Re: [videoblogging] Re: Video: Your day in moments

  • Kevin Lim
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4 7:13 PM
      Hey Jay, Adrian and Susan,
      I like the interval approach for otherwise lengthy videos. Chunking
      is a good idea; like a moving thumbnail. In a way, "mydayyesterday"
      flickr group bootstraps flickr into something like 12second.tv. In
      addition, I know users can drop photos as comments, but can they drop
      flickr video as comments too? If so, then we might have a short but
      entirely usable seesmic clone too ;)

      Not entirely related, but this might change the way I record first
      person video as a personal memory prosthetic. I'm trying to see if I
      can use my wearable video camera outfit to capture my daily life, so I
      will never forget. Steve Mann's glogging community are doing the same
      thing with cameraphones [1], as they approach this from an
      equiveillance perspective [2]

      I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
      completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
      searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
      Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
      but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
      intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
      email thread).

      Sorry I'm I'm going off tangent; just thinking out loud. :)

      [1] http://glogger.mobi
      [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equiveillance
      [3] http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=2375

      Kevin Lim
      http://theory.isthereason.com
      This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
      email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

      On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Susan <kitykity@...> wrote:
      > Remember these, Jay?
      > http://vlog.kitykity.com/?cat=14
      > Hope life is treating you all well :)
      > Susan
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Steve Garfield pointed out this new Flickr group:
      >> http://flickr.com/groups/mydayyesterday/
      >>
      >> "Shoot video throughout a day in your life, then put it together and
      > upload
      >> it the next day. Don't add any music or sound effects, just use what the
      >> camera recorded.
      >> It's easy. DO IT."
      >>
      >> I love this kind of simplicity. I'm always surprised how much these
      > mundane
      >> moments show especially as time passes.
      >>
      >> Jay
      >>
      >> --
      >> http://ryanishungry.com
      >> http://jaydedman.com
      >> 917 371 6790

    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4 7:22 PM
        what you need is something that pulls a frame out of video at
        nominated interval, sets its duration, and edits them together to get
        a poster movie (a sort of micro poster movie). So you could, for
        example:

        tell the app to grab a frame at every 5 minutes, for that frame to
        have a duration of a second, and to paste it to the poster movie. (I
        had a project that did this using applescript that worked reasonably
        well at the time). You could of course grab a frame very minute, for
        half a second and so on. This would build a small movie that just had
        stills (though there's no reason you could not tell it to grab a
        second of video every 5 minutes, which in many ways would be more
        elegant) and when you played it you'd get a sense of the material.

        part two would be to make sure that each clip you take (the fragments)
        has enough data that when clicked on it would take you to that point
        in the actual clip.

        On 05/01/2009, at 2:13 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:

        > I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
        > completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
        > searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
        > Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
        > but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
        > intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
        > email thread).

        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        adrian.miles@...
        bachelor communication honours coordinator
        vogmae.net.au
      • Kevin Lim
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4 7:30 PM
          Adrian,
          I think the (1) micro-thumbnail poster approach is more viable than
          the (2) interval video approach, because I can still scrub through my
          captured video anyway. A lot of web video service can generate
          thumbnails, but does anyone know of a desktop app that can do that?
          Perhaps an Applescript / Quicktime SMIL guru here?

          Such an app could be useful for those of us who videoblog as well ;)

          Kevin Lim

          On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
          > what you need is something that pulls a frame out of video at
          > nominated interval, sets its duration, and edits them together to get
          > a poster movie (a sort of micro poster movie). So you could, for
          > example:
          >
          > tell the app to grab a frame at every 5 minutes, for that frame to
          > have a duration of a second, and to paste it to the poster movie. (I
          > had a project that did this using applescript that worked reasonably
          > well at the time). You could of course grab a frame very minute, for
          > half a second and so on. This would build a small movie that just had
          > stills (though there's no reason you could not tell it to grab a
          > second of video every 5 minutes, which in many ways would be more
          > elegant) and when you played it you'd get a sense of the material.
          >
          > part two would be to make sure that each clip you take (the fragments)
          > has enough data that when clicked on it would take you to that point
          > in the actual clip.
          >
          > On 05/01/2009, at 2:13 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:
          >
          >> I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
          >> completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
          >> searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
          >> Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
          >> but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
          >> intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
          >> email thread).
          >
          > cheers
          > Adrian Miles
          > adrian.miles@...
          > bachelor communication honours coordinator
          > vogmae.net.au

        • Adrian Miles
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4 7:51 PM
            applescript can do it, don't need SMIL if you don't want to. I'll ask
            a former student of mine who is doing a lot of web video stuff, might
            be able to get him to make something....

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4 8:11 PM
              Adrian,
              Looking forward to it :)

              Archive.org seems to generate thumbnails from uploaded video as
              independent jpegs, which I've stitched together as a cover poster for
              previous videos. A quick and dirty way might also be to simply grab a
              screenshot of video thumbnails generated from within your video
              editing program, where you can even set the intervals of the clips.

              Kevin Lim
              Cyberculturalist

              On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
              > applescript can do it, don't need SMIL if you don't want to. I'll ask
              > a former student of mine who is doing a lot of web video stuff, might
              > be able to get him to make something....
              >
              > On 05/01/2009, at 2:30 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:
              >
              >> I think the (1) micro-thumbnail poster approach is more viable than
              >> the (2) interval video approach, because I can still scrub through my
              >> captured video anyway. A lot of web video service can generate
              >> thumbnails, but does anyone know of a desktop app that can do that?
              >> Perhaps an Applescript / Quicktime SMIL guru here?
              >>

              > cheers
              > Adrian Miles
              > adrian.miles@...
              > bachelor communication honours coordinator
              > vogmae.net.au

            • Rupert
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5 7:23 AM
                On a related note, the marvellous Mary Matthews just made a video
                from pictures people took at midnight on Jan 1st.
                http://videopancakes.blogspot.com/2009/01/project-midnight.html

                On 4-Jan-09, at 8:11 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:

                Adrian,
                Looking forward to it :)

                Archive.org seems to generate thumbnails from uploaded video as
                independent jpegs, which I've stitched together as a cover poster for
                previous videos. A quick and dirty way might also be to simply grab a
                screenshot of video thumbnails generated from within your video
                editing program, where you can even set the intervals of the clips.

                Kevin Lim
                Cyberculturalist
                http://theory.isthereason.com
                This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
                email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗
                ╚═╩═╩═╝