Re: [videoblogging] Backing up your media

  • Freya
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
      MySpace is owned by News International (The more powerful Rupert) so I
      don't think it's going anywhere either. Ironically these are probably
      my least favourite video sites. :(

      love

      Freya

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
        On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:
        > Thank you. This is just what I was about to ask.
        > Apart from YouTube, I don't think we can take any of them for granted
        > this year. None of their revenue models are obvious as far as I can
        > see, and their data costs must be big.

        Ive always thought it'd be cool to have an open source app that helped
        you manage an Amazon S3 account. (maybe it already exists?) But it
        would let me upload DV files and arrange them in my S3 account which
        is super reasonable.
        I could choose to actually link to these files on my blog...or just
        keep as a back up.

        One step further, this app would automatically transcode my uploaded
        DV file to settings I choose: Flash, QT, Ogg, etc.

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://jaydedman.com
        917 371 6790
      • Brook Hinton
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
          I don't trust net backup. I don't trust anyone to stay in business long
          enough for that to be worth paying for.
          External drives are so cheap now. It's easy to move a small external drive
          around so it's almost never in the same place as your system. I try to set
          up my backup strategy so that my data survives a fire or my being mugged.
          Beyond that, yes, drives die, equipment fails, but it does so everywhere
          including the out there in serverland. But the likelihood of two data
          locations (like a backup drive and a main drive) failing at once is not
          high.

          And if it happens, as the zen people say, its an "opportunity for practice",
          you know, be here now and all that.

          If I focus more than this on my existing work, I don't make any new work, or
          I'm too blocked up to make good work.

          Frankly, the inability to erase traces of work from the net is more
          troubling to me than the possibility of losing all my data, even though I
          don't have any desire to erase anything right now. But I have work that HAD
          I sent it into the cloudosphere, I would now be trying to get rid of it,
          because my current self hates it.

          If I ever make more money, I MIGHT add a remote storage facility to the mix.
          Maybe. But it would probably be a physical delivery thing, not over the
          wires.

          Brook

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
            Yeah, I'm a double back up guy. But at the moment that means two
            external hard drives. In England, power was pretty steady and
            reliable - hardly ever any power cuts - mostly underground power
            cables. Here on Vancouver Island, we get at least one power cut a
            month. Usually because someone drunk has driven into a power pole.
            Eventually that'll fry one of my drives, or make it fail to boot
            because it'll be in the middle of writing when it cuts out. They're
            so ridiculously delicate. I worry that when that happens, I'll go to
            my second backup and I'll either find that it's failed for any of the
            other absurd reasons these things fail, or that the power will cut
            again while I'm loading it or using it.
            Plus, each time one of these things fails, I have to go and spend
            $150-200 on another piece of shit backup drive that will fail in
            another year or so.

            So that's why I like the idea of having net backup as second backup.
            Spreading the risk. And they're probably less likely to go bust than
            my second drive is to fail. And I'm not saving 2+ TB of stuff to
            DVD. That's like a whole week spent backing up, changing discs every
            10 minutes.

            One thing I never understand: if the US is so litigation-happy, how
            come there's not a class-action lawsuit against Lacie? If anybody
            else made products that shitty and unreliable, and which destroyed
            people's stuff, they'd have lawyers crawling all over them.

            Makes me sad to think of the amount of family photos and video, let
            alone hard work and art, that keep being lost by thousands of people
            who buy one of these drives and don't know better than to trust
            them. Like I didn't a few years ago.

            Sorry. Have shingles. Am in pain and so am grumpy. Bah.

            On 1-Feb-09, at 8:17 AM, Brook Hinton wrote:

[...]

          • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:

              >... I recently had a nasty drive failure (my Drobo and its backup
              > both failed on the same day...with Seagate drives no less).

              Josh, can you share what happened? Or how? I have been considering
              the Drobo as a backup. What was its configuation? Sounds like the
              ultimate horror story.

              Stan Hirson
              http://PinePlainsViews.com
            • Michael Verdi
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
                I do multiple backups - I have a mirrored raid for video stuff + a
                time machine backup of that and my system. I've also been using
                dropbox as a web based backup for all my files that aren't music and
                video. I also have a couple of stacks of DVDs of even older stuff.
                I've lost hundreds of GB of stuff in the past and I'm sure I'll still
                lose more in the future.

                - Verdi

                On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
                <shirson@...> wrote:
                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>... I recently had a nasty drive failure (my Drobo and its backup
                >> both failed on the same day...with Seagate drives no less).
                >>

                > Josh, can you share what happened? Or how? I have been considering
                > the Drobo as a backup. What was its configuation? Sounds like the
                > ultimate horror story.
                >
                > Stan Hirson
                > http://PinePlainsViews.com

                http://michaelverdi.com
              • Steve Watkins
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
                  Get an Uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

                  Lacie probably arent much more unreliable than any other, everybody has a make or two
                  that have failed on them and make them hate that brand. If Mac users have had lots of
                  Lacie failures its probably only because they have bought lots of Lacie drives.

                  Cheers

                  Steve Elbows