Old but true: making living, instead of a fortune

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
      The "1000 True Fans" has been posted before, but I think it's worth
      reposting.
      http://trulyfreefilm.blogspot.com/2008/12/1000-true-fans.html
      Many people on this list videoblog for fun.
      Others are creatives trying to create for a living (and also possibly for
      fun).

      This post is advice for amateur filmmakers though is equally as pertinent to
      videobloggers.
      I'm sure many us us already intuitively understand that the web allows us to
      connect directly with the people who watch our work for basically the cost
      of our time.
      Instead of relying on some invisible executive to "give us the greenlight",
      we do what makes sense to us.

      Artists starting out in this digitally mediated world have another path
      > other than stardom, a path made possible by the very technology that creates
      > the long tail. Instead of trying to reach the narrow and unlikely peaks of
      > platinum hits, bestseller blockbusters, and celebrity status, they can aim
      > for direct connection with 1,000 True Fans. It's a much saner destination to
      > hope for. You make a living instead of a fortune. You are surrounded not by
      > fad and fashionable infatuation, but by True Fans. And you are much more
      > likely to actually arrive there.

      Anyway...keeping making.
      Happy New Year.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com

    • Jan McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
        This is IT.

        THE place to want to be.

        Ohm.

        Here's to '09.

        Jan

        On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
        > The "1000 True Fans" has been posted before, but I think it's worth
        > reposting.
        > http://trulyfreefilm.blogspot.com/2008/12/1000-true-fans.html
        > Many people on this list videoblog for fun.
        > Others are creatives trying to create for a living (and also possibly for
        > fun).
        >
        > This post is advice for amateur filmmakers though is equally as pertinent to
        > videobloggers.
        > I'm sure many us us already intuitively understand that the web allows us to
        > connect directly with the people who watch our work for basically the cost
        > of our time.
        > Instead of relying on some invisible executive to "give us the greenlight",
        > we do what makes sense to us.
        >
        > Artists starting out in this digitally mediated world have another path
        >> other than stardom, a path made possible by the very technology that creates
        >> the long tail. Instead of trying to reach the narrow and unlikely peaks of
        >> platinum hits, bestseller blockbusters, and celebrity status, they can aim
        >> for direct connection with 1,000 True Fans. It's a much saner destination to
        >> hope for. You make a living instead of a fortune. You are surrounded not by
        >> fad and fashionable infatuation, but by True Fans. And you are much more
        >> likely to actually arrive there.
        >>

        > Anyway...keeping making.
        > Happy New Year.

        > http://ryanishungry.com