Re: [videoblogging] streaming services

  • J. N. P.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
      Hi Markus & Brook,

      I like a lot the mogulus solution, but if you want a more traditional
      approach you could still use:

      for the transmission:
      - apple quicktime broadcaster;
      - there is also a linux live system that can do the same (free and
      open source);
      - wirecast from telestream (expensive but works locally as a live
      mixer). I tried the trial and it seemed very good;

      as for the relaying you can use:
      - justin.tv (i never tried it, just learned about this option some
      days ago);
      - apple quicktime streaming server (comes with the OS X server);
      - darwin quicktime streaming server (its from apple but free and
      open source);

      In terms of putting the darwin streaming server working, you can use
      some good hosting to do that. one of the popular ones that are enabled
      to do it is Dreamhost.
      I tested that way and by installing in a jail freebsd server.

      Its interesting because you can buid a sort of tree with the streaming
      servers and so in the end you can serve a lot of people.

      I should add that if you use CamTwist
      http://www.allocinit.com/index.php?title=CamTwist

      you can also rebroadcast live some skype or ichat video talk. This
      part i never tried but i saw it working and also on http://www.24hours24artists.com
      , Michael Verdi used it.

      Was this stuff what you were thinking? :)

      Rgds,
      ZN

      On Jan 29, 2009, at 21:02 , Markus Sandy wrote:

      > On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Brook Hinton wrote:
      >> Mogulus has pro, ad free accounts, but they START at 350/month, and
      >> that's
      >> with insane limitations on bandwidth.
      >

      > thanks brook,
      >
      > i just spoke with a streaming service provider (Arcotream) and they
      > quoted us a similar price of about $300/mo
      >
      > that's a bit high for a small town like ours
      >
      > it's hard to imagine that anyone is making that much off the ads from
      > our broadcast so hoping there is a better priced solution
      >
      > wondering if it makes more sense to set something up myself using
      > quicktime broadcaster or flash
      >
      > anyone having success with that approach? I think bloatedlesbian was
      > playing with this some time back. are you out there madge? did that
      > work well for you?
      >
      > markus

    • Brook Hinton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
        Dreamhost doesn't allow live streaming using the darwin server, only hinted
        streaming of files, unless something changed in the last year.
        Justin.tv does indeed let you stream live from qtss, but it still inserts

        Brook

      • J. N. P.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
          Hi Brook!

          Its a trick you do. you have to create a sort of metafile that you
          build on broadcaster and then when you put that file there (DH) and
          you can broadcast. you just have to try and get the free udp ports on
          that specific server. i used it just for testing and it works all right.

          with my own server i can use the automatic setup, but on dreamhost you
          have to do it with that metafile.

          i can search for more details, i remember talking with Madge about it
          also.
          I am sure i have some notes i can dig if you or anyone needs them.

          Rgds,
          ZN