Re: [videoblogging] Boxee: open source media player

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
      On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM, @sull <sulleleven@...> wrote:
      > i recently installed it and it's all good.
      > it fills a void.... where joost failed, boxee will succeed.
      > i'd like to look into building plugins for this thing.
      > and using it with a cheap touch screen tablet as a controller for a TV.
      > nice to see an open platform for interfacing with any media source.

      Loiez pointed out this site:
      http://wanplayer.com/
      It's all in French, but looks like a similar system.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com
      917 371 6790
    • Mike Meiser
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
        So, I finally got around to checking out boxee now that that it's in public
        beta.
        I like what I see so far. Love it actually... and I haven't even fired up
        the software.

        I have a couple questions though.

        1) How in the world can it handle netflix streaming?? Netflix streaming
        uses silverlight. So far as I know it's not been cracked, and without being
        cracked it can't be built into Boxee.

        Then again, I see boxee is built of the open source XBMC media player which
        was built for microsoft's Xbox... so maybe Silverlight DRM scheme is in
        Boxee!? Open source is by definitition sort of morally, legally and
        diametrically opposite DRM since it relies on "secrete code", but perhaps
        boxee is based on some new open source license that makes exceptions. Or
        perhaps Silverlight really has been reverse engineered.

        Still researching

        2) It handles bittorrent feeds? This I have to see. I assume it has it
        implimented into the interface and downloads in the background. Yet nothing
        I've seen... even miro has made bittorrent seemless and transparent... i.e.
        "auto-magic". Bittorrent has always required at the very least some heavy
        configuration and you to kick out old seeds.

        3) Can we share usernames? I'm dying to try out the social features. Mine
        is "mmeiser". Will be looking for other videobloggers on there.

        More questions and answers to come soon.

        Peace,

        -Mike
        flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2
        mmeiser.com/blog