Re: [videoblogging] Re: Internet-Ready TV's from Major Brands Coming

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 7 , May 24 12:18 PM
      I've always assumed that none of them will really end up with proper
      browsers - just content portals full of pre-selected channels from
      commercial partners.
      This is how we will all get shut out.

      From the article:

      "Philips is calling its internet service Net-TV. Devices in the 9000
      series work with WLAN, while those in the 8000 series and the
      widescreen 21:9 models work with LAN connections. Unlike other
      manufacturers, Philips allows the internet information to take up the
      entire screen.

      The user gets started by navigating to the Net-TV home page. Philips
      has established partnerships with content providers willing to adapt
      their content for the TV screen. In Germany this includes major web
      sites like tagesschau.de, bild.de, kicker.de and YouTube as well as
      MyAlbum as a photo archive. It's also possible to enter in internet
      addresses directly, although Net-TV is unable to work with either Java
      or Flash.

      At Panasonic the internet mode is called Viera Cast and involves
      little program windows surrounding a reduced-sized TV image. These
      "widgets" show the weather, stock prices from Bloomberg TV, latest
      headlines and videos television stations as well as clips from
      YouTube. Viera Cast is slated to be integrated into the V 10, G 15 and
      Z 1 devices.

      Samsung has dubbed its programme Internet@TV. It provides only one
      program window next to the TV image. That can be YouTube clips, as
      well as headlines or weather reports delivered from Yahoo. The photos
      section is provided via the Flickr service."