Re: [videoblogging] Re: Interested in a critique group

  • Michael Verdi
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
      Here's the process we used
      <http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/10/toward_a_proces.php>
      Actually it was only steps 1 - 4. We use this at my theater in the
      process of creating a work but it can also be used on completed works
      if you think of the feedback as stuff to consider the next time you
      start a project.

      - Verdi

      On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM, David Howell <taoofdavid@...> wrote:
      > I participated in the group that Verdi started. It was a great experience to have my peers critique my video. I'd be all up for it if we got it going again.
      >
      > David
      > http://www.disposablemedia.ca
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I do like this idea - and if I were actually making any videos at the
      >> moment, I'd be up for it.  But I'm not.
      >> I think the last one was done using a Flashmeeting, and I seem to
      >> remember it working quite well.  I also remember Verdi (and others)
      >> had a set of rules for facilitating the critiquing, that also worked
      >> quite well.
      >>
      >> Rupert
      >> http://twittervlog.tv

      >> > was
      >> > provide
      >> > or maybe
      >> > swap links
      >> > want to
      >> > such a place
      >> >
      >> > Verdi tried this one time, a group where people could safely critique
      >> > each others work. I think a project like this takes the force of your
      >> > personality to make it happen. You know, no one wants to do anything
      >> > till other people are doing it.
      >> >
      >> > Maybe people will shout out if interested.
      >> >
      >> > jay
      >> >
      >> > --
      >> > http://ryanishungry.com
      >> > http://jaydedman.com
      >> > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      >> > 917 371 6790

      http://michaelverdi.com
    • Adam Warner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
        I too think that this is a valid idea, as long as people were interested. What about a web portal, based on WordPress and only accessible to members? Using Kaltura (see my post from earlier today about testing), one could login into the members only critique site, upload their video, and all members could critique using WP threaded comments, or even an integrated forum ( SimplePress forum plugin integrated with WP posts nicely).

        It may sound like overkill for this use case, but might setup a nice framework for a larger video critiquing community. If anyone is in agreement, I'll work it into the Kaleura test site I'm setting up...

        Adam W. Warner
        http://wordpressmodder.org

        On Jun 3, 2009, at 6:00 PM, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

        I do like this idea - and if I were actually making any videos at the
        moment, I'd be up for it. But I'm not.
        I think the last one was done using a Flashmeeting, and I seem to
        remember it working quite well. I also remember Verdi (and others)
        had a set of rules for facilitating the critiquing, that also worked
        quite well.

        Rupert
        http://twittervlog.tv

        On 3-Jun-09, at 10:41 PM, Jay dedman wrote:

        > > I'm new to this group and glad I found it. Wanted to see if anyone
        > was
        > > interested in forming a critique group where we share content and
        > provide
        > > constructive feedback and give ideas about the appropriate market.
        > or maybe
        > > such a group already exists and someone could steer me toward it.
        > > If it's a small group with up to 10 people or so, we could just
        > swap links
        > > and shoot messages to each other. If it gets much bigger, might
        > want to
        > > break into subgroups by category of content.
        > > Anyway, let me know if you're interested or if there is already
        > such a place
        > > I could go.
        >
        > Verdi tried this one time, a group where people could safely critique
        > each others work. I think a project like this takes the force of your
        > personality to make it happen. You know, no one wants to do anything
        > till other people are doing it.
        >
        > Maybe people will shout out if interested.
        >
        > jay
        >
        > --
        > http://ryanishungry.com
        > http://jaydedman.com
        > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
        > 917 371 6790

      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
          thanks for sharing this Verdi

          useful for some our teaching practices in our media program

          On 04/06/2009, at 11:33 AM, Michael Verdi wrote:

          > Here's the process we used
          > <http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/10/toward_a_proces.php
          > >
          > Actually it was only steps 1 - 4. We use this at my theater in the
          > process of creating a work but it can also be used on completed works
          > if you think of the feedback as stuff to consider the next time you
          > start a project.

          cheers
          Adrian Miles
          adrian.miles@...
          bachelor communication honours coordinator
          vogmae.net.au
        • Michael Verdi
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
            On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
            > thanks for sharing this Verdi
            >
            > useful for some our teaching practices in our media program

            You're welcome. We've used this in our theater for at least 15 years,
            maybe longer. We use it internally with just company members and
            invited friends and we also have an ongoing performance series called
            W.I.P. (Wednesdays In Performance / Works In Progress) were we do the
            shorter version with the audience after the performance.

            Also, Jen Simmons and I used this with high school students when we
            ran a media program together.

            - Verdi

            --
            http://michaelverdi.com
          • spencersoper
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
              OK. Sounds like some folks are interested, but I guess we have to clarify how this would go down. I'm a biz reporter, so all of the videos I'd be sharing are public domain and I could just shoot out a link. Sounds like some of you need to keep projects out of the public domain, so we'd need another format for those. And sounds like some of you already have good ideas on that, so it shouldn't be much trouble. Oh. And here's what I do. I write a weekly column called "On The Cheap," featuring reader tips to save money. Then my colleague April Bartholomew and I make a video to correspond with the column, which appears on the web page. They fall in the silly/stupid category. We've been at it for nearly a year. But we work at a newspaper, so we're looking to expand our peer group to include folks with more experience in online video. And hopefully, we'd bring some value to the group, as well. But you might doubt that if we watch our videos.
              So how bout getting a roster of folks who are interested going, and then we can work out the logistics based on everyone's needs?
              Sounds like David and Adam are game, and Adam has ideas for a format for this. And Rupert, maybe participating in the group will inspire you to get back in video-making mode.
              A few people can be enough to get it started, and then we can see if this snowball grows.
              And thanks for all the feedback and advice on groundrules.
              Spencer

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adam Warner <awarner20@...> wrote:

              > I too think that this is a valid idea, as long as people were interested. What about a web portal, based on WordPress and only accessible to members? Using Kaltura (see my post from earlier today about testing), one could login into the members only critique site, upload their video, and all members could critique using WP threaded comments, or even an integrated forum ( SimplePress forum plugin integrated with WP posts nicely).
              >
              > It may sound like overkill for this use case, but might setup a nice framework for a larger video critiquing community. If anyone is in agreement, I'll work it into the Kaleura test site I'm setting up...
              >
              > Adam W. Warner
              > http://wordpressmodder.org
              >

              > On Jun 3, 2009, at 6:00 PM, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:
              >

              > I do like this idea - and if I were actually making any videos at the
              > moment, I'd be up for it. But I'm not.
              > I think the last one was done using a Flashmeeting, and I seem to
              > remember it working quite well. I also remember Verdi (and others)
              > had a set of rules for facilitating the critiquing, that also worked
              > quite well.
              >
              > Rupert
              > http://twittervlog.tv
              >
              > On 3-Jun-09, at 10:41 PM, Jay dedman wrote:
              >

              > > > I'm new to this group and glad I found it. Wanted to see if anyone
              > > was
              > > > interested in forming a critique group where we share content and
              > > provide
              > > > constructive feedback and give ideas about the appropriate market.
              > > or maybe
              > > > such a group already exists and someone could steer me toward it.
              > > > If it's a small group with up to 10 people or so, we could just
              > > swap links
              > > > and shoot messages to each other. If it gets much bigger, might
              > > want to
              > > > break into subgroups by category of content.
              > > > Anyway, let me know if you're interested or if there is already
              > > such a place
              > > > I could go.
              > >
              > > Verdi tried this one time, a group where people could safely critique
              > > each others work. I think a project like this takes the force of your
              > > personality to make it happen. You know, no one wants to do anything
              > > till other people are doing it.
              > >
              > > Maybe people will shout out if interested.
              > >
              > > jay
              > >
              > > --
              > > http://ryanishungry.com
              > > http://jaydedman.com
              > > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
              > > 917 371 6790

            • Michael Verdi
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                I found the link to the flash meeting we did about 2 years ago:
                http://fm-openlearn.open.ac.uk/fm/fmm.php?pwd=3d579e-615

                - Verdi

                --
                http://michaelverdi.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                  > I found the link to the flash meeting we did about 2 years ago:
                  > http://fm-openlearn.open.ac.uk/fm/fmm.php?pwd=3d579e-615

                  So we dont forgte the links, I made a page on our wiki here:
                  http://videoblogginggroup.pbworks.com/Critique-group

                  Feel free to edit/add.

                  jay

                  --