Transparent Video Player

  • Bill Vick
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
      I've come across the Transparent Video player on a few websites. It's
      where the player is invisible and a person looks like they are
      standing or appearing on your page. Some call it a Video Spokesperson.

      Josh Anderson has a player and demo here:
      http://transparentplayer.com/

      Are their any wordpress plugins to create this effect? I guess you
      could use Izzy's white background tutorial (http://xrl.in/) and end up
      with something very dramatic - at least that's my game plan.

      Any sources, tutorials or how to's on creating this effect and player?
      Can it be used with Blip.tv hosted content? Is it worthwhile buying
      into the player or tutorials?

      Bill
      http://www.XtremeRecruiting.tv
      http://www.EmploymentDigest.net
    • Pat Cook
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hi everyone:

        As your average, ordinary end user, I see SEVERAL problems with this "player".

        1). SECURITY ISSUES

        2). Just like popups & flashy ads, people WILL NOT put up with this player "auto-scrolling" their web browser PERIOD (Mainly for the reason above) & will do just about ANYTHING to GET RID or BLOCK it (Some IE-based clones already come with the ability to block Flash, which is what this "player" depends on)

        3). I personally LOATHE websites that auto-start an audio or video clip AS WELL AS sites that some person (Be they an actual person or animated character) auto-starting themselves to play their messages. As such **I WILL GET OFF THAT SITE IMMEDIATELY**

        4). If employed on the wrong websites, this kind of thing can lead to leaving things such as cookies and other trojans OR WORSE (Especially when it comes to IE). Hence my top concern above.

        Bottom line - If you ask me, this "player" has NO FUTURE WHATSOEVER as there's just no conceivably positive use for it IMO.

        Just my blunt opinion....

        Pat Cook
        patsblogs@...
        Denver, CO
        BLOGS & PODCASTS
        AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
        AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
        THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

        I've come across the Transparent Video player on a few websites. It's
        where the player is invisible and a person looks like they are
        standing or appearing on your page. Some call it a Video Spokesperson.

        Josh Anderson has a player and demo here:
        http://transparentplayer.com/

        Are their any wordpress plugins to create this effect? I guess you
        could use Izzy's white background tutorial (http://xrl.in/) and end up
        with something very dramatic - at least that's my game plan.

        Any sources, tutorials or how to's on creating this effect and player?
        Can it be used with Blip.tv hosted content? Is it worthwhile buying
        into the player or tutorials?

        Bill
        http://www.XtremeRecruiting.tv
        http://www.EmploymentDigest.net

        Messages | Links | Polls

        MARKETPLACE

        From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

        Recent Activity

        4
        New MembersVisit Your Group

        Need traffic?
        Drive customers

        With search ads

        on Yahoo!

        Health Groups
        for people over 40

        Join people who are

        staying in shape.

        10 Day Club
        on Yahoo! Groups

        Share the benefits

        of a high fiber diet.

        .
      • smoothsayl
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
          Its Rob here.

          While I truly understand the aggravation things like the transparent
          video player can create in some folks, I take slight exception to the
          claim there is no use for them whatsoever.

          The primary use for them is making money or opt-ins. Specifically,
          more money or opt-ins than you can make on a site without one.

          Just about any marketing technique will aggravate someone.

          The key question for any marketer is:

          Is the aggravation / click-aways offset by the increased sales /
          opt-ins techniques like the transparent player provide?

          If the answer is yes, most marketers will use them. Or at least
          consider them. Its a simple decision based on numbers.

          No matter how much you hate American Idol, it will stay on the air
          until the numbers dictate that it shouldn't.

          I don't know what the exact research on these babies is. I do know the
          best online marketers test rigorously, and then use only what works.
          And they are more than willing to alienate a few if the overall effect
          on their business is positive.

          The security dangers may outweight this positive impact. But if it
          doesn't you will continue to see them on websites.

          Rob
          http://www.BlockbusterMultimedia.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone:
          >
          > As your average, ordinary end user, I see SEVERAL problems with this
          "player".

          > 1). SECURITY ISSUES
          >
          > 2). Just like popups & flashy ads, people WILL NOT put up with this
          player "auto-scrolling" their web browser PERIOD (Mainly for the
          reason above) & will do just about ANYTHING to GET RID or BLOCK it
          (Some IE-based clones already come with the ability to block Flash,
          which is what this "player" depends on)

          > 3). I personally LOATHE websites that auto-start an audio or video
          clip AS WELL AS sites that some person (Be they an actual person or
          animated character) auto-starting themselves to play their messages.
          As such **I WILL GET OFF THAT SITE IMMEDIATELY**

          > 4). If employed on the wrong websites, this kind of thing can lead
          to leaving things such as cookies and other trojans OR WORSE
          (Especially when it comes to IE). Hence my top concern above.

          > Bottom line - If you ask me, this "player" has NO FUTURE WHATSOEVER
          as there's just no conceivably positive use for it IMO.

          > Just my blunt opinion....
          >
          > Pat Cook
          > patsblogs@...
          > Denver, CO
          > BLOGS & PODCASTS
          > AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
          > AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS -
          http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
          > THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE -
          http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
            Hi everyone:

            Developers & marketers have been down this road before in the Web 1.0 world with popup windows, banner ads & even embedded statically-located audio & video players. ALL of these tactics have been defeated one way or another. Flash ITSELF can be blocked by some IE clones & Firefox.

            If Flash ITSELF can be blocked, then HOW IN THE WORLD do you think this player will work?

            In short, it's merely a repeat of history (Which IS NOT on the side of marketers).

            THAT is why I say there is NO future whatsoever for this player.

            Just pointin' out the facts Jack....

            Cheers

          • Rupert
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
              Nonsense. Hardly anybody blocks Flash, and nobody's going to build a
              browser or toolbar that blocks Flash video the same way they did with
              popups.

              Yes, it's irritating when you open a web page and it starts
              autoplaying music or talking to you - but on about half of the sites
              that use these things, I see a pause button on the page that allows
              you to stop it. (I look at about 200 new sites every day in my job).

              The others, I just curse and close the tab or window immediately -
              and they're almost always sites that you'd actually have to choose to
              go to by typing in the URL yourself. And I have to say, the talking
              heads are usually trying to give you useful information about the
              company - in a way that might be attractive or interesting to some
              visitors who don't want to just read a lot of text. So contrary to
              what Pat thinks, I think there's a lot of future for this kind of
              player.

              Irritating/hard-selling is ugly marketing - and most of us are smart
              enough not to go anywhere near those companies which think irritating
              and hard-selling gimmicks are useful in shifting their products.
              Whatever you block, they're always going to find new ways of
              irritating you into paying attention or lying to make their offer
              seem too good to be true. The best blocker for this stuff is not one
              built into your browser, it's clicking Close.

              Rupert
              http://twittervlog.tv/
              Creative Mobile Filmmaking
              Shot, edited and sent with my Nokia N93

            • Bill Vick
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                As the original poster of this thread a few comments.

                First - the comments are appreciated but don't really address my question of creating or buying a transparent player.

                1) it was never my goal to have an auto-playing or auto start video on any of my sites. I think they are not only rude but ineffective

                2) I'm not using this for Internet marketing - I simply want a way to separate my videos from the thundering herd of sameo-sameo. I have over 130 videos online that are generating thousands of views daily and my intent is to keep them free but not go broke in the process. I do have some ads on my sites but hopefully they do not get in the way of delivering information, which is my intent.

                3) I've found a real need in my niche for this type of product and have figured out how to do it on my own with buying into expensive technology.

                I appreciate the support and feedback from all of you.

                Bill

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                > Nonsense. Hardly anybody blocks Flash, and nobody's going to build >
                >
                > On 3-Mar-09, at 8:27 PM, Pat Cook wrote:
                >
                > Hi everyone:
                >
                > Developers & marketers have been down this road before in the Web 1.0
                > world with popup windows, banner ads & even embedded statically-
                > located audio & video players. ALL of these tactics have been
                > defeated one way or another. Flash ITSELF can be blocked by some
                > Subject: [videoblogging] Re: Transparent Video Player
                >
                > Its Rob here.
                >
                > While I truly understand the aggravation things like the transparent
                > video player can create in some folks, I take slight exception to the
                consider them. Its a simple decision based on numbers.

                > No matter how much you hate American Idol, it will stay on the air
                > until the numbers dictate that it shouldn't.
                >
                > I don't know what the exact research on these babies is. I do know the
                > best online marketers test rigorously, and then use only what works.
                > And they are more than willing to alienate a few if the overall effect
                > on their business is positive.
                >
                > The security dangers may outweight this positive impact. But if it
                > doesn't you will continue to see them on websites.
                >
                > Rob
                > http://www.BlockbusterMultimedia.com
                >
                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Pat Cook <patsblogs@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi everyone:
                > >
                > > As your average, ordinary end user, I see SEVERAL problems with this
              • Brook Hinton
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                  I believe the only thing that will "separate (one's) videos from the
                  thundering herd of sameo-sameo"
                  is the videos themselves. True, reaching more people generally will help
                  find more of your particular audience specifically, but while poor
                  presentation might kill the context for a good piece, no presentation can
                  make a piece better than it is.
                  No one is going to go back to a video-based site because it has a really
                  cool player. They will go back because the video they saw changed their
                  life.

                • Michael Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                    pat: consistently way off.

                    On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone:
                    >
                    > Developers & marketers have been down this road before in the Web 1.0 world
                    > with popup windows, banner ads & even embedded statically-located audio &
                    > video players. ALL of these tactics have been defeated one way or another.
                    > Flash ITSELF can be blocked by some IE clones & Firefox.
                    >
                    > If Flash ITSELF can be blocked, then HOW IN THE WORLD do you think this
                    > player will work?
                    >
                    > In short, it's merely a repeat of history (Which IS NOT on the side of
                    > marketers).
                    >
                    > THAT is why I say there is NO future whatsoever for this player.
                    >
                    > Just pointin' out the facts Jack....
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Pat Cook
                    > patsblogs@... <patsblogs%40live.com>
                    > Denver, CO
                    > BLOGS & PODCASTS
                    > AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
                    > AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS -
                    > http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
                    > THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE -
                    > http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

                  • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                      > ...And I have to say, the talking
                      > heads are usually trying to give you useful information about the
                      > company - in a way that might be attractive or interesting to some
                      > visitors who don't want to just read a lot of text. So contrary to
                      > what Pat thinks, I think there's a lot of future for this kind of
                      > player.

                      Rupert's comment triggered some ideas. I have a few websites about rural life and culture. Many of my visitors have had very very little experience with the Internet and are unfamiliar with navigating within a browser. This continues to surprise me, but I don't want to give up on them. So, I was thinking... this transparent player might allow me to show people how to get around the site without having to go to an off-site tutorial. It seems to be able to float modules, too.

                      At the moment, as there is no trial or interactive demo, I find it an expensive way to experiment. Unfortunately, I did not see any screen shots of an interface, etc.

                      But I like the basic idea of pushing some boundaries of design of the web page. It can make it more interctive and springy, too. I can see how it would enhance story-telling...

                      Oh well. I'll add it to the Maybe Later Purchase list. But I think such efforts should be encouraged.

                      Stan Hirson
                      http://PinePlainsViews.com
                      http://LifeWithHorses.com
                    • Pat Cook
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                        Hi everyone:

                        The EASIEST way to make yourself "stick out from the herd" as it were would be to make your content compatible with as many devices as possible. This is why I'm doing 3GP versions of my latest videos (And perhaps some of the older ones as well) for my weight loss blog.

                        With Apple's reluctance to accept 3GP & Flash as demanded formats by end users, we can't rely on the iPod alone to reach the masses because while it's true that millions of people DO own iPods, it's also true that MILLIONS MORE **DO NOT** own an iPod either (I know because I'm an example though I'd love to change change that someday :D ). Therefore, in order to reach people who don't iPods, you have to take aim at their cell phones (You can EXPORT TO a cell phone just as easily as you can import from a cell phone, ya know. It's just a little slower process).

                        Either way you look at it (As I said before), there's more than one way to make yourself "stick out from the herd" as it were & adding a so-called "player like this just isn't the way IMO.

                      • Steve Watkins
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
                          Well the example you linked to had several different features, based on different technology.

                          If you just want to play a normal video over the top of your page, that could probably be achieved with a bit of wordpress template modification & an understanding of html layers.

                          The 'person standing over the top of the website' stuff relies on a feature that flash has had for a very long time - the ability to play videos with transparent backgrounds. To do this you need to get several steps right. First you have to make your source video so that it doesnt have a background, typically by using green screen or other technique to remove the background, then save the video in a format that supports alpha. Then you have to encode that into .flv format with the right options ticked to preserve the alpha channel. Then you need to play that video back on the web using a suitable flash video player.

                          I do not know if there are 3rd party programs which support alpha-channel flv video encoding, I tried some months ago and ended up having to use flash itself, not a cheap option. But I may be missing something.

                          Cheers

                          Steve Elbows