Re: megaVideo

  • Davis Freeberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
      I think that one of the things that you have to consider when it comes to MegaVideo, is the incentives structure they use to get people to post. Since they can't actually upload the files themselves without violating their safe harbor, they pay "contributors" part of the ad money to upload popular content. I suppose, some might get worked up over it, but my philosophy is that if you can't beat them join them. The site itself is getting huge traction, probably close to 25 million unique visitors each month by now. One can ignore that audience or accept the spammy ads and the questionable business model of the site but be able to at least control your submissions. If you post your own content, other people won't be able to scrape it and submit duplicates. In the long run it's probably better to build an audience around the site, then to try in vain to stop them.

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, sjs Productions <sjsProduction@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Jay for you input. Sorry I didn't remember the discussion from a
      > few years ago. The url is now internal to megavideo, and it looks like
      > someone might have done a screen capture and then flashed it again. I don't
      > mind that someone puts my video on a website, but this guy took off my
      > information and is now monetizing it. That I do mind.
      > I will watermark my videos more carefully in the future. Do you have any
      > favorites for online video storage where you maintain sole copyright? I
      > don't care if you have to pay, just do not want to share copyright and
      > need to have control over who sees the videos.
      >
      > Thanks again for your help
      > Susan
      >
      > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
      >

      > > > Hi All,I just saw one of my video podcasts on megavideo.
      > > > http://www.megavideo.com I don't mind that they show it. However, they
      > > > have added ads in front of it, and cut off the ending of my video so that
      > > my
      > > > website is not promoted.
      > > > Is this legal? Has anyone else had this issue
      > >
      > > We spoke of these issues a couple years ago when spammy video sites
      > > started popping up reuploading videos and inserting ads.
      > > You can try emailing them asking for a takedown, but its doubtful
      > > anyone would respond. I could be wrong.
      > >
      > > What the exact URL to see how they're doing it?
      > >
      > > Jay
      > >
      > > --
      > > http://ryanishungry.com
      > > http://jaydedman.com
      > > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      > > 917 371 6790

    • sjs Productions
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
        I agree with you. That is why I post some content to YouTube, hoping to draw
        people to my site. And being 'visible' is a good thing. I am going to be
        putting a clear logo throughout my videos from now on, so at least others
        will see where it is from and hopefully visit me.