Re: [videoblogging] Re: Josh Leo's site

  • David King
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
      Yep - bigtime bummer! And agreed with wordpress. About half their
      updates are because of security fixes.

      That said, wordpress simply rocks as a self hosted blog platform - I
      love it.

      Hope he doesn't have too much trouble sorting through the mess

      Sent from my iPhone

    • David Howell
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
        I'm sorry but the Wordpress site owners that are having their sites
        hacked are the same people that buy a car and expect to never have to
        change the oil in it.

        Running a self-hosted site means being able to manage one as well. If
        you don't want to manage it, then you use sites like Blogger. Blogger
        is great for that. No frills. No muss. No fuss. No extras.

        If you dont want to manage it yourself, you hire people like me that
        will not only design and build it but manage it as well. If you want
        to do it all yourself, please read the manual, secure it and keep it
        up do date with patches. Your unsecured site causes problems for everyone.

        If you dont change the oil in your car, dont cry when it's eventually
        sitting dead on the side of the road.

        David Howell
        http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Mike Meiser
        <groups-yahoo-com@...> wrote:

        > Sad to hear. :(
        > I'm assuming he was running wordpress?
        >
        > I've seen way to many wordpress blogs hacked. The problem is just
        maintence,
        > you have to keep wordpress constantly up to date to patch security
        holes. If
        > you don't it will inevitably get hacked. Same goes for all server
        side open
        > source.
        >
        > Many times I've wanted to redo my blogger.com blog in wordpress, indeed
        > wordpress is simply better, but the truth is blogger.com is
        virtually hack
        > proof since there's absolutely no server side code running. It's all
        handled
        > by blogger.com and written to the server via sftp. I've really come to
        > appreciate this rock solid security and ZERO maintenance, and to be
        honest
        > it's the primary reason I simply recommend blogger over wordpress to
        anyone
        > who wants to self host on their own domain. The exception being if
        they're a
        > developer and already running code on their server, in which case
        they're
        > probably aware enough of the maintenance issues to run wordpress.
        >
        > Lately I've been doing a lot of work in the bike industry and it
        seems the
        > entire industry from shop owners, to racers to bike makers runs almost
        > exclusively on a blogspot hosted ecosystem. It simply works.
        >
        > P.S. a good auto-backup system or version control system for your
        blog is a
        > MUST if you run wordpress. A lot of hosting providers include this
        stock.

        > -Mike
        > mmeiser.com/blog
        > flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2
        >

        > On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Steve Watkins <steve@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Looking back a page or 2 on his twitter history, I think the site got
        > > hacked.
        > >
        > > http://twitter.com/joshleo
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > >
        > > Steve
        > >
        > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David King <davidleeking@>
        wrote:

        > > > Anyone know what happened to josh Leo's site (joshleo.com)? It looks
        > > > like it is gone ... & I really like his videos!
        > > >
        > > > Just curious
        > > >
        > > > Sent from my iPhone

      • Mike Meiser
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
          To use your car analogy most people simply take it to the dealer for
          maintence.
          There is no dealer for self hosting. Dreamhost nor any other provide that
          sort of support. That type of structure does not exist.

          Most people are not technically literate enough to manage the constant
          stream of upgrades. I myself while technically capable, cut a hard edge on
          maintence issues. If I go on vacation for a month, I simply don't want to
          worry about it. And a month of ignoring it is all it takes... now multiply
          that by the rest of your life. Most people underestimate how much the long
          term maintence costs are while underestimating their own capactity to handle
          that constant maintence.

          These people should simply NOT be self hosting... unless they use
          blogger.com which requires no maintence.

          It's that simple.

          -Mike

        • Tim Street
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
            MIke?

            Why did you have to say that?

            Now I want to go on vacation for a month. ;-)

            Tim Street
            1timstreet@...
            http://1timstreet.com/blog
            http://twitter.com/1timstreet

          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
              On Feb 8, 2009, at 3:57 PM, Mike Meiser wrote:

              > To use your car analogy most people simply take it to the dealer for
              > maintence.

              Hey Meiserman!

              We had a discussion about "Planning your next social media site" at
              the Super Happy Vlog House yesterday. The people in the room ranged
              from professional web developers to website newbies. A few points may
              be of interest here in the VB group:

              1. One of the questions that came up was 'how many copies of your
              site do you maintain?" The pros generally said "at least two",
              staging and the live site. Most also have dev sandboxes (throwaway
              copies of site,files and database). More than a backup, this is a
              place to test all upgrades and changes before applying to (or swapping
              with) live site. More work and complexity, but less risk (so maybe
              not more work after all ;) ) Like David said, you gotta do it (or
              get a pro), otherwise you are working without a net.

              2. Two of the people who attended SHVH have recently started a biz
              service providing complete video site solutions by offering WP-based
              "packages". I think we will see a lot more of this. Wordpress and
              Drupal based "products" and services.

              New customer fills out a form for what they want. Pick from $999,
              $1299 or $1999 packages and options. Then work directly with the a
              desginer on look within very well defined limits imposed by a specific
              WP theme framework. Sites turned around quickly (e.g., less than a
              day). Packages for monthly hosting and services in the $19-$49/month
              range. These guys will even supply aggregated content feeds for your
              site to add to your content. Backups, SEO (including posts to major
              sites like Facebook), newsletter, press release, the works. Not for
              everyone here, but I suspect they will be very successful, especially
              with small businesses with little or no tech resources and budgets.

              Also a question for everyone:

              Someone mentioned Episodic at the meetup. Has anyone used it since
              they were just a flash to ipod transcoding startup service? There
              were a few posts here last summer about the service (Noam are you
              still here?). Looks like it's grown up quite a bit. I'm waiting for
              a beta account. Looks like a competitor to Brightcove, Ooyala,
              thePlatform, etc., but with more features and nice looking UI.
              Perhaps this is another way to go? http://episodic.com

              Markus

            • Mike Meiser
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
                Sorry Markus,
                Everyone fears coming home from vacation to find their website burned down.

                Maybe you can hire a website security company, buy some website insurance or
                find a website sitter.

                Seriously though, analogies are not only fun, but how's the following for a
                business idea.

                A company that you give FTP or sFTP access to your website.

                It not only backs up everything, and tracks every single change through a
                web based versioning control system, but can automatic roll back and even
                flags malicious changes.

                Make it general consumer friendly.

                Give it a nice "web 2.0" interface.

                Sell it to self hosters regardless of whom they're hosting with as
                "insurance, security, and backup".

                This not only can be a transparent service instead of bogging down would be
                DIY types with the need to buy your designs or run their workflow through
                you or use you as a host.

                But it will let the end user go crazy customizing their code, playing with
                open source, using whatever host provider they want. Giving them true
                *fredom to tinker*... now that they now have a saftey net.

                websaftey.net, it's actually available.

                Does something similar already exist?

                Now build on it... add in security analysis...

                ie. making sure permissions are correct on all your files...

                i.e. giving you status on wether your software installed on your server is
                up to date

                Maybe... if the technical requirements aren't to bad it could even install
                certain open source packages automatically regardless of hosting provider.

                What about the ability to switch hosts?

                Or mirror a website on a different domain with the click of a button?

                The ability to edit or upgrade or test a service and then roll it to the
                users main site.

                Perhaps this webservice could orient the market in a different way. Perhaps
                it could focus on a particular niche say video, customizing it's services
                for videobloggers...i.e installing wordpress themes vPip, etc.

                At it's core the backup and versioning is more then enough to sell to every
                web2.0 person out there for $5 - $10 a month and make mondo money, but the
                possibilities on where it can go from there are endless.

                The key is you're doing the same thing to hosting providers as so caled
                "web2.0" services like gmail have done to Outlook, Eudora and other email
                desktop clients.

                You're moving key services from the hosting providers into the "cloud" as
                services and thus reducing the dependancy on hosting companies proprietary
                features. In a sense your comoditizing the hosting provider the way the web
                is commoditizing the Microsoft OS, Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excell,
                etc.

                You could go on to make this a gateway and a security net for not so tech
                savy people so they can try out open source packages regardless of different
                hosting providers.

                Perhaps one day... if you base this webservice on open source and work on
                building standards everyone from drupal to wordpress will work toward you to
                create a sort of web based "package manager" for the internet.

                In this way your webservice might install software cleanly onto any host
                that uses a standardized linux install base. Thus you created an ecosystem.
                An new sort of API by which hosting providers can interact with
                webservices.

                This "package manager for the internet", would be like the package managers
                used on desktop linux, but instead of installing software on your desktop
                they'd install it on your website... think CMS, wikis, blogs and more.
                Perhaps even custom videoblogging solutions such as themes, vPIP, etc.

                The internet is after all the new desktop. The desktop computer for many is
                just a dummy terminal you use to access the internet. Hence the rise of the
                netbook.

                The internet is where your email is, where your photoalbum/editor are, where
                your write and where you publish.

                So why not think of the domain, your website, as the new desktop.

                Using this metaphor, what other services could be stripped off of the
                hosting provider?

                You could possibly even avoid the problems inherent with running server side
                code on joeblowsblog.com buy creating an "ultra secure" option where all the
                code is run on this new webservice (similar to what blogger.com does) and
                only static html and files live on joeblow's domain.

                You could run this whole service through Amazon S3's hosting and computing
                cloud so it scales like the devil, and only charge the user for that
                processing and hosting that they require.

                If such "web 2.0" type service could handle the domain management and
                subdomain it could assign a subdomain to itself, i.e.
                code.joeblowsblog.comto run, manage, and update joe blow's code
                securely while leaving only
                static code (HTML, images, movie files) on joeblowsblog.com.

                In this way such a service could avoid the pitfalls of setting up different
                open source packages on different hosting providers whom may be using
                anything from Microsoft, to Debian to unix.

                Though perhaps if done in open source you could forge relationships with
                hosting providers that use standardized open source and thus create an
                interaction model... an API, by which you can create "a standardized package
                manager for the open source internet"

                This idea in the end might be two ideas

                1) security and a saftey net for self hosters websites

                2) and in the bigger picture... a "web based package manager" or "package
                manager as web service" in the grand web 2.0 style, to install and
                automatically update open source packages that run on webservers.

                Not sure I got the point across, maybe / maybe not, but heh I was
                brainstorming. :P

                -Mike

              • David King
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
                  My web hoster actually does most of that for me (the backups, rollbacks,
                  etc). I do my own updates to wordpress, customizations, etc - but they do
                  everything else. But then, it's a small, service-oriented web hoster shop
                  primarly for library-related blogs and websites (how's that for a niche
                  market?). If I have a server type question or prob, I just email or IM and
                  it gets fixed, pronto.

                  I'm very spoiled.

                  David Lee King
                  davidleeking.com - blog
                  davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                  twitter | skype: davidleeking

                • Mike Meiser
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 8, 2009
                    My host is... my friends own a server.
                    I've removed plone, media wiki and eveyrthing else from my site precisely do
                    what we're talking about here. Maintence and security hassles far outweigh
                    their utility.

                    No server side code runs on my domain.

                    My backup is

                    a) blogger.com contains all the CSS and blog posts

                    b) I back it up every once and a while via sFTP to be sure to get images and
                    other media files I've uploaded

                    And yes, David, you're way spoiled for hosting, and so am I.

                    I'd suspect the average person uses Dreamhost or like and has little / no
                    support.

                    I guess I could bug my friend about server issues, but I did away with the
                    server side code because I value spending our time discussing linux, open
                    source, gaming and generally geeking out.

                    I guess you might say like to play with it, love it for work, but I'm very
                    careful with what I depend on for my own personal use because I have a
                    strict zero maintence philosphy. Probably why my primary work computer is
                    mac though 90% of my software is open source and I spend all day reading up
                    on and playing with working with/on Ubuntu / KDE / Gnome. ("all day" being a
                    VERY relative thing :)

                    Peace,

                    -Mike

                  • Jacek Artymiak
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
                      On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Mike Meiser
                      <groups-yahoo-com@...> wrote:
                      > Sad to hear. :(
                      > I'm assuming he was running wordpress?
                      >
                      > I've seen way to many wordpress blogs hacked. The problem is just maintence,
                      > you have to keep wordpress constantly up to date to patch security holes. If
                      > you don't it will inevitably get hacked. Same goes for all server side open
                      > source.

                      You are being naive, Mike. It has nothing to do with the software
                      being open or closed source.

                      Maintenance is not a problem, it is what you have to do.

                      Maintenance and backups. Make sure you backup your site every time you
                      post a new episode of your show. Here's a good piece of information on
                      how to make backups of your MySQL database via phpMyAdmin.

                      http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/php-mysql/mysql_export.htm

                      > Many times I've wanted to redo my blogger.com blog in wordpress, indeed
                      > wordpress is simply better, but the truth is blogger.com is virtually hack
                      > proof since there's absolutely no server side code running. It's all handled

                      Oh, boy. Where do we begin?

                      blogger.com does run server-side code. A weak password is
                      platform-independent. Sftp does not prevent hackers from getting at
                      your blog, because there are other ways.

                      Passwords: sftp protects them in transit, but there are other ways of
                      getting in, like dictionary attacks. A weak password will let the bad
                      guys in no matter what tools you use. A colleague of mine had her
                      Google account hacked a couple of weeks ago. The reason was a weak
                      password. Google account are used to authenticate the users of
                      Blogger. Here's another story of a password being hijacked using
                      another method:

                      http://www.davidairey.com/google-gmail-security-hijack/

                      Buffer overflows: will help the hackers get at a site without breaking
                      in via FTP. Sometimes posting a carefully crafted piece of code in a
                      comment form will be all that's required to pull the pants off your
                      site's butt.

                      XSS: can be used to hijack passwords/user information.

                      SQL injection: a skilled hacker can delete your database without
                      breaking into your account, if the code does not do extensive checks.
                      All he/she has to do is send SQL commands to delete your database.
                      They don't need to know the username/password, because the blogging
                      software that communicates with the database behind your blog already
                      knows both... the database trusts the software and deletes your data.
                      It's beautifully simple if the blogging software doesn't clean the
                      data it passes to the database.

                      And let's not forget those nice Web 2.0/Java things and plug-ins. The
                      more of that crap you put on your site, the higher the likelihood of
                      someone finding a way to break into it.

                      > by blogger.com and written to the server via sftp. I've really come to
                      > appreciate this rock solid security and ZERO maintenance, and to be honest
                      > it's the primary reason I simply recommend blogger over wordpress to anyone
                      > who wants to self host on their own domain. The exception being if they're a
                      > developer and already running code on their server, in which case they're
                      > probably aware enough of the maintenance issues to run wordpress.
                      >
                      > Lately I've been doing a lot of work in the bike industry and it seems the
                      > entire industry from shop owners, to racers to bike makers runs almost
                      > exclusively on a blogspot hosted ecosystem. It simply works.

                      I'm sorry Mike, but I wouldn't go to the bike industry for security advice.

                      Using SFTP is good higene, but it is not a replacement for a vaccine.

                      > P.S. a good auto-backup system or version control system for your blog is a
                      > MUST if you run wordpress. A lot of hosting providers include this stock.

                      Off-site backup is a better solution. If it means burning a DVD with a
                      backup of your database and all files and taking it to a safe place,
                      so be it.

                      --
                      Jacek Artymiak
                      http://devGuide.net

                      [ sent from my MacBook Wheel ]
                    • Heath
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
                        Well....it could also be that sometimes with an update to
                        Wordpress...not everything works right, plugin's that worked before
                        suddenly do not, or some random combination of things cause an
                        issue...so it's not just as simple as keeping the site up to date
                        with the current software....

                        So it's not always so simple....

                        Heath

                        http://heathparks.com

                        com@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > anyone
                        > > > who wants to self host on their own domain. The exception being
                        if
                        > > they're a
                        > > > developer and already running code on their server, in which
                        case
                        > > they're
                        > > > probably aware enough of the maintenance issues to run
                        wordpress.

                        > > > Lately I've been doing a lot of work in the bike industry and it
                        > > seems the
                        > > > entire industry from shop owners, to racers to bike makers runs
                        almost
                        > > > exclusively on a blogspot hosted ecosystem. It simply works.
                        > > >
                        > > > P.S. a good auto-backup system or version control system for
                        your
                        > > blog is a
                        > > > MUST if you run wordpress. A lot of hosting providers include

                      • Heath
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
                          when I created my wordpress site, I created a mirror site on
                          wordpress.com and I cross post everything there as well...so if
                          something does happen, I have a backup to work with in addtion to the
                          other backups I do.....I'm anal.....

                          Heath

                          http://heathparks.com

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          create an
                          > > interaction model... an API, by which you can create "a
                          standardized
                          > > package
                          > > manager for the open source internet"
                          > >
                          > > This idea in the end might be two ideas
                          > >
                          > > 1) security and a saftey net for self hosters websites
                          > >
                          > > 2) and in the bigger picture... a "web based package manager"
                          or "package
                          > > manager as web service" in the grand web 2.0 style, to install and
                          > > automatically update open source packages that run on webservers.
                          > >
                          > > Not sure I got the point across, maybe / maybe not, but heh I was
                          > > brainstorming. :P
                          > >
                          > > -Mike
                          > >
                          > > On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Tim Street <1timstreet@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > MIke?
                          > > >
                          > > > Why did you have to say that?
                          > > >
                          > > > Now I want to go on vacation for a month. ;-)

                        • Brook Hinton
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 10, 2009
                            To be fair, Wordpress, along with other blog and CMS solutions, is hyped all
                            over the place as being easy and requiring no knowledge of much of anything.
                            Unless you're happy with one of the simpler free templates and never
                            upgrade, it isn't true, but there are reasons some of us less geek-smart
                            folks jumped to it, even if they turned out to be bad reasons.
                            When I contemplated moving from typepad to wordpress I was told by so many
                            people:
                            "If you can use typepad you can use wordpress, and migrating is easy"
                            "There are so many good templates you won't need to code anything, even for
                            that video stuff you want to do."
                            "Because it has pages you can replace your whole web site without needing to
                            code anything."
                            "It's perfect for you, you won't have to pay someone to set up what you want
                            to do."

                            WIth the exception of the migrating of data, which was easy, none of it was
                            true.

                            Etc etc etc etc etc etc. WIth the exception of the migrating of data, which
                            was indeed easy, none of it was true. All from people who used it, knew how
                            to code but who also knew that I could barely cut and paste my way through
                            editing some simple html.

                            So many of us are NOT "the same people that buy a car and expect to never
                            have to
                            change the oil in it." We just bought the hype that no oil was necessary to
                            begin with.

                            A little googling reveals the same stuff now being hyped about CMS like
                            Drupal and Joomla.

                            So since I'm not in a position to pay anyone to do these things for me, I'm
                            learning CSS and whatever else I have to learn. I don't want to, but I sure
                            wish I'd known I had no choice back when I first jumped in.

                            Brook

                          • Tim Street
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 10, 2009
                              I feel your pain.

                              There are many things I love about WordPress but I don't have the time
                              to learn CSS right now and I don't want to spend the money on
                              customizing.

                              For my blog I bought some templates. They work OK.

                              For French Maid TV's web site I learned iWeb. I wish I could combine
                              the ease of design that iWeb has with the publishing and RSS power of
                              WordPress.

                              It would be awesome if I could design sites in iWeb and make them work
                              in WordPress but then I want an electric car for under $20K and Santa
                              Clause and the Easter Bunny as well.

                              At least I'm allowed to dream. ;)

                              On Feb 10, 2009, at 6:26 AM, Brook Hinton wrote:

                              > To be fair, Wordpress, along with other blog and CMS solutions, is
                              > hyped all
                              > over the place as being easy and requiring no knowledge of much of
                              > anything.
                              > Unless you're happy with one of the simpler free templates and never
                              > upgrade, it isn't true, but there are reasons some of us less geek-
                              > smart
                              > folks jumped to it, even if they turned out to be bad reasons.
                              > When I contemplated moving from typepad to wordpress I was told by
                              > so many
                              > people:
                              > "If you can use typepad you can use wordpress, and migrating is easy"
                              > "There are so many good templates you won't need to code anything,
                              > even for
                              > that video stuff you want to do."
                              > "Because it has pages you can replace your whole web site without
                              > needing to
                              > code anything."
                              > "It's perfect for you, you won't have to pay someone to set up what
                              > you want
                              > to do."
                              >
                              > WIth the exception of the migrating of data, which was easy, none of
                              > it was
                              > true.
                              >
                              > Etc etc etc etc etc etc. WIth the exception of the migrating of
                              > data, which
                              > was indeed easy, none of it was true. All from people who used it,
                              > knew how
                              > to code but who also knew that I could barely cut and paste my way
                              > through
                              > editing some simple html.
                              >
                              > So many of us are NOT "the same people that buy a car and expect to
                              > never
                              > have to
                              > change the oil in it." We just bought the hype that no oil was
                              > necessary to
                              > begin with.
                              >
                              > A little googling reveals the same stuff now being hyped about CMS
                              > like
                              > Drupal and Joomla.
                              >
                              > So since I'm not in a position to pay anyone to do these things for
                              > me, I'm
                              > learning CSS and whatever else I have to learn. I don't want to, but
                              > I sure
                              > wish I'd known I had no choice back when I first jumped in.
                              >
                              > Brook

                            • Christopher Polack
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 10, 2009
                                > It would be awesome if I could design sites in iWeb and make them work
                                > in WordPress but then I want an electric car for under $20K and Santa
                                > Clause and the Easter Bunny as well.

                                Tim,

                                The new iWeb '09 allows you to post the RSS feed from another site on your page. You have
                                limited formatting options for the look of the feed itself, but you can make the rest of the
                                page pretty fly.

                                http://www.christopherpolack.com/experimental/Planting_an_RSS_feed.html

                                I took the liberty of dropping your blog onto the page. I look forward to hearing from your
                                lawyers soon.

                                Topher

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 10, 2009
                                  Thanks!

                                  Looks like I might be upgrading to the new iWeb for a test drive.

                                  I'll ask my legal team to look the other way.

                                  Doesn't seem to grab the embed though????

                                  On Feb 10, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Christopher Polack wrote:

                                  > > It would be awesome if I could design sites in iWeb and make them
                                  > work
                                  > > in WordPress but then I want an electric car for under $20K and
                                  > Santa
                                  > > Clause and the Easter Bunny as well.
                                  >
                                  > Tim,
                                  >
                                  > The new iWeb '09 allows you to post the RSS feed from another site
                                  > on your page. You have
                                  > limited formatting options for the look of the feed itself, but you
                                  > can make the rest of the
                                  > page pretty fly.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.christopherpolack.com/experimental/
                                  > Planting_an_RSS_feed.html
                                  >
                                  > I took the liberty of dropping your blog onto the page. I look
                                  > forward to hearing from your
                                  > lawyers soon.
                                  >
                                  > Topher
                                  >
                                  > http://www.ChristopherPolack.com

                                • Steve Watkins
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 10, 2009
                                    Indeed. Wordpress is a popular target for attack because it is widely
                                    installed, often by people who lack the resources to keep on top of
                                    maintenance. I think wordpress and others have tried to improve ease
                                    of updating, but if you customise your site there are often annoying
                                    complications.

                                    I often wish I had more faith in web 2.0 hosted services that manage
                                    these things for me, but the different insecurities and inflexibility
                                    that these bring make me hesitant to use them.

                                    Cheers

                                    Steve Elbows

                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jacek Artymiak

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 11, 2009
                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Tim Street <1timstreet@...> wrote:

                                      > Thanks!
                                      >
                                      > Looks like I might be upgrading to the new iWeb for a test drive.
                                      >
                                      > I'll ask my legal team to look the other way.
                                      >
                                      > Doesn't seem to grab the embed though????

                                      iWeb does not like video embeds, like the embeds your site or YouTube feed. It does like
                                      photos.

                                      It certainly not perfect, but iWeb can do a few things very well.

                                      Topher Polack

                                      www.ChristopherPolack.com
                                    • Pat Cook
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 11, 2009
                                        Hi everyone:

                                        And even then, a $5 Domain Name from GoDaddy would be all one would need for a Blogger-hosted blog. You wouldn't even need to pay for hosting. Just simply get the DNS from Blogger Support to enter into your GoDaddy account control panel and *VOILA!* - A Blogger-hosted blog under YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME - Courtesy of GoDaddy

                                        Mind you, I just simply used GoDaddy as an example registrar. Don't like GoDaddy, insert your favorite registrar in lieu of GoDaddy :D

                                        Cheers :D

                                        Pat Cook
                                        patsblogs@...
                                        Denver, CO
                                        BLOGS & PODCASTS
                                        AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
                                        AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
                                        THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

> [...]

                                        > > developer and already running code on their server, in which case
                                        > they're
                                        > > probably aware enough of the maintenance issues to run wordpress.
                                        > >
                                        > > Lately I've been doing a lot of work in the bike industry and it
                                        > seems the
                                        > > entire industry from shop owners, to racers to bike makers runs almost
                                        > > exclusively on a blogspot hosted ecosystem. It simply works.
                                        > >
                                        > > P.S. a good auto-backup system or version control system for your
                                        > blog is a
                                        > > MUST if you run wordpress. A lot of hosting providers include this
                                        > stock.
                                        > >
                                        > > -Mike
                                        > > mmeiser.com/blog
                                        > > flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2
                                        > >

                                        > > On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Steve Watkins <steve@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Looking back a page or 2 on his twitter history, I think the site got

                                      • Pat Cook
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 11, 2009
                                          Hi everyone:

                                          Ahh....But you DO have a choice Brook. Just simply get a $5 Domain Name from (Again for example) GoDaddy.

                                          Seriously, WHAT DIFFERENCE should it make as to where your blog is ACTUALLY hosted?

                                          Heck, if I wanted to, I could go out & get a domain name for my political website EVEN THOUGH the site itself is on Geocities. PEOPLE DO IT ALL THE TIME.

                                          It's the NAME you're interested in promoting as that's your site. You could care less about the host, could you?

                                          Just my opinion...

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 11, 2009
                                            Um, I'm not sure what you're responding to - I used to host a blogger blog
                                            on my own site, hosted at pair, with its own domain name, so yes I know this
                                            is possible. I found blogger's options, at the time, inadequate for what I
                                            wanted to do. I've always used domain names of my own choosing regardless of
                                            the host I'm using at the time.