China firewall, need alternative (to Blip.tv) video hosting

  • B Yen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2009
      I've been using Blip.tv for video hosting, very satisfied.

      http://www.pcworld.com/article/136089/top_10_video_sharing_sites.html

      Except Blip.tv is blocked in China..experienced this first hand last
      year!!

      http://www.caltechscience.com/08solareclipse/index.html
      http://eclipsechaser.blogspot.com
      [ was blocked, so I didn't make updates. Instead, created http://08solareclipse.blogspot.com
      ...which was accessible??! ]

      Even my websites (which use Blip.tv videos) were blocked! I
      understand Youtube is blocked, & Gmail doesn't work. Natively hosted
      Blogspot, Wordpress are blocked (most of the time). Kyte.tv, Flickr,
      Fragmov worked for me last year.

      I re-directed my http://08solareclipse.blogspot.com to a domain I own (http://2008.eclipse-chaser.com
      ). Would this "masking of the domain" allow access in China, or could
      they figure out the original IP (hosted by Blogspot) & I would still
      be blocked?

      I'm going back to China in a few weeks for a project, & want to do
      same-day video-blogging:

      http://www.eclipse-chaser.com/2009/index.html

      I tried the following services yesterday:

      Vimeo
      Viddler
      Veoh
      Revver

      Vimeo:
      known for high quality. Flash transcoding took a LONG time. Has a
      bandwidth/week limit. Embedded Flash video player can't access/play
      other videos in my account. Hard to get direct URL for my
      original .mp4, so I can make an entry on my video-blog ("a
      rel=enclosure href="file.mp4")

      VIddler:
      it transcoded my uploaded .m4v (I use Apple Powerbook/iMovie) to FLash
      very quickly. High limits for upload bandwidthEasy access to
      original .mp4 URL, thus facilitating a quick video-blog entry. An
      embedded Flash player could be put on my video-blog quickly, which has
      ability to switch to other videos in my account. Blip.tv embedded
      Flash video player has a really sophisticated indexing system, to
      access/play other videos in ones account.

      Veoh:
      Embedded Flash video player can't access/play other videos in my
      account. Hard to get direct URL for my original .mp4, so I can make
      an entry on my video-blog ("a rel=enclosure href="file.mp4")

      Revver:
      had to wait for human approval of videos! Still waiting 24 hrs later.

      Viddler was my favorite. Here is an endorsement of Viddler:

      http://videoproductiontips.com/video-production-tips/viddler-is-the-video-hosting-site-of-choice-for-many-popular-bloggers/

      Anyone else have recommendations & comments?

      Kyte.tv is pretty interesting/cool. You can upload photos in bulk &
      it will make a slide-show video:

      http://www.kyte.tv/solareclipse2008

      At the end of each day on my 2008 China trip, I would

      - bulk upload pictures
      - upload videos separately

      Has nice Flash player, & it was a favorite of mine for daily trip
      updates.