Re: Boxee: open source media player

  • danielmcvicar
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2008
      I tried it and video playing off of my computer showed pink and
      powderblue.
      looks cool but I can't get it to work yet. The UI is good.
      Hmmmm

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee
      > > It's licensed GPL which is encouraging because people can build on it.
      > >
      > > anyone actually try it yet?
      > >
      > > Jay
      > >
      > > --
      > > http://jaydedman.com
      > > 917 371 6790

    • Sheldon Pineo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
        There is a fix for this. Look for info on the ATI 1600 video card on
        the boxee forums.

        Sent from my iPod

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
          On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM, @sull <sulleleven@...> wrote:
          > i recently installed it and it's all good.
          > it fills a void.... where joost failed, boxee will succeed.
          > i'd like to look into building plugins for this thing.
          > and using it with a cheap touch screen tablet as a controller for a TV.
          > nice to see an open platform for interfacing with any media source.

          Loiez pointed out this site:
          http://wanplayer.com/
          It's all in French, but looks like a similar system.

          http://ryanishungry.com
          http://jaydedman.com
          917 371 6790
        • Mike Meiser
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
            So, I finally got around to checking out boxee now that that it's in public
            beta.
            I like what I see so far. Love it actually... and I haven't even fired up
            the software.

            I have a couple questions though.

            1) How in the world can it handle netflix streaming?? Netflix streaming
            uses silverlight. So far as I know it's not been cracked, and without being
            cracked it can't be built into Boxee.

            Then again, I see boxee is built of the open source XBMC media player which
            was built for microsoft's Xbox... so maybe Silverlight DRM scheme is in
            Boxee!? Open source is by definitition sort of morally, legally and
            diametrically opposite DRM since it relies on "secrete code", but perhaps
            boxee is based on some new open source license that makes exceptions. Or
            perhaps Silverlight really has been reverse engineered.

            Still researching

            2) It handles bittorrent feeds? This I have to see. I assume it has it
            implimented into the interface and downloads in the background. Yet nothing
            I've seen... even miro has made bittorrent seemless and transparent... i.e.
            "auto-magic". Bittorrent has always required at the very least some heavy
            configuration and you to kick out old seeds.

            3) Can we share usernames? I'm dying to try out the social features. Mine
            is "mmeiser". Will be looking for other videobloggers on there.

            More questions and answers to come soon.

            Peace,

            -Mike
            flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2
            mmeiser.com/blog