Re: Video: Your day in moments

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
      Remember these, Jay?
      http://vlog.kitykity.com/?cat=14
      Hope life is treating you all well :)
      Susan

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

      > Steve Garfield pointed out this new Flickr group:
      > http://flickr.com/groups/mydayyesterday/
      >
      > "Shoot video throughout a day in your life, then put it together and
      upload
      > it the next day. Don't add any music or sound effects, just use what the
      > camera recorded.
      > It's easy. DO IT."
      >
      > I love this kind of simplicity. I'm always surprised how much these
      mundane
      > moments show especially as time passes.

      > http://ryanishungry.com
      > http://jaydedman.com
      > 917 371 6790

    • Kevin Lim
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
        Hey Jay, Adrian and Susan,
        I like the interval approach for otherwise lengthy videos. Chunking
        is a good idea; like a moving thumbnail. In a way, "mydayyesterday"
        flickr group bootstraps flickr into something like 12second.tv. In
        addition, I know users can drop photos as comments, but can they drop
        flickr video as comments too? If so, then we might have a short but
        entirely usable seesmic clone too ;)

        Not entirely related, but this might change the way I record first
        person video as a personal memory prosthetic. I'm trying to see if I
        can use my wearable video camera outfit to capture my daily life, so I
        will never forget. Steve Mann's glogging community are doing the same
        thing with cameraphones [1], as they approach this from an
        equiveillance perspective [2]

        I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
        completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
        searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
        Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
        but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
        intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
        email thread).

        Sorry I'm I'm going off tangent; just thinking out loud. :)

        [1] http://glogger.mobi
        [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equiveillance
        [3] http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=2375

        Kevin Lim
        http://theory.isthereason.com
        This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
        email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

        On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Susan <kitykity@...> wrote:
        > Remember these, Jay?
        > http://vlog.kitykity.com/?cat=14
        > Hope life is treating you all well :)
        > Susan
        >
        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Steve Garfield pointed out this new Flickr group:
        >> http://flickr.com/groups/mydayyesterday/
        >>
        >> "Shoot video throughout a day in your life, then put it together and
        > upload
        >> it the next day. Don't add any music or sound effects, just use what the
        >> camera recorded.
        >> It's easy. DO IT."
        >>
        >> I love this kind of simplicity. I'm always surprised how much these
        > mundane
        >> moments show especially as time passes.
        >>
        >> Jay
        >>
        >> --
        >> http://ryanishungry.com
        >> http://jaydedman.com
        >> 917 371 6790

      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
          what you need is something that pulls a frame out of video at
          nominated interval, sets its duration, and edits them together to get
          a poster movie (a sort of micro poster movie). So you could, for
          example:

          tell the app to grab a frame at every 5 minutes, for that frame to
          have a duration of a second, and to paste it to the poster movie. (I
          had a project that did this using applescript that worked reasonably
          well at the time). You could of course grab a frame very minute, for
          half a second and so on. This would build a small movie that just had
          stills (though there's no reason you could not tell it to grab a
          second of video every 5 minutes, which in many ways would be more
          elegant) and when you played it you'd get a sense of the material.

          part two would be to make sure that each clip you take (the fragments)
          has enough data that when clicked on it would take you to that point
          in the actual clip.

          On 05/01/2009, at 2:13 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:

          > I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
          > completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
          > searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
          > Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
          > but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
          > intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
          > email thread).

          cheers
          Adrian Miles
          adrian.miles@...
          bachelor communication honours coordinator
          vogmae.net.au
        • Kevin Lim
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
            Adrian,
            I think the (1) micro-thumbnail poster approach is more viable than
            the (2) interval video approach, because I can still scrub through my
            captured video anyway. A lot of web video service can generate
            thumbnails, but does anyone know of a desktop app that can do that?
            Perhaps an Applescript / Quicktime SMIL guru here?

            Such an app could be useful for those of us who videoblog as well ;)

            Kevin Lim

            On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
            > what you need is something that pulls a frame out of video at
            > nominated interval, sets its duration, and edits them together to get
            > a poster movie (a sort of micro poster movie). So you could, for
            > example:
            >
            > tell the app to grab a frame at every 5 minutes, for that frame to
            > have a duration of a second, and to paste it to the poster movie. (I
            > had a project that did this using applescript that worked reasonably
            > well at the time). You could of course grab a frame very minute, for
            > half a second and so on. This would build a small movie that just had
            > stills (though there's no reason you could not tell it to grab a
            > second of video every 5 minutes, which in many ways would be more
            > elegant) and when you played it you'd get a sense of the material.
            >
            > part two would be to make sure that each clip you take (the fragments)
            > has enough data that when clicked on it would take you to that point
            > in the actual clip.
            >
            > On 05/01/2009, at 2:13 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:
            >
            >> I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
            >> completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
            >> searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
            >> Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
            >> but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
            >> intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
            >> email thread).
            >
            > cheers
            > Adrian Miles
            > adrian.miles@...
            > bachelor communication honours coordinator
            > vogmae.net.au

          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
              applescript can do it, don't need SMIL if you don't want to. I'll ask
              a former student of mine who is doing a lot of web video stuff, might
              be able to get him to make something....

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
                Adrian,
                Looking forward to it :)

                Archive.org seems to generate thumbnails from uploaded video as
                independent jpegs, which I've stitched together as a cover poster for
                previous videos. A quick and dirty way might also be to simply grab a
                screenshot of video thumbnails generated from within your video
                editing program, where you can even set the intervals of the clips.

                Kevin Lim
                Cyberculturalist

                On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
                > applescript can do it, don't need SMIL if you don't want to. I'll ask
                > a former student of mine who is doing a lot of web video stuff, might
                > be able to get him to make something....
                >
                > On 05/01/2009, at 2:30 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:
                >
                >> I think the (1) micro-thumbnail poster approach is more viable than
                >> the (2) interval video approach, because I can still scrub through my
                >> captured video anyway. A lot of web video service can generate
                >> thumbnails, but does anyone know of a desktop app that can do that?
                >> Perhaps an Applescript / Quicktime SMIL guru here?
                >>

                > cheers
                > Adrian Miles
                > adrian.miles@...
                > bachelor communication honours coordinator
                > vogmae.net.au

              • Rupert
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2009
                  On a related note, the marvellous Mary Matthews just made a video
                  from pictures people took at midnight on Jan 1st.
                  http://videopancakes.blogspot.com/2009/01/project-midnight.html

                  On 4-Jan-09, at 8:11 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:

                  Adrian,
                  Looking forward to it :)

                  Archive.org seems to generate thumbnails from uploaded video as
                  independent jpegs, which I've stitched together as a cover poster for
                  previous videos. A quick and dirty way might also be to simply grab a
                  screenshot of video thumbnails generated from within your video
                  editing program, where you can even set the intervals of the clips.

                  Kevin Lim
                  Cyberculturalist
                  http://theory.isthereason.com
                  This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
                  email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗
                  ╚═╩═╩═╝