Re: [videoblogging] Macbook Pro + Final Cut Express 4 = Fail!

  • Kris Boustedt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
      The problem is likely the result of your sequence settings not
      matching the settings of your captured footage. When footage of type
      A is added to a sequence of type B (ie. HDV footage to a DV sequence),
      FCE will force you to transcode the footage to type B before playing
      back in real-time (in other words, needless rendering).

      The easiest way to fix this is: BEFORE you create a new project,
      select an Easy Setup (under the Final Cut Pro menu) that matches your
      camera.

      Now when you create a new project, any sequence you create will have
      matching settings to any footage you capture.

      If you want to make corrections inside the project you're already
      working on, you can usually just right-click on a clip in the browser
      and inspect its properties -- vid rate, compressor, dimensions, etc.
      And then just change your sequence settings (under the Sequence menu)
      to match.

      Hope this helps!

      --
      Kris Boustedt | First Sight Productions
      kris@... | 206.354.5031

      On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Sheldon Pineo <icenrye@...> wrote:
      > Ok folks. Santa brought me a 4gig MBP and a copy of FCE 4. I've been using
      > Premiere Pro 1.5 for the past few years and wanted to switch to something
      > that can handle HD.
      >
      > I'm working on a simple sequence using a green screen and some simple
      > graphics. My problem is in rendering. First, Real Time rendering, even
      > with the frame rate set low, stops due to dropping frames so it's not
      > possible to watch the sequence.
      > If I switch to safe render, nothing shows until the sequence is rendered
      > which takes 15 minutes for a 2 minute segment! Then, if I make a change, it
      > wants to render again.
      >
      > Seeing the number of people on this list with MBPs and using FC Pro, I know
      > most, if not all, of my problems are settings, or something very simple.
      > Any ideas on how I can make this a better experience?
      >
      > Oh. Original footage is from my Canon HV30 shot in HDV mode.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Shel.
      > --
      > www.icenrye.com
      > www.icenrye.blogspot.com
      > www.icenryelikes.blogspot.com

    • Sheldon Pineo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
        On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Kris Boustedt <
        kris@...> wrote:

        > The problem is likely the result of your sequence settings not
        > matching the settings of your captured footage.

        Thanks! I'll check that out.

        Shel.
        --
        www.icenrye.com
        www.icenrye.blogspot.com
        www.icenryelikes.blogspot.com

      • Adam Jochum
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
          Sounds about right, I've been working with FCE4 on a 2GB MBP, and it's been taking 2
          hours to render 8 minutes of footage. It's to be expected. That said, I've been very happy
          with the results!

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Sheldon Pineo" <icenrye@...> wrote:

          > Ok folks. Santa brought me a 4gig MBP and a copy of FCE 4. I've been using
          > Premiere Pro 1.5 for the past few years and wanted to switch to something
          > that can handle HD.
          >
          > I'm working on a simple sequence using a green screen and some simple
          > graphics. My problem is in rendering. First, Real Time rendering, even
          > with the frame rate set low, stops due to dropping frames so it's not
          > possible to watch the sequence.
          > If I switch to safe render, nothing shows until the sequence is rendered
          > which takes 15 minutes for a 2 minute segment! Then, if I make a change, it
          > wants to render again.
          >
          > Seeing the number of people on this list with MBPs and using FC Pro, I know
          > most, if not all, of my problems are settings, or something very simple.
          > Any ideas on how I can make this a better experience?
          >
          > Oh. Original footage is from my Canon HV30 shot in HDV mode.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Shel.
          > --
          > www.icenrye.com
          > www.icenrye.blogspot.com
          > www.icenryelikes.blogspot.com

        • danielmcvicar
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
            Rendering drives me nuts on Final Cut. I use footage from multiple
            sources and premiere or sony vegas can accept it.
            It seems that Final Cut has a closed system, and is designed not to be
            able to use imported clips from or to multiple platforms. When are
            they going to open up?

            Good luck!