(slightly off topic) viewing stored videoblogs and other audio/video on a mac

  • Frank Carver
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2009
      Recently, my sprawling collection of computer hardware has expanded to
      include my first mac, a shiny new white macbook. After playing with
      most the installed software and adding a bunch of free sttuff
      (including, in this case, VLC, Perian and flip4Mac) I decided to
      explore enjoying some of my huge archive of video and audio. I have of
      the order of a terabyte of stored media which resides on several
      network-accessible drives. If I "connect to server" in the Finder and
      browse around, I am able to play any of the files simply by clicking
      on them. One of Quicktime, iTunes, or VLC opens up and everything
      works. This is a bit clumsy, though, so I thought I'd look for a more
      pleasant interface.

      First I gave FrontRow a try. Despite my best efforts all I could find
      were a bunch of internet trailers for movies I am not interested in. I
      could not even find a way to tell it where to look for media. So I
      gave up.

      Then I tried boxee, which I had seen mention of during the videos for
      VloMo last year. This also initially gave a load of unwanted movie
      trailers, but I did find some sort of setting which allowed me to
      browse to some stored media and set it as a "source", but whenever I
      tried to access it I just got a baffling "Error 2: share not
      available". So I uninstalled that one.

      I then tried a bunch of google searching for terms such as "mac media
      center" and found a bunch of possibilities, all of which seemed to
      imply that they do largely the same as FrontRow.

      On may various Windows boxes I have easily been able to use
      MediaMonkey (which is my current preference), RealPlayer and even
      Windows Media Player to index my media across multiple network drives
      and provide easy searching and browsing. I'm surprised that this seems
      so hard to find on my otherwise easy-to-operate mac.

      Can any of you experienced Mac users help me out? I'm sure there must
      be some fundamental "mac-ness" which I am missing here.

      Thanks,
      Frank