Real Media captioned files

  • RICHARD
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25 2:46 PM
      I have a client that has some archival Real Media files with captions that
      appear below the video in Real Player.

      They now want to re-encode the videos to post on Youtube, with open
      subtitles/captions.

      If I can get the Real Media caption file (SMIL .rt text file, from what I¹ve
      read), can I use that file to superimpose subtitles/captions actually on the
      video?

      Is there any easy way to do this, or an application that can do this
      automatically?

      If I have to, I could cut and paste, cut and paste, each title, and
      superimpose the titles in FCP, but I¹d rather not.

      Thanks for any advice.

      -Richard

    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25 3:09 PM
        see if videocue helps;

        http://www.telestream.net/video-cue/overview.htm

        On 26/02/2009, at 9:46 AM, RICHARD wrote:

        > I have a client that has some archival Real Media files with
        > captions that
        > appear below the video in Real Player.
        >
        > They now want to re-encode the videos to post on Youtube, with open
        > subtitles/captions.
        >
        > If I can get the Real Media caption file (SMIL .rt text file, from
        > what I’ve
        > read), can I use that file to superimpose subtitles/captions
        > actually on the
        > video?
        >
        > Is there any easy way to do this, or an application that can do this
        > automatically?

        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        adrian.miles@...
        bachelor communication honours coordinator
        vogmae.net.au
      • Michael Verdi
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25 3:09 PM
          I think MAGpie might be able to do that <http://ncam.wgbh.org/webaccess/magpie/>

          - Verdi

          On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:46 PM, RICHARD <rt@...> wrote:
          > I have a client that has some archival Real Media files with captions that
          > appear below the video in Real Player.
          >
          > They now want to re-encode the videos to post on Youtube, with open
          > subtitles/captions.
          >
          > If I can get the Real Media caption file (SMIL .rt text file, from what I¹ve
          > read), can I use that file to superimpose subtitles/captions actually on the
          > video?
          >
          > Is there any easy way to do this, or an application that can do this
          > automatically?
          >
          > If I have to, I could cut and paste, cut and paste, each title, and
          > superimpose the titles in FCP, but I¹d rather not.
          >
          > Thanks for any advice.
          >
          > -Richard

          http://michaelverdi.com
        • Dana Hirschberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25 8:21 PM
            I think Quicktime can do this. Unfortunately you would need to convert to file.

            Dana

            New Short Film (2008: An Egg Odyssey)
            View at: www.runadun.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD <rt@...> wrote:

            > I have a client that has some archival Real Media files with captions that
            > appear below the video in Real Player.
            >
            > They now want to re-encode the videos to post on Youtube, with open
            > subtitles/captions.
            >
            > If I can get the Real Media caption file (SMIL .rt text file, from what I¹ve
            > read), can I use that file to superimpose subtitles/captions actually on the
            > video?
            >
            > Is there any easy way to do this, or an application that can do this
            > automatically?
            >
            > If I have to, I could cut and paste, cut and paste, each title, and
            > superimpose the titles in FCP, but I¹d rather not.
            >
            > Thanks for any advice.
            >
            > -Richard

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
              Hi everyone:

              If he can somehow transcode it into either AVI or MPEG (SUPER would be ideal for something like this), VirtualDub has plugins that will do text (One comes built-in. The other one you have to download & put into the VD folder).

              Once the text has been inserted, the video can be exported as an AVI.

              Unfortunately, it's going to mean YET MORE pixelation, but that's EXACTLY why MANY people avoid RealMedia LIKE A CANCER now (And did so back when it was basically THE ONLY GAME IN CYBERSPACE) & would LOVE NOTHING MORE than the ability to do the same with MS Windows Media & the TRIPE that comes with it. *Devilish Grin*

              I'm so glad I didn't get caught up into making videos during the Glory Days of Internet Radio in the late 1990s thru mid-2001 I don't even wanna imagine what they'd look like NOW. :D *LOL!*

              Just my $.02 worth.....

              Cheers :D

              Pat Cook
              patsblogs@...