how to repair out of sync .mp4 files

  • scoobyfox
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
      I just ripped and output (with Handbrake) a DVD from a show I did into an mp4 file.

      The audio is lagging a second or 2 behind the video.

      Is the only way to repair this to split the track in imovie and then manually try to re-align
      them?

      Is this a known problem outputting with handbrake?

      Appreciate any insight or help.

      thanks,
      heather
    • RANDY MANN
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
        i use hand break all the time, i dont think it is a hand break isue

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
          On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:10 PM, scoobyfox <heather@...> wrote:
          > I just ripped and output (with Handbrake) a DVD from a show I did into an
          > mp4 file.
          > The audio is lagging a second or 2 behind the video.
          > Is the only way to repair this to split the track in imovie and then
          > manually try to re-align
          them?
          > Is this a known problem outputting with handbrake?

          This is not a regular occurrence with Handbrake.
          maybe try ripping the DVD again and see if you get the same result.
          The issue may be how the DVD was encoded?

          But yes, you can drag the file into iMovie/FCP and realign the audio.

          http://jaydedman.com
          917 371 6790
        • sjs Productions
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
            I recently had a sync problem that I fixed by bringing in the QT movie into
            QT and then exporting the movie as a new name out of QT. Might try that.
            Susan

            On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:10 PM, scoobyfox <heather@...> wrote:

            > I just ripped and output (with Handbrake) a DVD from a show I did into
            > an mp4 file.
            >
            > The audio is lagging a second or 2 behind the video.
            >
            > Is the only way to repair this to split the track in imovie and then
            > manually try to re-align
            > them?
            >
            > Is this a known problem outputting with handbrake?
            >
            > Appreciate any insight or help.
            >
            > thanks,
            > heather

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 12, 2008
              Hi everyone:

              I may be getting in late on this, so if I am, please bear with me.

              First of all, you should NEVER rip your preview video directly into what you will encode your final draft version into. This is because (As you just found out the hard way), if there ARE any technical issues, they can be corrected via the preview version.

              The preview version should ALWAYS be encoded in either AVI (If you have a Windows machine), MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 formats. You can then load this version into just about any application such as TMGEnc or any of the others out there (I recommend TMPGEnc because its free while the others are either shareware or payware).

              THAT IN MIND THOUGH, you should be aware that....

              A). These programs may not be able to correct *all* of the technical issues with your video, but they can help in correcting some or most of them.

              B). If the program or programs don't correct ANY of the issues at all, then more likely than not, the problem lies with the source file on the DVD itself. Not many applications can encode straight from DVD and still keep the encoded video bug free (TMPGEnc can only do so much to correct such anomalies).

              In any event, once you have your preview version, play it using any player. If there are no problems, then simply export it into your final draft MP4 video.

              Hope this helps....

              Cheers

              Pat