Daily Motion experiments with Open Vieo

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3 7:13 AM
      http://blog.dailymotion.com/2009/05/27/watch-videowithout-flash/

      *Why does non-Flash video playback matter?*
      > It�s both technical and philosophical, but to make long story short, it
      > will allow us to do new, fun things with video. Some examples are on our
      > demo page <http://www.dailymotion.com/openvideodemo>. Ultimately, we
      > expect this to enable innovation in user experience, SEO, advertising, etc.
      > For more on the value of open video, read the article here<http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=977>
      > .

      Pretty exciting that a video hosting site will allow playback of videos in
      Ogg. I know its still confusing as to why anyone should use the Ogg video
      codec, but I think more compelling examples will keep popping up as creators
      figure out the cool things you can do with presentation/interactivity on
      HTML 5.

      And if you havent watched it already, check out verdi's video where he talks
      about a possible future:
      http://reports.graymattergravy.com/2009/05/29/open-video/

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com
      http://twitter.com/jaydedman

    • Pete Prodoehl
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3 10:46 AM
        Jay dedman wrote:
        > Pretty exciting that a video hosting site will allow playback of videos in
        > Ogg. I know its still confusing as to why anyone should use the Ogg video
        > codec...

        Because ultimately, if you want to preserve your work for the future,
        open formats are the way to go...

        Ask Mark Pilgrim for details... He's done the proprietary dance too many
        times, and it's left him a bitter man.

        Pete
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3 12:16 PM
          > Because ultimately, if you want to preserve your work for the future,
          > open formats are the way to go...

          agreed...though many people value ease of use over longterm archives.
          This will change as the first wave of video creators get older and
          struggle to keep their older work viable in proprietary formats.
          Remember when REAL video was the de-facto standard? I still run across
          archives that are still require REAL to watch.

          Also, an open source codec allows for the community to create an
          infinite number of tools...without the fear of the tools breaking if a
          change is made. I think it'll allow for a lot more creativity at a
          much lower price.

          we have a long way to go, but it feels as if it's really starting to
          come together now: http://openvideoconference.org/

          http://ryanishungry.com
          http://jaydedman.com
          http://twitter.com/jaydedman