Re: [videoblogging] Daily Motion experiments with Open Vieo

  • Pete Prodoehl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
      Jay dedman wrote:
      > Pretty exciting that a video hosting site will allow playback of videos in
      > Ogg. I know its still confusing as to why anyone should use the Ogg video
      > codec...

      Because ultimately, if you want to preserve your work for the future,
      open formats are the way to go...

      Ask Mark Pilgrim for details... He's done the proprietary dance too many
      times, and it's left him a bitter man.

      Pete
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
        > Because ultimately, if you want to preserve your work for the future,
        > open formats are the way to go...

        agreed...though many people value ease of use over longterm archives.
        This will change as the first wave of video creators get older and
        struggle to keep their older work viable in proprietary formats.
        Remember when REAL video was the de-facto standard? I still run across
        archives that are still require REAL to watch.

        Also, an open source codec allows for the community to create an
        infinite number of tools...without the fear of the tools breaking if a
        change is made. I think it'll allow for a lot more creativity at a
        much lower price.

        we have a long way to go, but it feels as if it's really starting to
        come together now: http://openvideoconference.org/

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://jaydedman.com
        http://twitter.com/jaydedman