Re: Is This Legal?

  • Christopher Polack
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2009
      As long as the pictures are taken from a public location, it's okay.

      I carry a copy of the Photographer's Right in my wallet. You can get a PDF of it here:

      http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

      "The general rule in the United States is that anyone may take photographs of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs."

      I encourage everyone to carry a copy of this to refer to in case they are confronted.

      Topher

      www.christopherpolack.com
    • Lan Bui
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2009
        I'm pretty sure if you make them angry enough they will try to sue you. No matter if you broke the law or not.

        So... to maximize protection of yourself you can present the videos as "news" and not a campaign against them.
      • ~ FluxRostrum
        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2009
          If the developer bought up the houses.. there not private homes.

          sounds like NEWS to me and an awesome video.

          I think it would be legal to film anyone's home from the public street if you are not also giving their name and address.
          All bets off of course for public figures.

          Can't wait to see it.

          Solidarity,
          ~FluxRostrum

          current project
          http://MobileBroadcastNews.org
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          homebase
          http://Fluxview.com

          ~~~
          NOTICE: NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection.
          ~~~

          --
          Powered By Outblaze
        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2009
            Hi everyone:

            I know I'm replying via Jay here BUT....

            Are the homes in question in your community? If so, then the video could be considered an act of activism if area residents are planning some type of protest. If the protest goes sour, you can do what Josh Wolf did as you would have journalistic protection (Even though the law has yet to legally recognize those in the so-called "new media" as being actual journalists).

            But then again, I'm no lawyer either SO..........

            Hope this helps

            Cheers :)

            Pat Cook
            patsblogs@...
            Denver, CO
            BLOGS & PODCASTS
            AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturns.webs.com/
            AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.webs.com/

            To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
            From: jay.dedman@...
            Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:45:19 +1000
            Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Is This Legal?

            > Is is legal to show someone else's private house on TV and/or online without

            > their permission? I am doing a video about a developer who bought up several

            > houses in one area with the intention of demolishing them and turning the

            > residential neighborhood commercial. Area residents are not amused. I don't

            > think he will be either when he sees the video.

            I am not a lawyer, but nothing you plan to show sounds illegal.

            http://ryanishungry.com

            http://jaydedman.com

            http://twitter.com/jaydedman