Modding the Canon 5D Mark II

  • Mike Meiser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2009
      Long time no write, but just because I'm lurking doesn't mean I'm don't love
      you. ;)

      For a while now there have been some impressive open source firmware
      alternatives for a whole range of Canon cameras. These enable all sorts of
      cool features, many Canon just hadn't thought of.

      However, being as how this one is specifically aimed at improving the video
      and audio capabilities of the Canon 5D Mark II I thought ya'll might find it
      interesting.

      The firmware is best introduced in this short video on vimeo.

      http://vimeo.com/5267475

      I've released a custom firmware for the Canon 5D Mark II that adds lots of
      > new features that are missing for film makers. The video mode on the camera
      > is an amazing step forward for independent films -- it has a full 35 mm
      > sensor for "film-like" depth of field, it works with any Canon EF lens and
      > it produces beautiful 1080p h.264 files at 50 mbps.
      >

      > But the stock firmware has limited audio support and is missing many key
      > features. So I wrote my own extensions that include onscreen stereo audio
      > meters, over-exposure displays, crop marks for different formats, and
      > higher-quality audio.
      >

      > After a few weeks of private alpha testing and evaluation, I have released
      > it under the GPL for other folks to be able to extend it further.

      via: http://www.boingboing.net/2009/06/22/magic-lantern-a-film.html

      BTW, that firmware for other canon cameras is CHDK:
      http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

      This works on nearly all the modern canon cameras including the a-series,
      g-series, s-series, sd-series, and sx-series. Pretty amazing stuff.