Re: [videoblogging] What to charge for camera and video editing

  • Brian Richardson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
      Pros in the Atlanta area charge anywhere from $75-200 per hour,
      depending on their equipment and experience. I'm on the lower-end of
      that scale :)

      On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM, David Terranova
      <david@...> wrote:
      > In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
      > yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
      > something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
      > will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.
      >
      > Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
      > logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in London is
      > £400 per day.
      >
      > Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
      > my costs on.
      >
      > --
      >
      > David Terranova
      > /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:
      >
      >> Hello everyone!
      >> What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
      >> http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
      >>
      >> A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
      >> video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about 3-4
      >> hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
      >> editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days since
      >> I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each event to
      >> later compile the video to a soundtrack.
      >>
      >> Any comments are highly appreciated.
      >>
      >> Thanks!!!
      >> Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

      ================
      Brian Richardson
      - http://siliconchef.com
      - http://dragoncontv.com
      - http://whatthecast.com
      - http://www.3chip.com
    • Ben Halverson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        I would take the total amount of money you want to make for taping and
        divide by the number of hours you will be working
        Total $/hrs wrk = pay per hour

        You might also want to include gas used at the rate of .37 cents per
        mile

        You could do the same for editing

        Ben Halverson
        Sent from my iPhone

      • l.deniel@modele11.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          In France for editing on FCP is 350�/day ( tariff union)

          Loiez

          Le 3 nov. 08 � 16:20, Brian Richardson a �crit :

          > Pros in the Atlanta area charge anywhere from $75-200 per hour,
          > depending on their equipment and experience. I'm on the lower-end of
          > that scale :)
          >
          > On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM, David Terranova
          > <david@...> wrote:
          > > In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
          > > yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
          > > something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
          > > will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.
          > >
          > > Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
          > > logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in
          > London is
          > > �400 per day.
          > >
          > > Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
          > > my costs on.
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > > David Terranova
          > > /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:
          > >
          > >> Hello everyone!
          > >> What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
          > >> http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
          > >>
          > >> A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
          > >> video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about
          > 3-4
          > >> hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
          > >> editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days
          > since
          > >> I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each
          > event to
          > >> later compile the video to a soundtrack.
          > >>
          > >> Any comments are highly appreciated.
          > >>
          > >> Thanks!!!
          > >> Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

          > ================
          > Brian Richardson
          > - http://siliconchef.com
          > - http://dragoncontv.com
          > - http://whatthecast.com
          > - http://www.3chip.com

          Loiez Deniel
          http://www.loiez.org
          l.deniel@...
          ! new cell phone : +33 06 08 31 96 98
          Skype : ultimcodex
          M'appeler gratuitement de votre PC sur mon portable
          http://call.mylivio.com/loiez

        • Renat Zarbailov
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
            Thanks everyone who had something to say on this.
            I have decided that it would be fair to charge $600 (shoot and
            edit)for 2-minute videos like below with a week turnaround.

            Renat

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Renat Zarbailov" <innomind@...>