XML to HTML

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
      I have a friend who wants to export an old blogger blog. The file
      comes out in XML.
      He does NOT want to import it into another blog...but instead wants to
      save the old posts as html or txt files.
      Anyone have any experience saving a blog this way using the export
      files that Blogger spits out?

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com
      http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      917 371 6790
    • t. whid
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
        He could try mirroring it as it currently is using wget... here's a
        tutorial:
        http://fosswire.com/post/2008/04/create-a-mirror-of-a-website-with-wget/

        I've used this technique to archive old WP blogs that I don't want to keep
        up-to-date with security fixes.

        Not certain it would work with blogger... but he could export, import to
        another blog then mirror (hackish workaround tho it is).

        good luck!

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
          > He could try mirroring it as it currently is using wget... here's a
          > tutorial:
          > http://fosswire.com/post/2008/04/create-a-mirror-of-a-website-with-wget/
          > I've used this technique to archive old WP blogs that I don't want to keep
          > up-to-date with security fixes.
          > Not certain it would work with blogger... but he could export, import to
          > another blog then mirror (hackish workaround tho it is).

          Good idea. But I think he wants to take his blog offline...so just
          have a version of his posts local on his computer. It is an
          interesting quandry since Ive never considered wanting a blog archived
          in txt format.

          http://ryanishungry.com
          http://jaydedman.com
          http://twitter.com/jaydedman
          917 371 6790
        • t. whid
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
            The wget technique would allow him to archive it as-is offline, it should
            pull down and link all relevant files -- probably would take a bit of
            prodding and pushing to make it perfect. Of course it wouldn't be plain text
            -- it would retain the blogger templates, etc. So it depends on what he
            wants in the end... just the barebones of the text, or an archive of the
            actual site.

            Not sure you could use wget on Windows however.

            Good luck! -Tim

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
              > The wget technique would allow him to archive it as-is offline, it should
              > pull down and link all relevant files -- probably would take a bit of
              > prodding and pushing to make it perfect. Of course it wouldn't be plain text
              > -- it would retain the blogger templates, etc. So it depends on what he
              > wants in the end... just the barebones of the text, or an archive of the
              > actual site.
              > Not sure you could use wget on Windows however.

              got it. then this does solve the problem.
              Thanks.

              http://ryanishungry.com
              http://jaydedman.com
              http://twitter.com/jaydedman
              917 371 6790
            • Markus Sandy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                On Jun 6, 2009, at 7:55 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

                > Good idea. But I think he wants to take his blog offline...so just
                > have a version of his posts local on his computer. It is an
                > interesting quandry since Ive never considered wanting a blog archived
                > in txt format.
                >
                > Jay

                it might be slow, but how about "save as" (on each page)

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                  >> Good idea. But I think he wants to take his blog offline...so just
                  >> have a version of his posts local on his computer. It is an
                  >> interesting quandry since Ive never considered wanting a blog archived
                  >> in txt format.

                  > it might be slow, but how about "save as" (on each page)

                  This is actually a good idea depending how big his blog is.

                  jay

                  --
                  http://ryanishungry.com
                  http://jaydedman.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                    On Jun 6, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

                    > >> Good idea. But I think he wants to take his blog offline...so just
                    > >> have a version of his posts local on his computer. It is an
                    > >> interesting quandry since Ive never considered wanting a blog
                    > archived
                    > >> in txt format.
                    >
                    > > it might be slow, but how about "save as" (on each page)
                    >
                    > This is actually a good idea depending how big his blog is.
                    >
                    > jay

                    i haven't tried this, but looks like it might do the job

                    http://www.httrack.com/

                    "HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline
                    browser utility.

                    It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a
                    local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML,
                    images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack
                    arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a
                    page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the
                    site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can
                    also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted
                    downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help
                    system.

                    WinHTTrack is the Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP release of HTTrack, and
                    WebHTTrack the Linux/Unix/BSD release. See the download page. "

                  • Rambos Locker
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                      You could use a "Site Ripper" or Offline browser like
                      http://www.metaproducts.com <http://www.metaproducts.com/> . I use this
                      to ripper an entire site or just potions of it to my hard drive. It can
                      be configured to just rip jpegs, text, mp3 or the lot. The entire
                      website can then be accessed from your hard drive much faster than
                      online.

                      Cheers Rambo
                      http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com

                      http://ryanishungry <http://ryanishungry.com> .com