The Interwebs show, business of tech and new media

  • Adam Quirk
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
      Video globbers,
      I just launched a new project that you folks may find mildly interesting.

      It's called The Interwebs, a weekly show about the business of tech and new
      media. We're going to try to make it 60% smart and 60% funny.

      Most pertinent to this list is our closing segment each week called Vital
      Signs, in which my co-producer Nate and I openly discuss our statistics,
      viewership, and finances; all the other ins and outs of producing a show for
      the web. AOL keyword: transparency.

      This week Vital Signs starts at around the 7:04 mark:
      http://theinterwebs.tv/post/92264825/welcome-to-the-interwebs-0-24-this-week-nate

      Eat it all though if you have time, it's good food.

      Ok,
      AQ

      @quirk
      wreckandsalvage.com
      theinterwebs.tv

    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
        Interesting stuff,

        I like the style.

        I didnt really understand where the 4000 views came from exactly or the nature of the deal you mentioned.

        Some strange red frames flashing and interlacing comb lines near the end though :(

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:

        > Video globbers,
        > I just launched a new project that you folks may find mildly interesting.
        >
        > It's called The Interwebs, a weekly show about the business of tech and new
        > media. We're going to try to make it 60% smart and 60% funny.
        >
        > Most pertinent to this list is our closing segment each week called Vital
        > Signs, in which my co-producer Nate and I openly discuss our statistics,
        > viewership, and finances; all the other ins and outs of producing a show for
        > the web. AOL keyword: transparency.
        >
        > This week Vital Signs starts at around the 7:04 mark:
        > http://theinterwebs.tv/post/92264825/welcome-to-the-interwebs-0-24-this-week-nate
        >
        > Eat it all though if you have time, it's good food.
        >
        > Ok,
        > AQ
        >
        > @quirk
        > wreckandsalvage.com
        > theinterwebs.tv

      • Michael Sullivan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
          i saw a few episodes a few weeks ago. was that a dream? i think i stumbled
          upon it somehow.
          maybe i AOL Keyworded it ;)

          On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Adam Quirk <quirk@...>wrote:

          > Video globbers,
          > I just launched a new project that you folks may find mildly interesting.
          >
          > It's called The Interwebs, a weekly show about the business of tech and new
          > media. We're going to try to make it 60% smart and 60% funny.
          >
          > Most pertinent to this list is our closing segment each week called Vital
          > Signs, in which my co-producer Nate and I openly discuss our statistics,
          > viewership, and finances; all the other ins and outs of producing a show
          > for
          > the web. AOL keyword: transparency.
          >
          > This week Vital Signs starts at around the 7:04 mark:
          >
          > http://theinterwebs.tv/post/92264825/welcome-to-the-interwebs-0-24-this-week-nate
          >
          > Eat it all though if you have time, it's good food.
          >
          > Ok,
          > AQ
          >
          > @quirk
          > wreckandsalvage.com
          > theinterwebs.tv

        • Adam Quirk
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
            Yeah we ran five abbreviated shows during SXSW, but this is the first
            full-length episode.
            Next week we're adding another segment called Web 1.0: Where Are They Now?
            in which we talk to the founder of Bolt.com about the glory days before the
            bubble.

            On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>wrote:

            > i saw a few episodes a few weeks ago. was that a dream? i think i
            > stumbled
            > upon it somehow.
            > maybe i AOL Keyworded it ;)
            >
            > On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Adam Quirk <quirk@...
            > >wrote:
            >
            > > Video globbers,
            > > I just launched a new project that you folks may find mildly interesting.
            > >
            > > It's called The Interwebs, a weekly show about the business of tech and
            > new
            > > media. We're going to try to make it 60% smart and 60% funny.
            > >
            > > Most pertinent to this list is our closing segment each week called Vital
            > > Signs, in which my co-producer Nate and I openly discuss our statistics,
            > > viewership, and finances; all the other ins and outs of producing a show
            > > for
            > > the web. AOL keyword: transparency.
            > >
            > > This week Vital Signs starts at around the 7:04 mark:
            > >

            > http://theinterwebs.tv/post/92264825/welcome-to-the-interwebs-0-24-this-week-nate
            > >
            > > Eat it all though if you have time, it's good food.
            > >
            > > Ok,
            > > AQ
            > >
            > > @quirk
            > > wreckandsalvage.com
            > > theinterwebs.tv

          • Ben Halverson
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
              I tried viewing with my iPhone but the it didn't work.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Apr 3, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Adam Quirk <quirk@...>
              wrote:

              > Video globbers,
              > I just launched a new project that you folks may find mildly
              > interesting.
              >
              > It's called The Interwebs, a weekly show about the business of tech
              > and new
              > media. We're going to try to make it 60% smart and 60% funny.
              >
              > Most pertinent to this list is our closing segment each week called
              > Vital
              > Signs, in which my co-producer Nate and I openly discuss our
              > statistics,
              > viewership, and finances; all the other ins and outs of producing a
              > show for
              > the web. AOL keyword: transparency.
              >
              > This week Vital Signs starts at around the 7:04 mark:
              > http://theinterwebs.tv/post/92264825/welcome-to-the-interwebs-0-24-this-week-nate
              >
              > Eat it all though if you have time, it's good food.
              >
              > Ok,
              > AQ
              >
              > @quirk
              > wreckandsalvage.com
              > theinterwebs.tv

            • Rupert
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
                It's like Diggnation and Epic Fu in a menage a trois with Wreck and
                Salvage.

                I like your style. If I watched tech shows, I'd watch this. Although
                I do watch Epic Fu, when I'm watching things. And GETV. So I do
                watch tech shows.

                I love the lofi look and attitude, but the lofi sound not so much -
                it's hard on the attention span. i think you can get away with all
                sorts of visual craziness if the sound is clear, but you try people's
                patience if they're straining to make out what's being said in formal
                interviews. in the phone segment, i like the crap handheld mic
                thing, but maybe it could just be a prop, and you could really mic
                them separately? the outside interview with Chris Sacca was cool for
                its slightly greasy video-light look, but maybe you could have had the
                handheld mic there instead of the camera mic picking up all the
                ambient noise, or used lapels to keep the informal nature of the
                chat? As it is, it sounds like the scene is being lit by a
                flamethrower.

                Your stats are Blip, and you said you're hosting with Blip to get them
                onside - are you not also putting it on YouTube and other sharing
                sites to get more views?

                On 3-Apr-09, at 9:25 AM, Adam Quirk wrote:

                > Video globbers,
                > I just launched a new project that you folks may find mildly
                > interesting.
                >
                > It's called The Interwebs, a weekly show about the business of tech
                > and new
                > media. We're going to try to make it 60% smart and 60% funny.
                >
                > Most pertinent to this list is our closing segment each week called
                > Vital
                > Signs, in which my co-producer Nate and I openly discuss our
                > statistics,
                > viewership, and finances; all the other ins and outs of producing a
                > show for
                > the web. AOL keyword: transparency.
                >
                > This week Vital Signs starts at around the 7:04 mark:
                > http://theinterwebs.tv/post/92264825/welcome-to-the-interwebs-0-24-this-week-nate
                >
                > Eat it all though if you have time, it's good food.
                >
                > Ok,
                > AQ
                >
                > @quirk
                > wreckandsalvage.com
                > theinterwebs.tv

              • Adam Quirk
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
                  I agree completely about the sound, you'd think I would know better by now.
                  Thing is, that outdoor interview was impromptu and I didn't have any
                  equipment with me. The gals are new to video and shot a lot of that segment
                  themselves, but are definitely learning fast. We'll use lapels for the
                  in-studio stuff from now on. I don't remember why we didn't in the first
                  place. Probably booze.
                  So there are my excuses, along with a promise that next episode will be
                  better. I've already shot a couple segments for it, both of which are mic'd
                  properly.

                  We send our stuff out to TubeMogul as well, and have a few hundred views
                  across the other various platforms, but we're concentrating on building our
                  on-site audience with the blip player for now. We're using blip for a bunch
                  of reasons, but mostly because they're the best at finding sponsorships
                  deals for shows.

                • Rupert
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2009
                    Yeah, sorry if that sounded overly opinionated.
                    That said, here's another opinion.

                    You should do some SEO for the Interwebs. And W&S. But the kind of
                    stuff you're reporting on in W&S are things people are going to be
                    searching for right now. Obopay, Nokia, Skype on iPhone, etc.

                    In social media, we're all obsessed with building word of mouth, but
                    if you do SEO you'll get far more people coming to you through search.

                    Basic stuff you can do now which will have a big effect:
                    Give each post an HTML page Title with keywords in it - titles of
                    companies discussed in post, etc.
                    Give each post an H1 level title with the same or slightly different
                    info. Most blogs' H1 is their blog name, which is hopeless - this is
                    the headline Google looks for after the page Title.
                    Add meta description and keywords to each post - don't believe the
                    people who say this has no effect any more - I've tracked it working
                    on Twittervlog.
                    Get backlinks from your own sites, preferably each week in new posts,
                    and make sure the link anchor text has keywords in it - not just "The
                    interwebs" or your URL. You have PageRank 5 & PR4 on innonate and
                    bullemhead, so they will pass good PR juice onto interwebs.tv and
                    start giving you a PR there. Get links from anywhere else (preferably
                    pages with good PR) to each post, with anchor text - and blag links in
                    vlogrolls, blogrolls.
                    Get an XML sitemap in your root directory, to Google-preferred specs.
                    With Wordpress you can do all this easily with the SEO pack plugin and
                    the Google sitemap plugin. Otherwise you can just hand code it all.
                    If you want, you can track all your performance using an app like
                    Advanced Web Ranking.

                    I've been doing SEO for a local company since I've been in Canada.
                    The guy I work for is very good at it - the good SEO, not the creepy
                    SEO. I've learnt a lot, and the last couple of months I've started to
                    SEO Twittervlog a bit, with immediate effects. I suddenly have
                    thousands of people through to my site through search. Even though I
                    haven't posted video for 4 months. Text posts I did in January on the
                    Oscars and the Tate Altermodern show were getting page 1 or 2
                    positions on Google.

                    As well as measuring the difference it's made to Twittervlog, I've
                    also put all the vlogs on my People I Watch page into my Advanced Web
                    Ranking, to measure their performance on 250-500 phrases chosen by me
                    and suggested by the Google keyword tool as popular phrases related to
                    online video, videoblogging, etc. Almost none of them feature at all
                    in the first 100 results on Google, MSN or Yahoo for any of the phrases.

                    I think the social media thing has blinded most of us to optimizing
                    our sites for search, which is the way most people navigate the web.
                    And blogs have an extra advantage in SEO, as Google and MSN view blog
                    posts as more likely to be relevant content. So we should all be
                    ranking better.

                    YouTube videos still have an unfair advantage on Google, too - they
                    stick them halfway down the first results page, so make sure your
                    description and tags are full of the right info. Blip's search
                    engine rankings on the other hand are not nearly as good as Vimeo or
                    Mefeedia (who do very well in results, second only to YouTube).

                    I might do a brief video about this next week for videoblogging week
                    so you all can see what I'm talking about.

                    Rupert
                    http://twittervlog.tv

                  • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2009
                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                      > I might do a brief video about this next week for videoblogging week
                      > so you all can see what I'm talking about.

                      I hope you do! I sure could use it. I think we all could. Great explanation of SEO.

                      Stan

                      Stan Hirson
                      http://PinePlainsViews.com
                      http://LifeWithHorses.com
                      coming: http://ThinkingGlobalActingLocal.com
                    • Jeffrey Taylor
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2009
                        Finally, a tech show that's more substance and less boobies!

                        P.S. Do a search for the Yahoo Videoblogging Group. It needs to be SEO'd
                        (especially the video links) if anyone feels inclined to spend the time.

                        --
                        Jeffrey Taylor
                        912 Cole St, #349

                      • Rupert
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2009
                          That's on my to do list for next week - a post and video titled "Yahoo
                          videoblogging group" should push to the top of results. I just added
                          the link to the group to the very bottom of my People I Watch page two
                          weeks ago - but I just checked and that page is in the Google results
                          already for [yahoo videoblogging group] and [videoblogging group] - #3
                          & #4 on Google UK. So it's obviously not a hard phrase to get results
                          for, and if a few people write posts about the group, they'll push the
                          old stuff - particularly that lame Feldman video - off the top page
                          quite quickly.

                          Rupert
                          http://twittervlog.tv