Fun with YouTube's Audio Content ID System

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2009
      http://www.csh.rit.edu/~parallax/

      I don't consider myself to be much more than a casual YouTube user. I'll

      --
      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com

    • Michael Verdi
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2009
        That's a pretty amazing (and thorough) write up. I just uploaded 3
        videos to youtube with music on them and they passed. The first two
        use a track that's a mashup of Radiohead and Jay-Z called "Dirt off
        your andrioid." The 3rd video uses some unmodified pieces of Robot
        Rock by Daft Punk and even though it's a very repetitive song neither
        of the sections come first 30 seconds of the song.

        Looks like my next video should work too. The good part of "Mr.
        Roboto" doesn't kick in until about 40 seconds in.

        - Verdi

        On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
        > http://www.csh.rit.edu/~parallax/
        >
        > I don't consider myself to be much more than a casual YouTube user. I'll
        >> upload maybe one or two things a year, but nothing amazing or anything I put
        >> any real effort into.
        >>
        >> For example, one of my videos depicts three members of my high school's
        >> marching band dressed in pajamas at an overly girly sleepover. The song used
        >> in the background was "I Know What Boys Like" by The Waitresses. I thought
        >> it was hilarious when I was 17, but I had all but forgotten about it five
        >> years later.
        >>
        >> I was caught by surprise one day when I received an automated email from
        >> YouTube informing me that my video had a music rights issue and it was
        >> removed from the site. I didn't really care.
        >>
        >> Then a car commercial parody I made (arguably one of my better videos) was
        >> taken down because I used an unlicensed song. That pissed me off. I couldn't
        >> easily go back and re-edit the video to remove the song, as the source media
        >> had long since been archived in a shoebox somewhere. And I couldn't simply
        >> re-upload the video, as it got identified and taken down every time. I
        >> needed to find a way to outsmart the fingerprinter. I was angry and I had a
        >> lot of free time. Not a good combination.
        >>
        >> I racked my brain trying to think of every possible audio manipulation that
        >> might get by the fingerprinter. I came up with an almost-scientific method
        >> for testing each modification, and I got to work.
        >>

        > --
        > http://ryanishungry.com
        > http://jaydedman.com
        > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
        > 917 371 6790

        http://michaelverdi.com
      • Renat Zarbailov
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2009
          I had the same situation with music that I use for my on-going international dance project called iDance (www.imtv.us). The solution I found that works for the youtube robot not to be able to distinguish whether the soundtrack is copyright or not is keeping the street noise in the video that was picked up by the camcorder mike during filming of an iDance.

          Here is a sample of what I did with this video that was blocked by youtube when I initially uploaded without street noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gjF50Aam3c

          In this one I actually found an audio clip from freesound.org that was recorded on the streets of the Times Square in NYC. Worked like a charm...

          It's good to know that youtube only scans 30 seconds into the video for any copyright music. On my next iDance I will try to keep the street noise only for the first like 40 seconds into the clip and then fade out that audio track for the music to come through clean.

          Thanks for the idea Jay!

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Verdi <michaelverdi@...> wrote:

          > That's a pretty amazing (and thorough) write up. I just uploaded 3
          > videos to youtube with music on them and they passed. The first two
          > use a track that's a mashup of Radiohead and Jay-Z called "Dirt off
          > your andrioid." The 3rd video uses some unmodified pieces of Robot
          > Rock by Daft Punk and even though it's a very repetitive song neither
          > of the sections come first 30 seconds of the song.
          >
          > Looks like my next video should work too. The good part of "Mr.
          > Roboto" doesn't kick in until about 40 seconds in.
          >
          > - Verdi
          >
          > On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
          > > http://www.csh.rit.edu/~parallax/
          > >
          > > I don't consider myself to be much more than a casual YouTube user. I'll
          > >> upload maybe one or two things a year, but nothing amazing or anything I put
          > >> any real effort into.
          > >>
          > >> For example, one of my videos depicts three members of my high school's
          > >> marching band dressed in pajamas at an overly girly sleepover. The song used
          > >> in the background was "I Know What Boys Like" by The Waitresses. I thought
          > >> it was hilarious when I was 17, but I had all but forgotten about it five
          > >> years later.
          > >>
          > >> I was caught by surprise one day when I received an automated email from
          > >> YouTube informing me that my video had a music rights issue and it was
          > >> removed from the site. I didn't really care.
          > >>
          > >> Then a car commercial parody I made (arguably one of my better videos) was
          > >> taken down because I used an unlicensed song. That pissed me off. I couldn't
          > >> easily go back and re-edit the video to remove the song, as the source media
          > >> had long since been archived in a shoebox somewhere. And I couldn't simply
          > >> re-upload the video, as it got identified and taken down every time. I
          > >> needed to find a way to outsmart the fingerprinter. I was angry and I had a
          > >> lot of free time. Not a good combination.
          > >>
          > >> I racked my brain trying to think of every possible audio manipulation that
          > >> might get by the fingerprinter. I came up with an almost-scientific method
          > >> for testing each modification, and I got to work.
          > >>

          > > --
          > > http://ryanishungry.com
          > > http://jaydedman.com
          > > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
          > > 917 371 6790

          > http://michaelverdi.com

        • Gena
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2009
            I'm working on a education PSA project and I'd like to use snippets from contemporary music. If I can find public domain or other tunes that is great and my primary focus but this is what irks me about trying to lock down music.

            There are certain songs that don't really belong to the music companies. They are as much my cultural heritage or a marker for a cultural place in time. If I wanted to do a educational video poem about 1968 I'd have to use War by Edwin Star or 4 Dead in Ohio by CSN(Y?) not the whole song but a segment.

            I am straight up non-commercial but with YT wrapping ads around the videos my fair use is being subverted by the web hosting company. True, I don't have to use YT but I now find myself in a situation where never say never has just bite me in the ass.

            I have been asked to post to YT a small series of PSA/Information videos on cyber safety for women, power of voices and god knows what else. I'm gonna get Ralph on in the comments for telling women how to protect themselves. Oh Joy.

            This info is a great help but it is sad that we have to go through the hoops to keep aspects of our heritiage alive, following fair use rules and still getting the shaft.

            Not happy,
            Gena
            http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com