Re: [videoblogging] Re: Transparent Video Player

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      Hi everyone:

      The EASIEST way to make yourself "stick out from the herd" as it were would be to make your content compatible with as many devices as possible. This is why I'm doing 3GP versions of my latest videos (And perhaps some of the older ones as well) for my weight loss blog.

      With Apple's reluctance to accept 3GP & Flash as demanded formats by end users, we can't rely on the iPod alone to reach the masses because while it's true that millions of people DO own iPods, it's also true that MILLIONS MORE **DO NOT** own an iPod either (I know because I'm an example though I'd love to change change that someday :D ). Therefore, in order to reach people who don't iPods, you have to take aim at their cell phones (You can EXPORT TO a cell phone just as easily as you can import from a cell phone, ya know. It's just a little slower process).

      Either way you look at it (As I said before), there's more than one way to make yourself "stick out from the herd" as it were & adding a so-called "player like this just isn't the way IMO.

      Pat Cook
      Denver, CO
      AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
      AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
      THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
        Well the example you linked to had several different features, based on different technology.

        If you just want to play a normal video over the top of your page, that could probably be achieved with a bit of wordpress template modification & an understanding of html layers.

        The 'person standing over the top of the website' stuff relies on a feature that flash has had for a very long time - the ability to play videos with transparent backgrounds. To do this you need to get several steps right. First you have to make your source video so that it doesnt have a background, typically by using green screen or other technique to remove the background, then save the video in a format that supports alpha. Then you have to encode that into .flv format with the right options ticked to preserve the alpha channel. Then you need to play that video back on the web using a suitable flash video player.

        I do not know if there are 3rd party programs which support alpha-channel flv video encoding, I tried some months ago and ended up having to use flash itself, not a cheap option. But I may be missing something.

        Steve Elbows