Macbook Pro + Final Cut Express 4 = Fail!

  • Sheldon Pineo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
      Ok folks. Santa brought me a 4gig MBP and a copy of FCE 4. I've been using
      Premiere Pro 1.5 for the past few years and wanted to switch to something
      that can handle HD.

      I'm working on a simple sequence using a green screen and some simple
      graphics. My problem is in rendering. First, Real Time rendering, even
      with the frame rate set low, stops due to dropping frames so it's not
      possible to watch the sequence.
      If I switch to safe render, nothing shows until the sequence is rendered
      which takes 15 minutes for a 2 minute segment! Then, if I make a change, it
      wants to render again.

      Seeing the number of people on this list with MBPs and using FC Pro, I know
      most, if not all, of my problems are settings, or something very simple.
      Any ideas on how I can make this a better experience?

      Oh. Original footage is from my Canon HV30 shot in HDV mode.

      Thanks!
      Shel.
      --
      www.icenrye.com
      www.icenrye.blogspot.com

    • Kris Boustedt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
        The problem is likely the result of your sequence settings not
        matching the settings of your captured footage. When footage of type
        A is added to a sequence of type B (ie. HDV footage to a DV sequence),
        FCE will force you to transcode the footage to type B before playing
        back in real-time (in other words, needless rendering).

        The easiest way to fix this is: BEFORE you create a new project,
        select an Easy Setup (under the Final Cut Pro menu) that matches your
        camera.

        Now when you create a new project, any sequence you create will have
        matching settings to any footage you capture.

        If you want to make corrections inside the project you're already
        working on, you can usually just right-click on a clip in the browser
        and inspect its properties -- vid rate, compressor, dimensions, etc.
        And then just change your sequence settings (under the Sequence menu)
        to match.

        Hope this helps!

        --
        Kris Boustedt | First Sight Productions
        kris@... | 206.354.5031

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
          On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Kris Boustedt <
          kris@...> wrote:

          > The problem is likely the result of your sequence settings not
          > matching the settings of your captured footage.

          Thanks! I'll check that out.

          Shel.
          --
          www.icenrye.com
          www.icenrye.blogspot.com
          www.icenryelikes.blogspot.com

        • Adam Jochum
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
            Sounds about right, I've been working with FCE4 on a 2GB MBP, and it's been taking 2
            hours to render 8 minutes of footage. It's to be expected. That said, I've been very happy
            with the results!

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Sheldon Pineo" <icenrye@...> wrote:

            > Ok folks. Santa brought me a 4gig MBP and a copy of FCE 4. I've been using
            > Premiere Pro 1.5 for the past few years and wanted to switch to something
            > that can handle HD.
            >
            > I'm working on a simple sequence using a green screen and some simple
            > graphics. My problem is in rendering. First, Real Time rendering, even
            > with the frame rate set low, stops due to dropping frames so it's not
            > possible to watch the sequence.
            > If I switch to safe render, nothing shows until the sequence is rendered
            > which takes 15 minutes for a 2 minute segment! Then, if I make a change, it
            > wants to render again.
            >
            > Seeing the number of people on this list with MBPs and using FC Pro, I know
            > most, if not all, of my problems are settings, or something very simple.
            > Any ideas on how I can make this a better experience?
            >
            > Oh. Original footage is from my Canon HV30 shot in HDV mode.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Shel.
            > --
            > www.icenrye.com
            > www.icenrye.blogspot.com
            > www.icenryelikes.blogspot.com

          • danielmcvicar
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
              Rendering drives me nuts on Final Cut. I use footage from multiple
              sources and premiere or sony vegas can accept it.
              It seems that Final Cut has a closed system, and is designed not to be
              able to use imported clips from or to multiple platforms. When are
              they going to open up?

              Good luck!