Xacti HD100 - iMovie '09 brick wall. Slamming my head into it. Repeatedly.

  • missbhavens1969
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
      So I bought the HD100 (long story, that) and I've got all this footage
      and I've been editing in iMovie '09 (which, incidentally, I hate so
      far)and I've got these finished several "projects" and I realized that
      I'd been working with the same export setting forever, and now I'm
      going to have to change them. Or, at least, I assume I do. AT any
      rate, this computer is new and I don't know what settings I had on the
      old one anyway.

      Can anyone point me in the direction of some keen export settings for
      this damn thing? Other wise, it's going back to WalMart.

      I'd really, really appreciate it.

      Thanks,
      Bek
    • David Howell
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
        Export settings...

        Movie to Quicktime Movie.

        Click Options.

        VIDEO
        Settings:
        Compression Type - H.264
        Frame Rate - Current
        Key Frames - Automatic
        Frame Reordering - Checked
        Compressor - Between Medium and High
        Encoding - Best Quality (Multi Pass)
        Data Rate - Automatic

        Click OK.

        Size:
        Dimensions - Custom - 640x360
        Deinterlace Source Video - Checked

        Click OK.

        SOUND
        Settings:
        Format - AAC
        Channels - Stereo
        Rate - 32.000kHz
        Render Settings - Best
        MPEG 4 AAC LC Encoding Settings: 96kbps

        Click OK.

        Prepare For Internet Streaming: Checked and set for fast start.

        Click OK.

        Click Save.

        Now every freaking Tom, Dick and Harry is going to come in here and pick apart every
        setting I've typed up here and offer their 2 cents worth as to why not to do that and why to
        do this. You've seen my videos and what they look like. These are my settings when
        exporting a Quicktime video after editing footage from the same camera as you.

        You shouldn't be editing the MP4 files that come off the camera. You need to uncompress
        them first. Here are the instructions for how to uncompress the Hi-Def video from an
        Xacti camera.

        Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

        David
        http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969" <missbhavens1969@...>
        wrote:

        > So I bought the HD100 (long story, that) and I've got all this footage
        > and I've been editing in iMovie '09 (which, incidentally, I hate so
        > far)and I've got these finished several "projects" and I realized that
        > I'd been working with the same export setting forever, and now I'm
        > going to have to change them. Or, at least, I assume I do. AT any
        > rate, this computer is new and I don't know what settings I had on the
        > old one anyway.
        >
        > Can anyone point me in the direction of some keen export settings for
        > this damn thing? Other wise, it's going back to WalMart.
        >
        > I'd really, really appreciate it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Bek

      • David Howell
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
          Dammit...

          I forgot to paste the instructions for uncompressing the Hi-Def video.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=g29PhkC2_PQ

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@...> wrote:

          > Export settings...
          >
          > Movie to Quicktime Movie.
          >
          > Click Options.
          >
          > VIDEO
          > Settings:
          > Compression Type - H.264
          > Frame Rate - Current
          > Key Frames - Automatic
          > Frame Reordering - Checked
          > Compressor - Between Medium and High
          > Encoding - Best Quality (Multi Pass)
          > Data Rate - Automatic
          >
          > Click OK.
          >
          > Size:
          > Dimensions - Custom - 640x360
          > Deinterlace Source Video - Checked
          >
          > Click OK.
          >
          > SOUND
          > Settings:
          > Format - AAC
          > Channels - Stereo
          > Rate - 32.000kHz
          > Render Settings - Best
          > MPEG 4 AAC LC Encoding Settings: 96kbps
          >
          > Click OK.
          >
          > Prepare For Internet Streaming: Checked and set for fast start.
          >
          > Click OK.
          >
          > Click Save.
          >
          > Now every freaking Tom, Dick and Harry is going to come in here and pick apart every
          > setting I've typed up here and offer their 2 cents worth as to why not to do that and why
          > do this. You've seen my videos and what they look like. These are my settings when
          > exporting a Quicktime video after editing footage from the same camera as you.
          >
          > You shouldn't be editing the MP4 files that come off the camera. You need to
          uncompress
          > them first. Here are the instructions for how to uncompress the Hi-Def video from an
          > Xacti camera.
          >
          > Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
          >
          > David
          > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
          >

          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969" <missbhavens1969@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > So I bought the HD100 (long story, that) and I've got all this footage
          > > and I've been editing in iMovie '09 (which, incidentally, I hate so
          > > far)and I've got these finished several "projects" and I realized that
          > > I'd been working with the same export setting forever, and now I'm
          > > going to have to change them. Or, at least, I assume I do. AT any
          > > rate, this computer is new and I don't know what settings I had on the
          > > old one anyway.
          > >
          > > Can anyone point me in the direction of some keen export settings for
          > > this damn thing? Other wise, it's going back to WalMart.
          > >
          > > I'd really, really appreciate it.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Bek

        • missbhavens1969
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
            Dude,
            you're like my Yoda. Thank you SO FLIPPIN' MUCH!

            Bek

            wrote:

            > Export settings...
            >
            > Movie to Quicktime Movie.
            >
            > Click Options.
            >
            > VIDEO
            > Settings:
            > Compression Type - H.264
            > Frame Rate - Current
            > Key Frames - Automatic
            > Frame Reordering - Checked
            > Compressor - Between Medium and High
            > Encoding - Best Quality (Multi Pass)
            > Data Rate - Automatic
            >
            > Click OK.
            >
            > Size:
            > Dimensions - Custom - 640x360
            > Deinterlace Source Video - Checked
            >
            > Click OK.
            >
            > SOUND
            > Settings:
            > Format - AAC
            > Channels - Stereo
            > Rate - 32.000kHz
            > Render Settings - Best
            > MPEG 4 AAC LC Encoding Settings: 96kbps
            >
            > Click OK.
            >
            > Prepare For Internet Streaming: Checked and set for fast start.
            >
            > Click OK.
            >
            > Click Save.
            >
            > Now every freaking Tom, Dick and Harry is going to come in here and
            pick apart every
            > setting I've typed up here and offer their 2 cents worth as to why
            not to do that and why to
            > do this. You've seen my videos and what they look like. These are my
            settings when
            > exporting a Quicktime video after editing footage from the same
            camera as you.

            > You shouldn't be editing the MP4 files that come off the camera. You
            need to uncompress
            > them first. Here are the instructions for how to uncompress the
            Hi-Def video from an
            > Xacti camera.
            >
            > Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
            >
            > David
            > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
            >

            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
            <missbhavens1969@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > So I bought the HD100 (long story, that) and I've got all this footage
            > > and I've been editing in iMovie '09 (which, incidentally, I hate so
            > > far)and I've got these finished several "projects" and I realized that
            > > I'd been working with the same export setting forever, and now I'm
            > > going to have to change them. Or, at least, I assume I do. AT any
            > > rate, this computer is new and I don't know what settings I had on the
            > > old one anyway.
            > >
            > > Can anyone point me in the direction of some keen export settings for
            > > this damn thing? Other wise, it's going back to WalMart.
            > >
            > > I'd really, really appreciate it.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Bek

          • missbhavens1969
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
              Egad! Uncompress prior to editing?

              Hmmmmm...

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
              > >

              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
              <missbhavens1969@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > So I bought the HD100 (long story, that) and I've got all this
              footage
              > > > and I've been editing in iMovie '09 (which, incidentally, I hate so
              > > > far)and I've got these finished several "projects" and I
              realized that
              > > > I'd been working with the same export setting forever, and now I'm
              > > > going to have to change them. Or, at least, I assume I do. AT any
              > > > rate, this computer is new and I don't know what settings I had
              on the
              > > > old one anyway.
              > > >
              > > > Can anyone point me in the direction of some keen export
              settings for
              > > > this damn thing? Other wise, it's going back to WalMart.

            • David Howell
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                Dont worry. It's not a big deal. Easy to do :)

                Editing compressed MP4 files is a PITA.

                wrote:

                > Egad! Uncompress prior to editing?
                >
                > Hmmmmm...
                >
                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Dammit...
                > >
                > > I forgot to paste the instructions for uncompressing the Hi-Def video.
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=g29PhkC2_PQ
                > >
                > > David
                > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                > >
                > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Export settings...
                > > >
                > > > Movie to Quicktime Movie.
                > > >
                > > > Click Options.
                > > >
                > > > VIDEO
                > > > Settings:
                > > > Compression Type - H.264
                > > > Frame Rate - Current
                > > > Key Frames - Automatic
                > > > Frame Reordering - Checked
                > > > Compressor - Between Medium and High
                > > > Encoding - Best Quality (Multi Pass)
                > > > Data Rate - Automatic
                > > >
                > > > Click OK.
                > > >
                > > > Size:
                > > > Dimensions - Custom - 640x360
                > > > Deinterlace Source Video - Checked
                > > >
                > > > Click OK.
                > > >
                > > > SOUND
                > > > Settings:
                > > > Format - AAC
                > > > Channels - Stereo
                > > > Rate - 32.000kHz
                > > > Render Settings - Best
                > > > MPEG 4 AAC LC Encoding Settings: 96kbps
                > > >
                > > > Click OK.
                > > >
                > > > Prepare For Internet Streaming: Checked and set for fast start.
                > > >
                > > > Click OK.
                > > >
                > > > Click Save.
                > > >
                > > > Now every freaking Tom, Dick and Harry is going to come in here
                > and pick apart every
                > > > setting I've typed up here and offer their 2 cents worth as to why
                > not to do that and why
                > > > do this. You've seen my videos and what they look like. These are
                > my settings when
                > > > exporting a Quicktime video after editing footage from the same
                > camera as you.
                > > >
                > > > You shouldn't be editing the MP4 files that come off the camera.
                > You need to
                > > uncompress
                > > > them first. Here are the instructions for how to uncompress the
                > Hi-Def video from an
                > > > Xacti camera.
                > > >
                > > > Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
                > > >
                > > > David
                > > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                > > >

                > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                > <missbhavens1969@>

                > footage
                > realized that
                > on the

                > settings for

              • David Howell
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Found this.

                  Apparently, the deinterlace function when exporting in iMovie09 doesnt work.

                  http://www.macworld.com/article/139124/2009/03/export720pimovie09.html

                  They've written a work around there.

                  I hate iMovie09. Hated iMovie08. Just another reason not to use it. If you don't have Final
                  Cut Pro, Final Cut Express is far superior to iMovie.

                • Rupert
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                    or download iMovie 6 from Apple?

                    wrote:

                    > Dont worry. It's not a big deal. Easy to do :)
                    >
                    > Editing compressed MP4 files is a PITA.
                    >
                    > David
                    > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                    >
                    > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                    <missbhavens1969@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Egad! Uncompress prior to editing?
                    > >
                    > > Hmmmmm...
                    > >
                    > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Dammit...
                    > > >
                    > > > I forgot to paste the instructions for uncompressing the Hi-
                    Def video.

                    > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=g29PhkC2_PQ
                    > > >
                    > > > David
                    > > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                    <taoofdavid@>

                    > > and pick apart every
                    > > not to do that and why
                    These are
                    > > my settings when
                    > > camera as you.

                    > > You need to
                    > > > uncompress
                    > > Hi-Def video from an

                    > > <missbhavens1969@>

                    > > footage
                    I hate so
                    > > realized that
                    AT any
                    I had
                    > > on the

                    > > settings for

                    Rupert
                    http://twittervlog.tv/
                    Creative Mobile Filmmaking
                    Shot, edited and sent with my Nokia N93

                  • David Howell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                      As far as I've heard, Apple isnt offering it anymore for download. I could be wrong
                      though?

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                      > or download iMovie 6 from Apple?
                      >
                      > On 2-Mar-09, at 11:14 AM, David Howell wrote:
                      >
                      > Found this.
                      >
                      > Apparently, the deinterlace function when exporting in iMovie09
                      > doesnt work.
                      >
                      > http://www.macworld.com/article/139124/2009/03/export720pimovie09.html
                      >
                      > They've written a work around there.
                      >
                      > I hate iMovie09. Hated iMovie08. Just another reason not to use it.
                      > If you don't have Final
                      > Cut Pro, Final Cut Express is far superior to iMovie.
                      >
                      > David
                      > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                      >
                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dont worry. It's not a big deal. Easy to do :)
                      > >
                      > > Editing compressed MP4 files is a PITA.
                      > >
                      > > David
                      > > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                      > >
                      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
                      > <missbhavens1969@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Egad! Uncompress prior to editing?
                      > > >
                      > > > Hmmmmm...
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@>

                      > Def video.

                      > <taoofdavid@>

                      > > > and pick apart every
                      > to why
                      > > > not to do that and why
                      > These are
                      > > > my settings when
                      > > > camera as you.

                      > camera.
                      > > > You need to
                      > > > Hi-Def video from an

                      > > > <missbhavens1969@>

                      > this
                      > > > footage
                      > I hate so
                      > > > realized that
                      > now I'm
                      > AT any
                      > I had
                      > > > on the

                      > > > settings for

                      > Rupert
                      > http://twittervlog.tv/
                      > Creative Mobile Filmmaking
                      > Shot, edited and sent with my Nokia N93

                    • John Coffey
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                        According to Adam C from Maccast iMovieHD (06) has been pulled from Apple site.

                        As far as I've heard, Apple isnt offering it anymore for download. I could be wrong
                        though?

                        David
                        http://www.davidhow ellstudios. com

                        --- In videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                        > or download iMovie 6 from Apple?
                        >
                        > On 2-Mar-09, at 11:14 AM, David Howell wrote:
                        >
                        > Found this.
                        >
                        > Apparently, the deinterlace function when exporting in iMovie09
                        > doesnt work.
                        >
                        > http://www.macworld .com/article/ 139124/2009/ 03/export720pimo vie09.html
                        >
                        > They've written a work around there.
                        >
                        > I hate iMovie09. Hated iMovie08. Just another reason not to use it.
                        > If you don't have Final
                        > Cut Pro, Final Cut Express is far superior to iMovie.
                        >
                        > David
                        > http://www.davidhow ellstudios. com
                        >
                        > --- In videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@ >
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Dont worry. It's not a big deal. Easy to do :)
                        > >
                        > > Editing compressed MP4 files is a PITA.
                        > >
                        > > David
                        > > http://www.davidhow ellstudios. com
                        > >
                        > > --- In videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com, "missbhavens1969"
                        > <missbhavens1969@ >
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Egad! Uncompress prior to editing?
                        > > >
                        > > > Hmmmmm...
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@ >

                        > Def video.

                        > <taoofdavid@ >

                        > > > and pick apart every
                        > to why
                        > > > not to do that and why
                        > These are
                        > > > my settings when
                        > > > camera as you.

                        > camera.
                        > > > You need to
                        > > > Hi-Def video from an

                        > > > <missbhavens1969@ >

                        > this
                        > > > footage
                        > I hate so
                        > > > realized that
                        > now I'm
                        > AT any
                        > I had
                        > > > on the

                        > > > settings for

                        > Rupert
                        > http://twittervlog. tv/
                        > Creative Mobile Filmmaking
                        > Shot, edited and sent with my Nokia N93

                      • Markus Sandy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                          i searched apple downloads for imovie06 and got back this:

                          http://support.apple.com/downloads/#imovie%2006

                          seems to be the place. several support versions listed

                          On Mar 2, 2009, at 12:09 PM, John Coffey wrote:

                          > According to Adam C from Maccast iMovieHD (06) has been pulled from
                          > Apple site.

                        • missbhavens1969
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
                            I never got iMovie '08 because everyone hated it so much. I guess what I had was '06.

                            Oy. More workarounds 'eh?

                            Hmmm...

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
                              I sense that you are thinking the camera is the issue. It isnt. The camera works beautifully. The software editing it doesnt.

                              Dont use iMovie08 or 09. iMovieHD works fine. Final Cut Express works better.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 5, 2009
                                Nah, it's not so much whether it's the camedra or the software to blame. I just have no desire to add more steps to the process.

                                B.