Re: [videoblogging] how do I remove vids from 5 Min?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
      > For over a year I've been using Tubemogul to upload videos to various
      > sites. Recently I noticed that 5 Min is showing pre roll and overlay ads
      > w/o my permission and w/o sharing any earnings. I emailed them kindly
      > asking them to stop and haven't received a response and there doesn't seem
      > to be a way to delete videos from the site.
      > Anyone know how?

      Ive never heard of this site: http://www.5min.com/Info/About5min.aspx
      This is another good example that there's a couple different approaches to
      the web.

      First, if you want total control over your content...dont put it online.
      Someone, somewhere will get to it...and may not care what you think.

      Second, it's great that Tubemogul exists where you can easily upload a video
      to hundreds of sites...but ultimately you are responsible for reading the
      Terms of Service of each site. If you expect a site to host your video for
      free, I see no reason why they wouldnt put ads all your videos. The only way
      to discourage sites for this behavior is for creators to fight back.

      Third, look into Creative Commons licensing (
      http://creativecommons.org/license/). This wont stop people from abusing
      your work, but at least you set some guidelines. The more creators help
      create a culture that sharing is okay, attribution is standard, and respect
      golden then the future of the web will be a better place.

      So lets look at this site. Here is their TOS:
      http://www.5min.com/Info/Terms.aspx
      It looks like a lawyer wrote it which is always a bad sign for me. Here's
      the rub:

      By submitting the Submissions to 5min, you hereby grant 5min a worldwide,
      > non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use,
      > reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the
      > Submissions in connection with the 5min Website and 5min (and its
      > successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and
      > redistributing part or all of the 5min Website (and derivative works
      > thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. The foregoing
      > license granted by you terminates once you remove or delete a Submission
      > from the 5min Website. To have your Submission removed, please contact
      > support@...

      You basically say they can do anything they want with your videos. I never
      upload to a place if I have to ask permission to remove the videos.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com
      http://twitter.com/jaydedman

    • montecristo830
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
        Thanks, Jay. Good point about not reading the TOS. I didn't. In the TOS you quoted, it doesn't say anything about them using advertising on the video itself (I understand on the site, they have to earn money somehow). I use CC w/Blip but maybe I should put the logo on my video? It's cool for others to distribute the video, by all means please do, but not ads on it w/o sharing the earnings.

        ~Dina