Has anybody used the Xacti E2?

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
      I know a bunch of you have used the E1 - and I've loved the quality of
      the images that people like Ryanne & Jay have captured with it,
      despite the occasional water-related failure. I don't want an HD
      Xacti - I just need 640x480 - and the Waterproof feature will be
      useful, but the only thing available round here is an E2, not an E1.
      Reports of performance please!

      Rupert
      http://twittervlog.tv
    • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

        > I know a bunch of you have used the E1 - and I've loved the quality of
        > the images that people like Ryanne & Jay have captured with it,
        > despite the occasional water-related failure. I don't want an HD
        > Xacti - I just need 640x480 - and the Waterproof feature will be
        > useful, but the only thing available round here is an E2, not an E1.
        > Reports of performance please!

        Rupert,

        I use the E1 on occasion as a "carry" camera. I just want to contribute some experience that might improve the quality of the E2, too. First, I found the camera very hard to hold steady and get smooth moves because the center of gravity was too high. I rigged up a weight that I could screw into the tripod socket (fortunately it's a 1/4 20 stove bolt thread). It was a kind of shim from a combine that one of the local farmers gave me. It was the heaviest/smallest thing I could find and it really works well. If you would like a photo, I could post one. But the weight made a huge difference. Short of using the combine shim, I'm sure you can rummage something up and try it.

        The other tip. I found it really impossible to shoot on a sunny day because of the glossy finish (waterproof protection?) on the screen. Tried a hood, but that was dinky and annoying. Next best thing was something from my old TV studio days. Dulling spray. Wipes off easily, puts on a nice matte finish that cuts down the glare.

        I like having a waterproof/weatherproof camera.

        Good luck.

        Stan

        Stan Hirson
        http://PinePlainsViews.com
        http://LifeWithHorses.com
        and coming: http://ThinkingGlobalActingLocal.com
      • Clintus
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
          Hey Rupert, I haven't used it personally but I've seen footage from it and it looks just as good if not better than the E1. The only thing that turned me off from it was the low light value was only half of that of the E1. The lux value was almost double. So if you don't plan on using it in low light situations then you should be golden.

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

          > I know a bunch of you have used the E1 - and I've loved the quality of
          > the images that people like Ryanne & Jay have captured with it,
          > despite the occasional water-related failure. I don't want an HD
          > Xacti - I just need 640x480 - and the Waterproof feature will be
          > useful, but the only thing available round here is an E2, not an E1.
          > Reports of performance please!
          >
          > Rupert
          > http://twittervlog.tv

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
            Brilliant - that's exactly what I needed to know. Low light is super
            important to me. I'm *always* shooting in low light.

            Since I can't get hold of any other Xactis out here in the sticks and
            I need a camera quite quickly, I think I'm going to give the Xactis
            another pass and get myself the new Canon Powershot SD960IS from
            Future Shop. It apparently has quite good quality 1280x720 video.
            I've always been impressed with the more expensive Canon point and
            shoot cameras' video quality and low light performance, so we'll see
            what happens with this. I guess if it's not up to par I can always
            take it back...

            I do yearn for that Xacti pistol grip, though...

            On 4-Apr-09, at 8:12 PM, Clintus wrote:
            > Hey Rupert, I haven't used it personally but I've seen footage from
            > it and it looks just as good if not better than the E1. The only
            > thing that turned me off from it was the low light value was only
            > half of that of the E1. The lux value was almost double. So if you
            > don't plan on using it in low light situations then you should be
            > golden.
            >
            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I know a bunch of you have used the E1 - and I've loved the
            > quality of
            > > the images that people like Ryanne & Jay have captured with it,
            > > despite the occasional water-related failure. I don't want an HD
            > > Xacti - I just need 640x480 - and the Waterproof feature will be
            > > useful, but the only thing available round here is an E2, not an E1.
            > > Reports of performance please!
            > >
            > > Rupert
            > > http://twittervlog.tv

          • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2009
              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

              > I do yearn for that Xacti pistol grip, though...
              >

              > > > Rupert
              > > > http://twittervlog.tv

              I don't want to start a debate here, but there are some trade-offs depending on what kind of shooting you are doing. If you are trying to be unobtrusive and not call attention to the camera, there is something to be said about using a camera that has a rotating viewfinder like the Xacti. You do not have to hold the camera straight out in front of you in order to frame. I often hold the camera below chest-level and tilt the screen up. That way I can also brace my wrist against my body for steadiness. As I pointed out earlier, the pistol grip is great, but it can cause the camera to wobble because the center of gravity is above your hand. With my weight modification it is much steadier. I can form a loose ring around the pistol grip and the weight forms a gimbal mount. You can make great moves. I shot a friend's wedding quite extensively and a couple of weeks later I ran into the hired photographer who had no idea that I had been shooting video.

              I sympathize with your comment about being in the sticks. I'm on a farm a couple of hours from the city... It's hard to try stuff out.

              Stan

              Stan Hirson
              http://PinePlainsViews.com