Video: Your day in moments

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
      Steve Garfield pointed out this new Flickr group:
      http://flickr.com/groups/mydayyesterday/

      "Shoot video throughout a day in your life, then put it together and upload
      it the next day. Don't add any music or sound effects, just use what the
      camera recorded.
      It's easy. DO IT."

      I love this kind of simplicity. I'm always surprised how much these mundane
      moments show especially as time passes.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com

    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
        A similar project that I do with students are 'sample movies'. the
        idea is that a film/video camera (and/or sound recorder) are sampling
        machines (eg 25 fps) so we make this literal. You use your video
        camera and you then sample for a similarly defined interval. eg 5
        seconds every 5 minutes for an hour. Sometimes the hour is nominated
        (eg from 5pm), sometimes not. There is no editing, no additional
        soundtrack. Some of the works are beautiful, some mundane. But it is a
        good exercise to get them to think about simple content, simple rules
        for the generation of content, and how to frame/compose the everyday
        so that it looks decent.

        On 05/01/2009, at 3:04 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

        > "Shoot video throughout a day in your life, then put it together and
        > upload
        > it the next day. Don't add any music or sound effects, just use what
        > the
        > camera recorded.
        > It's easy. DO IT."

        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        adrian.miles@...
        bachelor communication honours coordinator
        vogmae.net.au
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
          Remember these, Jay?
          http://vlog.kitykity.com/?cat=14
          Hope life is treating you all well :)
          Susan

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

          > Steve Garfield pointed out this new Flickr group:
          > http://flickr.com/groups/mydayyesterday/
          >
          > "Shoot video throughout a day in your life, then put it together and
          upload
          > it the next day. Don't add any music or sound effects, just use what the
          > camera recorded.
          > It's easy. DO IT."
          >
          > I love this kind of simplicity. I'm always surprised how much these
          mundane
          > moments show especially as time passes.

          > http://ryanishungry.com
          > http://jaydedman.com
          > 917 371 6790

        • Kevin Lim
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
            Hey Jay, Adrian and Susan,
            I like the interval approach for otherwise lengthy videos. Chunking
            is a good idea; like a moving thumbnail. In a way, "mydayyesterday"
            flickr group bootstraps flickr into something like 12second.tv. In
            addition, I know users can drop photos as comments, but can they drop
            flickr video as comments too? If so, then we might have a short but
            entirely usable seesmic clone too ;)

            Not entirely related, but this might change the way I record first
            person video as a personal memory prosthetic. I'm trying to see if I
            can use my wearable video camera outfit to capture my daily life, so I
            will never forget. Steve Mann's glogging community are doing the same
            thing with cameraphones [1], as they approach this from an
            equiveillance perspective [2]

            I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
            completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
            searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
            Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
            but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
            intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
            email thread).

            Sorry I'm I'm going off tangent; just thinking out loud. :)

            [1] http://glogger.mobi
            [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equiveillance
            [3] http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=2375

            Kevin Lim
            http://theory.isthereason.com
            This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
            email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

            On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Susan <kitykity@...> wrote:
            > Remember these, Jay?
            > http://vlog.kitykity.com/?cat=14
            > Hope life is treating you all well :)
            > Susan
            >
            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Steve Garfield pointed out this new Flickr group:
            >> http://flickr.com/groups/mydayyesterday/
            >>
            >> "Shoot video throughout a day in your life, then put it together and
            > upload
            >> it the next day. Don't add any music or sound effects, just use what the
            >> camera recorded.
            >> It's easy. DO IT."
            >>
            >> I love this kind of simplicity. I'm always surprised how much these
            > mundane
            >> moments show especially as time passes.
            >>
            >> Jay
            >>
            >> --
            >> http://ryanishungry.com
            >> http://jaydedman.com
            >> 917 371 6790

          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
              what you need is something that pulls a frame out of video at
              nominated interval, sets its duration, and edits them together to get
              a poster movie (a sort of micro poster movie). So you could, for
              example:

              tell the app to grab a frame at every 5 minutes, for that frame to
              have a duration of a second, and to paste it to the poster movie. (I
              had a project that did this using applescript that worked reasonably
              well at the time). You could of course grab a frame very minute, for
              half a second and so on. This would build a small movie that just had
              stills (though there's no reason you could not tell it to grab a
              second of video every 5 minutes, which in many ways would be more
              elegant) and when you played it you'd get a sense of the material.

              part two would be to make sure that each clip you take (the fragments)
              has enough data that when clicked on it would take you to that point
              in the actual clip.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
                Adrian,
                I think the (1) micro-thumbnail poster approach is more viable than
                the (2) interval video approach, because I can still scrub through my
                captured video anyway. A lot of web video service can generate
                thumbnails, but does anyone know of a desktop app that can do that?
                Perhaps an Applescript / Quicktime SMIL guru here?

                Such an app could be useful for those of us who videoblog as well ;)

                Kevin Lim

                On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
                > what you need is something that pulls a frame out of video at
                > nominated interval, sets its duration, and edits them together to get
                > a poster movie (a sort of micro poster movie). So you could, for
                > example:
                >
                > tell the app to grab a frame at every 5 minutes, for that frame to
                > have a duration of a second, and to paste it to the poster movie. (I
                > had a project that did this using applescript that worked reasonably
                > well at the time). You could of course grab a frame very minute, for
                > half a second and so on. This would build a small movie that just had
                > stills (though there's no reason you could not tell it to grab a
                > second of video every 5 minutes, which in many ways would be more
                > elegant) and when you played it you'd get a sense of the material.
                >
                > part two would be to make sure that each clip you take (the fragments)
                > has enough data that when clicked on it would take you to that point
                > in the actual clip.
                >
                > On 05/01/2009, at 2:13 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:
                >
                >> I've recently shared a 17min demo of how / why I do record my life as
                >> completely as possible [3], and as you can guess, cataloguing and
                >> searching through lengthy videos is still something I'm researching.
                >> Right now I've tried tagging keyframes using services like Viddler,
                >> but I might resort to using a thumbnail generator with hourly
                >> intervals so I can quickly browse through them (as inspired in this
                >> email thread).
                >
                > cheers
                > Adrian Miles
                > adrian.miles@...
                > bachelor communication honours coordinator
                > vogmae.net.au

              • Adrian Miles
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
                  applescript can do it, don't need SMIL if you don't want to. I'll ask
                  a former student of mine who is doing a lot of web video stuff, might
                  be able to get him to make something....

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
                    Adrian,
                    Looking forward to it :)

                    Archive.org seems to generate thumbnails from uploaded video as
                    independent jpegs, which I've stitched together as a cover poster for
                    previous videos. A quick and dirty way might also be to simply grab a
                    screenshot of video thumbnails generated from within your video
                    editing program, where you can even set the intervals of the clips.

                    Kevin Lim
                    Cyberculturalist

                    On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
                    > applescript can do it, don't need SMIL if you don't want to. I'll ask
                    > a former student of mine who is doing a lot of web video stuff, might
                    > be able to get him to make something....
                    >
                    > On 05/01/2009, at 2:30 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:
                    >
                    >> I think the (1) micro-thumbnail poster approach is more viable than
                    >> the (2) interval video approach, because I can still scrub through my
                    >> captured video anyway. A lot of web video service can generate
                    >> thumbnails, but does anyone know of a desktop app that can do that?
                    >> Perhaps an Applescript / Quicktime SMIL guru here?
                    >>

                    > cheers
                    > Adrian Miles
                    > adrian.miles@...
                    > bachelor communication honours coordinator
                    > vogmae.net.au

                  • Rupert
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2009
                      On a related note, the marvellous Mary Matthews just made a video
                      from pictures people took at midnight on Jan 1st.
                      http://videopancakes.blogspot.com/2009/01/project-midnight.html

                      On 4-Jan-09, at 8:11 PM, Kevin Lim wrote:

                      Adrian,
                      Looking forward to it :)

                      Archive.org seems to generate thumbnails from uploaded video as
                      independent jpegs, which I've stitched together as a cover poster for
                      previous videos. A quick and dirty way might also be to simply grab a
                      screenshot of video thumbnails generated from within your video
                      editing program, where you can even set the intervals of the clips.

                      Kevin Lim
                      Cyberculturalist
                      http://theory.isthereason.com
                      This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
                      email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗
                      ╚═╩═╩═╝