Boxee: open source media player

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2008
      Enric mentioned this site recently which I just now checked out:
      http://www.boxee.tv
      They have a video explainer on the front page.

      It's not open yet accept through invite, but look interesting.
      Supposedly it lets you watch stuff from around the web in one place.
      The wikipedia article explains more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee
      It's licensed GPL which is encouraging because people can build on it.

      anyone actually try it yet?

      http://jaydedman.com

    • schlomo rabinowitz
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2008
        I use it; I even stream my Netflix to it so I dont have to wait for the
        mail. Liking it a lot.
        I have a couple invites. If anyone is interested, just email me off-list.

        Schlomo Rabinowitz
        http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
        http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
        AIM:schlomochat

        On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

        > Enric mentioned this site recently which I just now checked out:
        > http://www.boxee.tv
        > They have a video explainer on the front page.
        >
        > It's not open yet accept through invite, but look interesting.
        > Supposedly it lets you watch stuff from around the web in one place.
        > The wikipedia article explains more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee
        > It's licensed GPL which is encouraging because people can build on it.
        >
        > anyone actually try it yet?

        > http://jaydedman.com
        > 917 371 6790

      • Sheldon Pineo
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 28, 2008
          On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 11:10 AM, schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...>wrote:

          > I use it; I even stream my Netflix to it so I dont have to wait for the
          > mail. Liking it a lot.

          Ditto! Running it on both Macs and Apple TV. The developers are on Twitter
          and if you have a problem, they're usually pretty quick to get back to you.

          Best thing for me is that I don't have to convert my video to mp4 to watch
          on the ATV.

          Cheers!
          Shel.

          www.icenrye.com
          www.icenrye.blogspot.com
          www.icenryelikes.blogspot.com

        • Jen Simmons
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 28, 2008
            I am using it. I like it. Makes me want a TV to use it on.
            I like that I can watch videoblogs via RSS without having pre-
            downloaded anything. I'm not sure how much I'll use Boxee vs. a web
            broswer, however. If I had a TV (and no tivo or whatever other service
            people already use) I would *totally* use the Boxee all the time.
            So far, on my computer, it's just an experiment.

            I think there'd be more value if I had more "friends" to follow � you
            can watch what your friends just watched. Which would be a great way
            to find new online content.

            Jen

            Jen Simmons
            Milkweed Media Design
            http://milkweedmediadesign.com

            On Dec 28, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

            > Enric mentioned this site recently which I just now checked out:
            > http://www.boxee.tv
            > They have a video explainer on the front page.
            >
            > It's not open yet accept through invite, but look interesting.
            > Supposedly it lets you watch stuff from around the web in one place.
            > The wikipedia article explains more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
            > Boxee
            > It's licensed GPL which is encouraging because people can build on it.
            >
            > anyone actually try it yet?

            > http://jaydedman.com
            > 917 371 6790

          • schlomo rabinowitz
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 29, 2008
              Yeah, its not that great if just using it with your computer.. though I got
              rid of cable-versioned television a long time ago, and have been loving
              using this.
              It even takes RSS feeds for both the podcasts I enjoy as well as
              bittorrenting the shows I still want to see from the teevee.

              On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Jen Simmons <jensimmons@...> wrote:

              > I am using it. I like it. Makes me want a TV to use it on.
              > I like that I can watch videoblogs via RSS without having pre-
              > downloaded anything. I'm not sure how much I'll use Boxee vs. a web
              > broswer, however. If I had a TV (and no tivo or whatever other service
              > people already use) I would *totally* use the Boxee all the time.
              > So far, on my computer, it's just an experiment.
              >
              > I think there'd be more value if I had more "friends" to follow � you
              > can watch what your friends just watched. Which would be a great way
              > to find new online content.
              >
              > Jen
              >
              > Jen Simmons
              > Milkweed Media Design
              > http://milkweedmediadesign.com
              >
              > On Dec 28, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Jay dedman wrote:
              >
              > > Enric mentioned this site recently which I just now checked out:
              > > http://www.boxee.tv
              > > They have a video explainer on the front page.
              > >
              > > It's not open yet accept through invite, but look interesting.
              > > Supposedly it lets you watch stuff from around the web in one place.
              > > The wikipedia article explains more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
              > > Boxee
              > > It's licensed GPL which is encouraging because people can build on it.
              > >
              > > anyone actually try it yet?
              > >
              > > Jay
              > >
              > > --
              > > http://jaydedman.com
              > > 917 371 6790

            • David Terranova
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 29, 2008
                I never thought this day would come: I¹ve just read a blog from beginning to
                end.
                Starting from http://blog.boxee.tv/page/16

                --
                David Terranova
                www.davidterranova.com | blog.davidterranova.com | www.rebelrave.tv

                From: schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...>
                Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:28:48 -0800
                To: "videoblogging@yahoogroups.com" <videoblogging@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Boxee: open source media player

              • @sull
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 31, 2008
                  i recently installed it and it's all good.
                  it fills a void.... where joost failed, boxee will succeed.

                  i'd like to look into building plugins for this thing.
                  and using it with a cheap touch screen tablet as a controller for a TV.

                  nice to see an open platform for interfacing with any media source.

                  happy09-
                  sull

                  On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                  > Enric mentioned this site recently which I just now checked out:
                  > http://www.boxee.tv
                  > They have a video explainer on the front page.
                  >
                  > It's not open yet accept through invite, but look interesting.
                  > Supposedly it lets you watch stuff from around the web in one place.
                  > The wikipedia article explains more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee
                  > It's licensed GPL which is encouraging because people can build on it.
                  >
                  > anyone actually try it yet?

                  > http://jaydedman.com
                  > 917 371 6790

                • Brook Hinton
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2008
                    Installed it. I'm not feeling it, as the kids say, but I think its because
                    it resembles TV too much. Seems klunky, unintuitive. Would probably like it
                    better as a tv interface.
                    Haven't played around with rss on it yet either.

                  • danielmcvicar
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 31, 2008
                      I tried it and video playing off of my computer showed pink and
                      powderblue.
                      looks cool but I can't get it to work yet. The UI is good.
                      Hmmmm

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "@..." <sulleleven@...> wrote:

                      > i recently installed it and it's all good.
                      > it fills a void.... where joost failed, boxee will succeed.
                      >
                      > i'd like to look into building plugins for this thing.
                      > and using it with a cheap touch screen tablet as a controller for a TV.
                      >
                      > nice to see an open platform for interfacing with any media source.
                      >
                      > happy09-
                      > sull
                      >
                      > On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Enric mentioned this site recently which I just now checked out:
                      > > http://www.boxee.tv
                      > > They have a video explainer on the front page.
                      > >
                      > > It's not open yet accept through invite, but look interesting.
                      > > Supposedly it lets you watch stuff from around the web in one place.
                      > > The wikipedia article explains more:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee
                      > > It's licensed GPL which is encouraging because people can build on it.
                      > >
                      > > anyone actually try it yet?
                      > >
                      > > Jay
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > http://jaydedman.com
                      > > 917 371 6790

                    • Sheldon Pineo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                        There is a fix for this. Look for info on the ATI 1600 video card on
                        the boxee forums.

                        Sent from my iPod

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                          On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM, @sull <sulleleven@...> wrote:
                          > i recently installed it and it's all good.
                          > it fills a void.... where joost failed, boxee will succeed.
                          > i'd like to look into building plugins for this thing.
                          > and using it with a cheap touch screen tablet as a controller for a TV.
                          > nice to see an open platform for interfacing with any media source.

                          Loiez pointed out this site:
                          http://wanplayer.com/
                          It's all in French, but looks like a similar system.

                          http://ryanishungry.com
                          http://jaydedman.com
                          917 371 6790
                        • Mike Meiser
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
                            So, I finally got around to checking out boxee now that that it's in public
                            beta.
                            I like what I see so far. Love it actually... and I haven't even fired up
                            the software.

                            I have a couple questions though.

                            1) How in the world can it handle netflix streaming?? Netflix streaming
                            uses silverlight. So far as I know it's not been cracked, and without being
                            cracked it can't be built into Boxee.

                            Then again, I see boxee is built of the open source XBMC media player which
                            was built for microsoft's Xbox... so maybe Silverlight DRM scheme is in
                            Boxee!? Open source is by definitition sort of morally, legally and
                            diametrically opposite DRM since it relies on "secrete code", but perhaps
                            boxee is based on some new open source license that makes exceptions. Or
                            perhaps Silverlight really has been reverse engineered.

                            Still researching

                            2) It handles bittorrent feeds? This I have to see. I assume it has it
                            implimented into the interface and downloads in the background. Yet nothing
                            I've seen... even miro has made bittorrent seemless and transparent... i.e.
                            "auto-magic". Bittorrent has always required at the very least some heavy
                            configuration and you to kick out old seeds.

                            3) Can we share usernames? I'm dying to try out the social features. Mine
                            is "mmeiser". Will be looking for other videobloggers on there.

                            More questions and answers to come soon.

                            Peace,

                            -Mike
                            flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2
                            mmeiser.com/blog