows movie makerdoes in the time line - youhave to use 3 applications to make them and drag and import them all over the place to get them into your imove09 timeline

          I have been told that final cut express has the feature on phone yesterday with then, but the tutorials on apple only show text, not pargraphs some on youtube do, looks not so easy, I have major cognitive problems

          glad to find you hear as well - of course, I found u thou markus/appercitive (sp) & Flux - and joined ur freevlog site the other day - i mostlybed confined so this a hard go

          I was in tears trying to make the frames of type (not titles- and I usse them alot) and on the phone with appleas able, my speech distored from brain damage often can't speak or sit up long, it's been a nightmare, I expected alot more from apple.mac, this is not the onlything - still considering getting rid of it and miss my pc that is in the shop

          I holding on, another $200 and taxes for FCE, i wonder if more money down drain

          Iwatched your videos on freevlog, I wanted to post question in forum but could't see how to start a new topic, they all looked locked, odd as I think I saw a spammer there, I will try again.

          or maybe post here, I don't know if right for this group, i beginner.

          thanks
          cheryl

          cherylbenson on twitter

          http://cherylspeaksout.blogspot.com (i have one closed)

          http://youtube.com/cherylspeaksout

          http://cherylbenson.ca (in the works very slowly )
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, ryanne hodson <ryanne.hodson@...> wrote:

          > if you've been editing on imovie 06 for 3 years
          > *you* might have a violent reaction to imovie 09
          > in case you do, i have several tutorials on freevlog on how to use it

        • Cheryl
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
            If you can follow his somewhat hyper instructions, a young gentleman posted a tutorial on YouTube for how to download and install the older version of iMovie.

            You might take to it more easily than iMovie09 - it's a little easier to figure out where to create text titles and so forth.

            Here is the tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZAHpPvivzA

            Cheryl Colan

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
              \
              thx, I found a dead link to this in apple forums last week, I was floored prior when I found out apple had the feature, similar and took it out.

              I went to the sharing site, could't see a place to sign up except for paying members, paid for 1 month, went back to get the link, how they search for links/apps, downloads they want on that site is beyond me.

              I downloaded it and got it open fine however:

              - I using software to transfer vhs to imovie - roxio just made one for mac's, which didn't work and they had to do new downloads so it would import to imovie after (or toast - haven't used that yet)

              - HD6 - I can't access any movies that have already been imported from iphoto to imovie 09 when I started the app's and trasferring from my hard drive, except for 1 odddly enough done on my camera in .mov appeared, and it just sits there on the left, not changed into clips

              - I see the frame titles, effects just fine, also that u have to paste your text into some of them in wmm u type it in while in the time line, u don't go to another app an back, i still in shock apple took these out, so u pay $200 plus for FCE

              - I can't import any already working on in imovie 09, or ones trasnferred from roxio vhs to imovie with the start hot imoveHD so think that isn't going to work either - I am/will be doing alot of these as able and I need the frame titles

              - can't import, or HD06 doesn't recognize any movies in iphoto or in imovie to import, I have a load of them on here and they don't show OR, they have a white film over them and I can't access them, except for one last nite and I don't know why that one did, there was no white film over it and it's just sitting there I can't do anything with it so far

              - it also isn't recording from my isight, i can see it, but it's not recording, it does in 09 and I can drag it to a project i am working on. not seeing another button to press?

              - rathr at a loss here. I just getting used to 09, and ticked off to say the least.

              - I can't spend time on this today.

              I greatly appreciate your post and help cheryl, will be back to report, post more as able,

              thank you,
              Cheryl aka Sunshine Ray (was my old online name - Sunshine nickname in life and on line)

              Namaste

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <cherylcolan@...> wrote:

              > If you can follow his somewhat hyper instructions, a young gentleman posted a tutorial on YouTube for how to download and install the older version of iMovie.
              >
              > You might take to it more easily than iMovie09 - it's a little easier to figure out where to create text titles and so forth.
              >
              > Here is the tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZAHpPvivzA
              >
              > Cheryl Colan
              >
              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Sunshine Ray" <

            • John Coffey
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11, 2009
                I have iMovie HD loaded onto every hardrive I own.