first video project - imovie advice

  • Roshani Kothari
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      I finally created a film using imovie!
      http://blip. tv/file/2192490

      It was fairly easy to use, but I couldn't figure out everything.

      Here are a few questions I have.
      1. How do I adjust the sound, so it's the same across the board?
      2. How do I add fade ins and fade outs with the sound and control the timing?
      3. Do you have any other tips for improving the video?

      Thanks everyone!

      Roshani

      Roshani Kothari

      http://rkmusings.wordpress.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
          Check out Ryanne's tutorial http://freevlog.org/content/imovie-basic-editing

          - Verdi

          On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Roshani Kothari
          <roshanikothari@...> wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I finally created a film using imovie!
          >  http://blip. tv/file/2192490
          >
          > It was fairly easy to use, but I couldn't figure out everything.
          >
          > Here are a few questions I have.
          > 1. How do I adjust the sound, so it's the same across the board?
          > 2. How do I add fade ins and fade outs with the sound and control the timing?
          > 3. Do you have any other tips for improving the video?
          >
          > Thanks everyone!
          >
          > Roshani
          >

          > Roshani Kothari
          >
          > http://rkmusings.wordpress.com

          http://michaelverdi.com
        • spencersoper
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2009
            Awesome job Roshani. Was this really your first?
            Things I liked:
            Very colorful. Visually and audibly. And I liked how you kept it moving back and forth, B-roll of people participating to shots of them talking about how they got involved and what the activity means to them. Great work at keeping this viewer engaged.
            Two nit picks, one which you already identified.
            On sound consistency, I'm not a techie. Not sure what can be done on the back end. But on the front end, maybe wireless mics to the folks being interviewed would help it a bit, especially the ones with softer voices.
            And on the B-roll: Maybe some more close ups to mix it up a bit. Close up of someone's face to get their expression or on an instrument or one of the folks watching who are really into it. You opened with the instrumental close-up, which was a nice touch. But rest of the B-roll looked like it was from the same angle. (I recognize this would be difficult without getting in the way of the action) But again, that's just a nit-pick.
            Congratulations on a fine video.
            Spencer

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Roshani Kothari <roshanikothari@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I finally created a film using imovie!
            > http://blip. tv/file/2192490
            >
            > It was fairly easy to use, but I couldn't figure out everything.
            >
            > Here are a few questions I have.
            > 1. How do I adjust the sound, so it's the same across the board?
            > 2. How do I add fade ins and fade outs with the sound and control the timing?
            > 3. Do you have any other tips for improving the video?
            >
            > Thanks everyone!
            >
            > Roshani
            >

            > Roshani Kothari
            >
            > http://rkmusings.wordpress.com

          • Roshani Kothari
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2009
              Thanks so much Spencer!
              It really was the first one I have created.
              Good advice about close ups.  I will do that next I am shooting b-roll.
              I will work on improving the sound and let everyone know if I figure out how
              to improve it.  I have a gotten a lapel microphone that I can use for future
              interviews.
              Best regards,
              Roshani