Re: [videoblogging] Re: Transparent Video Player

  • Brook Hinton
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      I believe the only thing that will "separate (one's) videos from the
      thundering herd of sameo-sameo"
      is the videos themselves. True, reaching more people generally will help
      find more of your particular audience specifically, but while poor
      presentation might kill the context for a good piece, no presentation can
      make a piece better than it is.
      No one is going to go back to a video-based site because it has a really
      cool player. They will go back because the video they saw changed their
      life.

    • Michael Sullivan
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
        pat: consistently way off.

        On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone:
        >
        > Developers & marketers have been down this road before in the Web 1.0 world
        > with popup windows, banner ads & even embedded statically-located audio &
        > video players. ALL of these tactics have been defeated one way or another.
        > Flash ITSELF can be blocked by some IE clones & Firefox.
        >
        > If Flash ITSELF can be blocked, then HOW IN THE WORLD do you think this
        > player will work?
        >
        > In short, it's merely a repeat of history (Which IS NOT on the side of
        > marketers).
        >
        > THAT is why I say there is NO future whatsoever for this player.
        >
        > Just pointin' out the facts Jack....
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Pat Cook
        > patsblogs@... <patsblogs%40live.com>
        > Denver, CO
        > BLOGS & PODCASTS
        > AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
        > AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS -
        > http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
        > THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE -
        > http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

      • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

          > ...And I have to say, the talking
          > heads are usually trying to give you useful information about the
          > company - in a way that might be attractive or interesting to some
          > visitors who don't want to just read a lot of text. So contrary to
          > what Pat thinks, I think there's a lot of future for this kind of
          > player.

          Rupert's comment triggered some ideas. I have a few websites about rural life and culture. Many of my visitors have had very very little experience with the Internet and are unfamiliar with navigating within a browser. This continues to surprise me, but I don't want to give up on them. So, I was thinking... this transparent player might allow me to show people how to get around the site without having to go to an off-site tutorial. It seems to be able to float modules, too.

          At the moment, as there is no trial or interactive demo, I find it an expensive way to experiment. Unfortunately, I did not see any screen shots of an interface, etc.

          But I like the basic idea of pushing some boundaries of design of the web page. It can make it more interctive and springy, too. I can see how it would enhance story-telling...

          Oh well. I'll add it to the Maybe Later Purchase list. But I think such efforts should be encouraged.

          Stan Hirson
          http://PinePlainsViews.com
          http://LifeWithHorses.com
        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
            Hi everyone:

            The EASIEST way to make yourself "stick out from the herd" as it were would be to make your content compatible with as many devices as possible. This is why I'm doing 3GP versions of my latest videos (And perhaps some of the older ones as well) for my weight loss blog.

            With Apple's reluctance to accept 3GP & Flash as demanded formats by end users, we can't rely on the iPod alone to reach the masses because while it's true that millions of people DO own iPods, it's also true that MILLIONS MORE **DO NOT** own an iPod either (I know because I'm an example though I'd love to change change that someday :D ). Therefore, in order to reach people who don't iPods, you have to take aim at their cell phones (You can EXPORT TO a cell phone just as easily as you can import from a cell phone, ya know. It's just a little slower process).

            Either way you look at it (As I said before), there's more than one way to make yourself "stick out from the herd" as it were & adding a so-called "player like this just isn't the way IMO.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
              Well the example you linked to had several different features, based on different technology.

              If you just want to play a normal video over the top of your page, that could probably be achieved with a bit of wordpress template modification & an understanding of html layers.

              The 'person standing over the top of the website' stuff relies on a feature that flash has had for a very long time - the ability to play videos with transparent backgrounds. To do this you need to get several steps right. First you have to make your source video so that it doesnt have a background, typically by using green screen or other technique to remove the background, then save the video in a format that supports alpha. Then you have to encode that into .flv format with the right options ticked to preserve the alpha channel. Then you need to play that video back on the web using a suitable flash video player.

              I do not know if there are 3rd party programs which support alpha-channel flv video encoding, I tried some months ago and ended up having to use flash itself, not a cheap option. But I may be missing something.

              Cheers

              Steve Elbows