Re: [videoblogging] Re: Video blogging history/evolution

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 7:39 AM
      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:10 PM, ultimcodex@...
      <ultimcodex@...> wrote:
      > 2 or 3 years ago i made a graph here
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/loiezd/2068174027/sizes/o/

      I forgot about this graph. added to our wiki:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/loiezd/2068174027/sizes/o/

      > For people of East Europe the Vlogeurope group is also a good history
      > http://www.vlogeurope.com/blog/

      Yes... Loiez, Raymond, Gabriel, Mark, and other in Europe have helped
      push ideas through Vlogeurope.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com
      http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1 7:46 AM
        > What connects to YouTube community, I think that those who started blogging
        > didn't feel the real "joy" of the video blogging start, like felt you people
        > (I guess), who had began from technical issues, and ending with
        > philosophical. In a sense, Youtubers' generation had everything "put on the
        > plate"..

        By the way, are there many people in Lithuania who are posting videos
        online? If so, can you send any links?

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://jaydedman.com
        http://twitter.com/jaydedman
        917 371 6790
      • Patrick Delongchamp
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1 11:44 AM
          Ah, the good old Wikipedia Vlogging article. It actually got nominated for
          deletion years ago due to a lack of reliable sources. I decided to clean it
          up and begin contributing sources to it and I managed to change the outcome
          of the vote. Let's just say it was a..uh..thankless job. :)

          I haven't contributed to it in years though and I agree that it has gone to
          shit. Pardon my merde. Let us know what you find.

          oh and watch out for Godwin's Law around this here town.

          pd

          On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:26 PM, gintaras.miskinis <
          gintaras.miskinis@...> wrote:

          > Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Unfortunately, "reliability" has been a point of contention. Some in
          > > this group may remember the dramedy trying to write the wikipedia page
          > > for videoblogging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videoblogging
          > > Newspapers/magazines must write about it for it to be "reliable".
          > > Makes a certain kind of sense. You got to capture the mainstream to be
          > > recognized. It's like a vetting process.
          > >
          > > Ive also learned that the "history of videoblogging" is wide and
          > > varied depending on what community you look at. This group has its own
          > > specific timeline that differs from people who began through Youtube
          > > exclusively.
          > >
          > > I can scan the chapter I wrote in my book if you'd like and email it to
          > you.
          > >
          > > Jay
          > >

          > > --
          > > http://ryanishungry.com
          > > http://jaydedman.com
          > > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
          > > 917 371 6790
          > >

          > Thank you for your reply too. It's an honor for me to be contacted from the
          > book author :)
          >
          > I made some thinking after I had read your shared thoughts and just have to
          > agree: it is sad, that sources, which are not mainstream, cannot be
          > trusted..well, officially.
          >
          > But on the other hand, a year ago, when I was writing a term paper about
          > "video blogging evolution" I used your mentioned wikipedia link, and this
          > year, I thought that I could use my a year ago written info in the final
          > paper, and when rechecked wikipedia - saw, that most of the facts where
          > different then I had found a year ago...it was experience from practical
          > side on my own..
          >
          > What connects to YouTube community, I think that those who started blogging
          > didn't feel the real "joy" of the video blogging start, like felt you people
          > (I guess), who had began from technical issues, and ending with
          > philosophical. In a sense, Youtubers' generation had everything "put on the
          > plate"..
          >
          > However, I would be very grateful if you could scan your mentioned chapter
          > and send it to me (to this yahoo mail if possible). You would help me a lot.
          >
          > Thanks again and sorry for my English.

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1 11:54 AM
            Cue mass googling of Godwin's law. That's funny.
            I liked this from the Wikipedia entry for Godwin's law:
            In a Christmas Day review of The Spirit, New York Times movie critic
            A.O. Scott suggested that "a similar axiom" to Godwin's Law, "applied
            to Hollywood, would stipulate that every movie star must eventually
            dress up in a German military uniform."

          • ~ FluxRostrum
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1 11:59 AM
              howdy Gintaras,

              what is sad to me (as someone who video Blogs documentary/news pieces)
              is this line of thought (which is not unique to you)
              that mainstream is trustworthy and independent is not.

              " it is sad, that sources, which are not mainstream,
              cannot be trusted..well, officially."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              If mainstream was trustworthy I would NEVER have been a video blogger.
              It was the main reason I choose to do this.

              You might want to be as skeptical of the mainstream as you are of independents.

              MAINSTREAM is controlled by the major corporations of the world and they give information biased to benefit their corporations at the cost of the truth and they will DENY this until death much like politicians.

              Independents Media sources are also biased but not toward the Corporate agenda.
              They are more openly biased, like an advocate.

              Solidarity,
              ~FluxRostrum

              homebase
              http://Fluxview.com

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              current project
              http://MobileBroadcastNews.org

              ~~~
              NOTICE: NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection.
              ~~~

              --
              Powered By Outblaze
            • gintaras.miskinis
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1 1:11 PM
                Hi,

                I totally agree with you. My words, that you cite is the attitude of my
                paper's chief and even university, because when student writes a
                scientific work, he must use, well, let's say the mainstream media and
                (or) scientific literature . In this case, as I've been searching for
                history events in video blogging, I haven't found any (except Jay
                Dedman's) "trusty" sources, that I could use like: "one author says,
                that video blogging started that way, that year, etc.", "second author
                says, that video blogging started absolutely not like that, like said
                first author" - that's called information sources analysis (of
                literature/journal's/posts). In this case, I just cannot compare, cite
                "forum posts" and put them in bibliography list, which is very
                formal...For me, as student and citizen, it is no difference: is it
                mainstream or not. In mainstream I can hear "the official side" of the
                fact/topic, and in the blog I can find the "backstage" of the same
                fact/topic, and the information I find on the blog, is up to me - to
                trust or not (search for more info, etc.).

                However, tomorrow, I'm going to meet my chief, and we will discuss about
                that, and the results of "trustworthy and not sources" I will write
                here...Thanks for posting !

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "~ FluxRostrum" <FluxRostrum@...>
                wrote:

                > howdy Gintaras,
                >
                > what is sad to me (as someone who video Blogs documentary/news pieces)
                > is this line of thought (which is not unique to you)
                > that mainstream is trustworthy and independent is not.
                >
                > " it is sad, that sources, which are not mainstream,
                > cannot be trusted..well, officially."
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                >
                > If mainstream was trustworthy I would NEVER have been a video blogger.
                > It was the main reason I choose to do this.
                >
                > You might want to be as skeptical of the mainstream as you are of
                independents.

                > MAINSTREAM is controlled by the major corporations of the world and
                they give information biased to benefit their corporations at the cost
                of the truth and they will DENY this until death much like politicians.

                > Independents Media sources are also biased but not toward the
                Corporate agenda.
                > They are more openly biased, like an advocate.
                >
                > Solidarity,
                > ~FluxRostrum
                >
                > homebase
                > http://Fluxview.com
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > current project
                > http://MobileBroadcastNews.org
                >
                > ~~~
                > NOTICE: NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Due to Presidential Executive Orders,
                the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning,
                warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative
                oversight. You have no recourse nor protection.
                > ~~~
                >

                > --
                > Powered By Outblaze

              • gintaras.miskinis
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1 1:18 PM
                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "gintaras.miskinis" <gintaras.miskinis@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I totally agree with you. My words, that you cite is the attitude of my
                  > paper's chief and even university, because when student writes a
                  > scientific work, he must use, well, let's say the mainstream media and
                  > (or) scientific literature . In this case, as I've been searching for
                  > history events in video blogging, I haven't found any (except Jay
                  > Dedman's) "trusty" sources, that I could use like: "one author says,
                  > that video blogging started that way, that year, etc.", "second author
                  > says, that video blogging started absolutely not like that, like said
                  > first author" - that's called information sources analysis (of
                  > literature/journal's/posts). In this case, I just cannot compare, cite
                  > "forum posts" and put them in bibliography list, which is very
                  > formal...For me, as student and citizen, it is no difference: is it
                  > mainstream or not. In mainstream I can hear "the official side" of the
                  > fact/topic, and in the blog I can find the "backstage" of the same
                  > fact/topic, and the information I find on the blog, is up to me - to
                  > trust or not (search for more info, etc.).
                  >
                  > However, tomorrow, I'm going to meet my chief, and we will discuss about
                  > that, and the results of "trustworthy and not sources" I will write
                  > here...Thanks for posting !

                  Just wanted to add, that a qualitative/trusty source, is a source which is written by a scientist or other person who is accepted by the society, i.e. has a expertise in branch. As I see, he must at leased published a book? (nonsense). Anyway, starting to get a headache of this unique case...
                • Rupert
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1 1:35 PM
                    Truth is a dead tree.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 1 1:38 PM
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSEaHyzbqTA

                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 1 1:46 PM
                        ...explain

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 1 1:49 PM
                          > By the way, are there many people in Lithuania who are posting videos
                          > online? If so, can you send any links?

                          > http://ryanishungry.com
                          > http://jaydedman.com
                          > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                          > 917 371 6790

                          There aren't many, actually. "Written" blogs are really popular, but video - hm...There are some:

                          http://marketingasinternete.wordpress.com - about marketing on the internet. In my opinion not very professional, because there are a lot of twaddle and not much valuable information.

                          http://www.zuokas.lt/category/video-kronika/page/2/ - some video posts of Lithuania's famous politician. Videos are uploaded very irregularly (what is common for all lithuanian video bloggers if we could name them like that).

                          http://www.skamp.lt/ - music band blog. Actually, there are quite qualitative videos that I liked.

                          http://www.zipfm.lt/putiklis/?laid-pava=2&kate=9&paie-zodi=&fail-tipa=-1 - local dj's and radio show manager's video blogs.

                          Last year, I also tried to put some entries on our local country's "youtube", and observed the reactions, which wrote in my paper..But I cannot call it a successful project. Just a few videos:
                          http://www.videogaga.lt/user/bwoy.

                          Briefly, I can say, that there are no professional video blogers (maybe except skamp.lt) in our country, that I could name even waken up in the middle of the night and that those blogs would be at least regular...
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 1 2:05 PM
                            > Last year, I also tried to put some entries on our local country's
                            > "youtube", and observed the reactions, which wrote in my paper..But I cannot
                            > call it a successful project. Just a few videos:
                            > http://www.videogaga.lt/user/bwoy.

                            To me, this is what it's all about. We can email back and forth like
                            this in text....but now we can actually see your face and hear you
                            talk. If you took your camera outside, you could introduce us to your
                            family and your world. As cheesy as it sounds, that's really the big
                            deal here. It can be as revolutionary as we want it to be.

                            http://ryanishungry.com
                            http://jaydedman.com
                            http://twitter.com/jaydedman