question: laptop for video editing

  • Roshani Kothari
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
      Hello everyone,
      I am leaning towards getting a macbook for video editing.
      What do you think of this one?
      Any specific pc laptops that are good for video editing?
      Thanks.
      Roshani

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
        The more important question is what program you want to use for
        editing. If you need Final Cut Pro and can spend $1300 on it, you
        need to get a Mac. If you just need basic editing or even medium-
        featured editing, it doesn't really matter whether you have Mac or PC
        - you can use Sony Vegas on a PC ($50) and iMovie on a Mac (free).
        Then it's a question of what you use in the rest of your life. If
        they're surrounded by PCs at work and home, some people prefer to
        stick with PC - just make sure you get a PC with a speedy processor
        and lots of RAM.
        I've been using Macs for video for 10 years, and I prefer the
        interface. But I've also use PCs a lot for work, and have done some
        video using Vegas, and it's pretty good too - better in some ways than
        iMovie, but not as good as the much more expensive Final Cut Pro if
        you want to do lots of fancy stuff. So it's all about what you're
        going to use it for and what you're comfortable with.

        Rupert
        http://twittervlog.tv

        On 3-Apr-09, at 8:52 AM, Roshani Kothari wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        > I am leaning towards getting a macbook for video editing.
        > What do you think of this one?
        > Any specific pc laptops that are good for video editing?
        > Thanks.
        > Roshani

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
          From: "Rupert"

          > The more important question is what program you want to use for
          > editing. If you need Final Cut Pro and can spend $1300 on it, you
          > need to get a Mac. If you just need basic editing or even medium-
          > featured editing, it doesn't really matter whether you have Mac or PC
          > - you can use Sony Vegas on a PC ($50) and iMovie on a Mac (free).
          (snip)
          > I've been using Macs for video for 10 years, and I prefer the
          > interface. But I've also use PCs a lot for work, and have done some
          > video using Vegas, and it's pretty good too - better in some ways than
          > iMovie, but not as good as the much more expensive Final Cut Pro if
          > you want to do lots of fancy stuff. So it's all about what you're
          > going to use it for and what you're comfortable with.

          You are comparing apples to oranges. First, like Final Cut, there are
          multiple versions of Sony's Vegas. The "consumer" version is Sony Vegas
          Movie Studio .. but even that comes in, I believe, three different versions.
          Then you have the professional version called Sony Vegas Pro. THAT program
          lists for $550.00 US.

          Vegas Pro can stand toe to toe with Final Cut Pro anyday. Yes, there are
          things that one can do and the other can't .. but it works both ways. Each
          is a professional level video editor.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
            Here we go. The question was "I am leaning toward getting a Macbook -
            are there also PC laptops that are good for editing."

            I guessed that Roshani wasn't interested in professional editing - the
            question was a general one about whether you can edit on PC as well -
            so I was trying to illustrate that for most general video editing, it
            doesn't really matter whether you use PC or Mac.

            If you read what I said, I did not say that if you were a professional
            you had to use a Mac and FCP. I was telling Roshani, who was thinking
            about getting a Macbook, that the only reason to buy a Macbook for
            video editing is if you need to use FCP and can spend $1300 on it.

            I should have added another paragraph about the high end video editing
            packages for PC just to make it clear that this was a software
            requirement I was talking about, not a professionalism requirement.
            I'm sure Vegas Pro can stand toe to toe with Final Cut Studio - I
            haven't tested them against each other. I do know a lot more
            professionals who use FCP than Vegas and Premiere. Perhaps that's
            just because they don't know about Vegas and have false preconceptions
            about Mac being better than PC for this stuff. I also know a few AVID
            editors and even a guy who still uses Lightworks. You could probably
            give them all PCP and make them fight about what's best.

            But at the low end - and possibly at the highest possible end - it
            doesn't matter whether you have a Mac or PC for video editing, unless
            someone else is dictating your software requirements or you really
            prefer a particular application or interface. The Mac/PC decision
            should be made for other reasons. If you prefer Mac, get Mac. If you
            prefer PC, get PC.

            Rupert
            http://twittervlog.tv

            As a succinct appraisal of whether you need to get a Mac to do video
            editing, I thought it was OK.