Re: [videoblogging] Backing up your media

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
      Yeah, I'm a double back up guy. But at the moment that means two
      external hard drives. In England, power was pretty steady and
      reliable - hardly ever any power cuts - mostly underground power
      cables. Here on Vancouver Island, we get at least one power cut a
      month. Usually because someone drunk has driven into a power pole.
      Eventually that'll fry one of my drives, or make it fail to boot
      because it'll be in the middle of writing when it cuts out. They're
      so ridiculously delicate. I worry that when that happens, I'll go to
      my second backup and I'll either find that it's failed for any of the
      other absurd reasons these things fail, or that the power will cut
      again while I'm loading it or using it.
      Plus, each time one of these things fails, I have to go and spend
      $150-200 on another piece of shit backup drive that will fail in
      another year or so.

      So that's why I like the idea of having net backup as second backup.
      Spreading the risk. And they're probably less likely to go bust than
      my second drive is to fail. And I'm not saving 2+ TB of stuff to
      DVD. That's like a whole week spent backing up, changing discs every
      10 minutes.

      One thing I never understand: if the US is so litigation-happy, how
      come there's not a class-action lawsuit against Lacie? If anybody
      else made products that shitty and unreliable, and which destroyed
      people's stuff, they'd have lawyers crawling all over them.

      Makes me sad to think of the amount of family photos and video, let
      alone hard work and art, that keep being lost by thousands of people
      who buy one of these drives and don't know better than to trust
      them. Like I didn't a few years ago.

      Sorry. Have shingles. Am in pain and so am grumpy. Bah.

      On 1-Feb-09, at 8:17 AM, Brook Hinton wrote:

      I don't trust net backup. I don't trust anyone to stay in business long
      enough for that to be worth paying for.
      External drives are so cheap now. It's easy to move a small external
      drive
      around so it's almost never in the same place as your system. I try
      to set
      up my backup strategy so that my data survives a fire or my being
      mugged.
      Beyond that, yes, drives die, equipment fails, but it does so everywhere
      including the out there in serverland. But the likelihood of two data
      locations (like a backup drive and a main drive) failing at once is not
      high.

      And if it happens, as the zen people say, its an "opportunity for
      practice",
      you know, be here now and all that.

      If I focus more than this on my existing work, I don't make any new
      work, or
      I'm too blocked up to make good work.

      Frankly, the inability to erase traces of work from the net is more
      troubling to me than the possibility of losing all my data, even
      though I
      don't have any desire to erase anything right now. But I have work
      that HAD
      I sent it into the cloudosphere, I would now be trying to get rid of it,
      because my current self hates it.

      If I ever make more money, I MIGHT add a remote storage facility to
      the mix.
      Maybe. But it would probably be a physical delivery thing, not over the
      wires.

      Brook

      Rupert
      http://twittervlog.tv/
      Creative Mobile Filmmaking
      Shot, edited and sent with my Nokia N93

    • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:

        >... I recently had a nasty drive failure (my Drobo and its backup
        > both failed on the same day...with Seagate drives no less).

        Josh, can you share what happened? Or how? I have been considering
        the Drobo as a backup. What was its configuation? Sounds like the
        ultimate horror story.

        Stan Hirson
        http://PinePlainsViews.com
      • Michael Verdi
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
          I do multiple backups - I have a mirrored raid for video stuff + a
          time machine backup of that and my system. I've also been using
          dropbox as a web based backup for all my files that aren't music and
          video. I also have a couple of stacks of DVDs of even older stuff.
          I've lost hundreds of GB of stuff in the past and I'm sure I'll still
          lose more in the future.

          - Verdi

          On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
          <shirson@...> wrote:
          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>... I recently had a nasty drive failure (my Drobo and its backup
          >> both failed on the same day...with Seagate drives no less).
          >>

          > Josh, can you share what happened? Or how? I have been considering
          > the Drobo as a backup. What was its configuation? Sounds like the
          > ultimate horror story.
          >
          > Stan Hirson
          > http://PinePlainsViews.com

          http://michaelverdi.com
        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
            Get an Uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

            Lacie probably arent much more unreliable than any other, everybody has a make or two
            that have failed on them and make them hate that brand. If Mac users have had lots of
            Lacie failures its probably only because they have bought lots of Lacie drives.

            Cheers

            Steve Elbows