Buy this song

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2008
      I dont know if this is new, but i just noticed this on youtube.
      Miss B linked to this home video of a guy dancing:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBmniQbGX0

      If you scroll down, you see that it says "buy this song on Amazon or iTunes".
      I wonder if the guy just uploaded the video using copyrighted music,
      but Youtube discovered the song and added the pay link.
      Does this fix the problem of "copyrighted music"?
      People can use commercial music and upload it to youtube, and they
      just add a link for purchase?

      http://jaydedman.com
      917 371 6790
    • pepa garcía
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2008
        that video is not available in chile, by the way.

        http://pepa.tv
        http://teleperra.com

        On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

        > I dont know if this is new, but i just noticed this on youtube.
        > Miss B linked to this home video of a guy dancing:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBmniQbGX0
        >
        > If you scroll down, you see that it says "buy this song on Amazon or
        > iTunes".
        > I wonder if the guy just uploaded the video using copyrighted music,
        > but Youtube discovered the song and added the pay link.
        > Does this fix the problem of "copyrighted music"?
        > People can use commercial music and upload it to youtube, and they
        > just add a link for purchase?

        > http://jaydedman.com
        > 917 371 6790

      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hi everyone:

          Even so, it's not enough to skirt the DMCA though....

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2008
            interesting observation.
            let's find some info on it.
            quick search only brought be to
            http://www.techshout.com/internet/2008/08/youtube-amazon-and-itunes-collaborate-to-offer-click-to-buy-service/

            dont have time now to delve but will later.

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2008
              On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM, pepa garcía <puritito.tomate@...> wrote:
              > that video is not available in chile, by the way.

              good to note.
              interesting that youtube can turn off videos in certain places, and
              seems to do so regularly based on different rules/laws.

              Sull found a good link on the announcement:
              http://www.techshout.com/internet/2008/08/youtube-amazon-and-itunes-collaborate-to-offer-click-to-buy-service/

              It still doesnt explain if Youtube auto-detects the song somehow...or
              if the video creator somehow is involved in the transaction.

              http://jaydedman.com
              917 371 6790
            • Adriana Kaegi
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 3, 2008
                an other article about this great news, just wondering if anyone who sells songs on itunes can add a link to their videos (and how), or will it only be available to high traffic tubers and record labels?

                http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10354

                adriana kaegi
                http://dearaddy.com

                > I dont know if this is new, but i just noticed this on
                > youtube.
                > Miss B linked to this home video of a guy dancing:
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBmniQbGX0
                >
                > If you scroll down, you see that it says "buy this
                > song on Amazon or iTunes".
                > I wonder if the guy just uploaded the video using
                > copyrighted music,
                > but Youtube discovered the song and added the pay link.
                > Does this fix the problem of "copyrighted music"?
                > People can use commercial music and upload it to youtube,
                > and they
                > just add a link for purchase?

                > http://jaydedman.com
                > 917 371 6790
              • Pete Prodoehl
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Jay dedman wrote:
                  > I dont know if this is new, but i just noticed this on youtube.
                  > Miss B linked to this home video of a guy dancing:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBmniQbGX0
                  >
                  > If you scroll down, you see that it says "buy this song on Amazon or iTunes".
                  > I wonder if the guy just uploaded the video using copyrighted music,
                  > but Youtube discovered the song and added the pay link.
                  > Does this fix the problem of "copyrighted music"?
                  > People can use commercial music and upload it to youtube, and they
                  > just add a link for purchase?
                  >
                  > Jay

                  Dear god I hope not...

                  Violating copyright law shouldn't be as easy as adding a 'buy it here' link.

                  Also, what is the "problem" of copyrighted music? All of the music I
                  create is copyrighted (by me) and I release almost all of it under a
                  Creative Commons license which allows people to use it in various ways.

                  Respect to artists, yo...

                  Pete
                • schlomo rabinowitz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 11, 2008
                    This doesnt really add to the conversation; more of an aside:
                    I made a video of me lipdubbing to a Spritualized song that was taken down
                    off the Facebooks because of copyright. Not sure how they would ever find
                    it as I doubt many people looked at it, but I think it was because I
                    actually credited them in text!

                    Who knows.

                    Schlomo Rabinowitz
                    http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                    http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                    AIM:schlomochat

                    On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster@...> wrote:

                    > Jay dedman wrote:
                    > > I dont know if this is new, but i just noticed this on youtube.
                    > > Miss B linked to this home video of a guy dancing:
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBmniQbGX0
                    > >
                    > > If you scroll down, you see that it says "buy this song on Amazon or
                    > iTunes".
                    > > I wonder if the guy just uploaded the video using copyrighted music,
                    > > but Youtube discovered the song and added the pay link.
                    > > Does this fix the problem of "copyrighted music"?
                    > > People can use commercial music and upload it to youtube, and they
                    > > just add a link for purchase?
                    > >
                    > > Jay
                    >
                    > Dear god I hope not...
                    >
                    > Violating copyright law shouldn't be as easy as adding a 'buy it here'
                    > link.
                    >
                    > Also, what is the "problem" of copyrighted music? All of the music I
                    > create is copyrighted (by me) and I release almost all of it under a
                    > Creative Commons license which allows people to use it in various ways.
                    >
                    > Respect to artists, yo...
                    >
                    > Pete

                  • Adriana Kaegi
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                      funny, after reading the official press release from youtube re: e-commerce platform, I called them, and was told two time that they do not offer such a service. I then contacted the PR person and she told me that they only offer this service to major record labels and only in the US for now. My question is, would anyone on this list click on a link embedded on a music video and buy the song from itunes this way?

                      > This doesnt really add to the conversation; more of an
                      > aside:
                      > I made a video of me lipdubbing to a Spritualized song that
                      > was taken down
                      > off the Facebooks because of copyright. Not sure how they
                      > would ever find
                      > it as I doubt many people looked at it, but I think it was
                      > because I
                      > actually credited them in text!
                      >
                      > Who knows.
                      >

                      > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                      > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                      > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                      > AIM:schlomochat
                      >

                      > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Pete Prodoehl
                      > <raster@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Jay dedman wrote:
                      > > > I dont know if this is new, but i just noticed
                      > this on youtube.
                      > > > Miss B linked to this home video of a guy
                      > dancing:
                      > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBmniQbGX0
                      > > >
                      > > > If you scroll down, you see that it says
                      > "buy this song on Amazon or
                      > > iTunes".
                      > > > I wonder if the guy just uploaded the video using
                      > copyrighted music,
                      > > > but Youtube discovered the song and added the pay
                      > link.
                      > > > Does this fix the problem of "copyrighted
                      > music"?
                      > > > People can use commercial music and upload it to
                      > youtube, and they
                      > > > just add a link for purchase?
                      > > >
                      > > > Jay
                      > >
                      > > Dear god I hope not...
                      > >
                      > > Violating copyright law shouldn't be as easy as
                      > adding a 'buy it here'
                      > > link.
                      > >
                      > > Also, what is the "problem" of copyrighted
                      > music? All of the music I
                      > > create is copyrighted (by me) and I release almost all
                      > of it under a
                      > > Creative Commons license which allows people to use it
                      > in various ways.
                      > >
                      > > Respect to artists, yo...
                      > >
                      > > Pete

                    • David Terranova
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                        Actually I can really see this working.

                        Already youtube has been used a lot for djs to preview tracks, and it¹s
                        becoming more and more popular. After listening to the track you then go to
                        a reseller (beatport, juno, etc) to buy the full quality track. It only
                        makes sense to be able to buy it directly from youtube.

                        Shame it¹s through itunes though.

                        --
                        David Terranova
                        www.davidterranova.com | blog.davidterranova | www.rebelrave.tv

                        From: Adriana Kaegi <a_kaegi@...>
                        Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:36:54 -0800 (PST)
                        To: "videoblogging@yahoogroups.com" <videoblogging@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Buy this song

                        <mailto:schlomo%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                        > From: schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@... <mailto:schlomo%40gmail.com> >
                        > Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Buy this song
                        > To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 7:46 PM
                        > This doesnt really add to the conversation; more of an
                        > aside:
                        > I made a video of me lipdubbing to a Spritualized song that
                        > was taken down
                        > off the Facebooks because of copyright. Not sure how they
                        > would ever find
                        > it as I doubt many people looked at it, but I think it was
                        > because I
                        > actually credited them in text!
                        >
                        > Who knows.
                        >

                        > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                        > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                        > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                        > AIM:schlomochat
                        >

                        > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Pete Prodoehl
                        > <raster@... <mailto:raster%40gmail.com> > wrote:
                        >
                        > > Jay dedman wrote:
                        > > > I dont know if this is new, but i just noticed
                        > this on youtube.
                        > > > Miss B linked to this home video of a guy
                        > dancing:
                        > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBmniQbGX0
                        > > >
                        > > > If you scroll down, you see that it says
                        > "buy this song on Amazon or
                        > > iTunes".
                        > > > I wonder if the guy just uploaded the video using
                        > copyrighted music,
                        > > > but Youtube discovered the song and added the pay
                        > link.
                        > > > Does this fix the problem of "copyrighted
                        > music"?
                        > > > People can use commercial music and upload it to
                        > youtube, and they
                        > > > just add a link for purchase?
                        > > >
                        > > > Jay
                        > >
                        > > Dear god I hope not...
                        > >
                        > > Violating copyright law shouldn't be as easy as
                        > adding a 'buy it here'
                        > > link.
                        > >
                        > > Also, what is the "problem" of copyrighted
                        > music? All of the music I
                        > > create is copyrighted (by me) and I release almost all
                        > of it under a
                        > > Creative Commons license which allows people to use it
                        > in various ways.
                        > >
                        > > Respect to artists, yo...
                        > >
                        > > Pete

                      • schlomo rabinowitz
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                          I agree; I think some viewers will click and purchase.
                          I also predict that videos on the youtubes will be obscured with dozens of
                          little text boxes. All of them linking/selling/contextualizing the video to
                          death so that the video is just the delivery mechanism for these little
                          boxes of commerce and comments.

                          I'm only kinda kidding. But I do kinda believe it.

                          Schlomo Rabinowitz
                          http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                          http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                          AIM:schlomochat

                        • sull
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                            In other words, video is the new webpage.

                            On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM, schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...>wrote:

                            > I agree; I think some viewers will click and purchase.
                            > I also predict that videos on the youtubes will be obscured with dozens of
                            > little text boxes. All of them linking/selling/contextualizing the video to
                            > death so that the video is just the delivery mechanism for these little
                            > boxes of commerce and comments.
                            >
                            > I'm only kinda kidding. But I do kinda believe it.
                            >

                            > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                            > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                            > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                            > AIM:schlomochat

                          • schlomo rabinowitz
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                              Well that just depressed me.

                              On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM, sull <sulleleven@...> wrote:

                              > In other words, video is the new webpage.
                              >
                              > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM, schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...<schlomo%40gmail.com>
                              > >wrote:
                              >

                              > > I agree; I think some viewers will click and purchase.
                              > > I also predict that videos on the youtubes will be obscured with dozens
                              > of
                              > > little text boxes. All of them linking/selling/contextualizing the video
                              > > death so that the video is just the delivery mechanism for these little
                              > > boxes of commerce and comments.
                              > >
                              > > I'm only kinda kidding. But I do kinda believe it.
                              > >

                              > > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                              > > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                              > > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                              > > AIM:schlomochat

                            • Adriana Kaegi
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                                that is the greatest thing i heard today
                                "video is the next webpage"!
                                yehhhhhh that makes me smile!

                                > > In other words, video is the new webpage.
                                > >
                                > > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM, schlomo rabinowitz
                                > <schlomo@...<schlomo%40gmail.com>
                                > > >wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > I agree; I think some viewers will click and
                                > purchase.
                                > > > I also predict that videos on the youtubes will
                                > be obscured with dozens
                                > > of
                                > > > little text boxes. All of them
                                > linking/selling/contextualizing the video
                                > > > death so that the video is just the delivery
                                > mechanism for these little
                                > > > boxes of commerce and comments.
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm only kinda kidding. But I do kinda
                                > believe it.
                                > > >

                                > > > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                                > > > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                                > > > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                                > > > AIM:schlomochat

                              • schlomo rabinowitz
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                                  Just for conversations sake, what do you like about "video is the new
                                  webpage"?
                                  Sure, we already have "banner ads" on videos, what other webpagey thing
                                  would you be excited about on your videos?

                                  I really hope New Cinema will not want to be Old Webpage.

                                  On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Adriana Kaegi <a_kaegi@...> wrote:

                                  > that is the greatest thing i heard today
                                  > "video is the next webpage"!
                                  > yehhhhhh that makes me smile!
                                  >
                                  > --- On Wed, 11/12/08, schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...<schlomo%40gmail.com>>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > From: schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@... <schlomo%40gmail.com>>
                                  > > Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Buy this song
                                  > > To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > > Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 3:45 PM
                                  >
                                  > > Well that just depressed me.
                                  > >
                                  > > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                                  > > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                                  > > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                                  > > AIM:schlomochat
                                  > >

                                  > > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM, sull
                                  > > <sulleleven@... <sulleleven%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > In other words, video is the new webpage.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM, schlomo rabinowitz
                                  > > <schlomo@... <schlomo%40gmail.com><schlomo%40gmail.com>

                                  > > purchase.
                                  > > be obscured with dozens
                                  > > > of
                                  > > linking/selling/contextualizing the video
                                  > > mechanism for these little

                                  > > believe it.

                                • Rupert
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                                    Just like making every letter and image clickable does not mean every
                                    webpage is now a useless mess of adverts, so making every pixel in a
                                    video clickable will not mean that videos become a useless mess of
                                    adverts.

                                    It creates the possibility for us to create endlessly networked
                                    videos without using text, where moving people and things and parts
                                    of the frame will be clickable in just the same way that words and
                                    graphics are.

                                    Web pages have moved from "CLICK HERE" blue underlined links to quiet
                                    intuitive links - words that only highlight when you roll the mouse
                                    over them and the coolness of the New York Times site where you can
                                    double click any word on the page to get a definition or history.

                                    In the same way, hypervideo will soon move away from having visible
                                    overlays to tell you that you can "Click here" - you'll be able to
                                    tell what you can click by rolling your mouse over a person or a
                                    thing. But we're just at the beginning, so there'll be some mess to
                                    begin with.

                                    When it's mature though, we won't be able to believe that we ever
                                    watched inert TV and videos.

                                    Rupert
                                    http://twittervlog.tv

                                    wrote:

                                    > that is the greatest thing i heard today
                                    > "video is the next webpage"!
                                    > yehhhhhh that makes me smile!
                                    >
                                    > --- On Wed, 11/12/08, schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...<schlomo
                                    %40gmail.com>>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > From: schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@... <schlomo%40gmail.com>>
                                    > > Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Buy this song
                                    > > To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 3:45 PM
                                    >
                                    > > Well that just depressed me.
                                    > >
                                    > > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                                    > > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                                    > > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                                    > > AIM:schlomochat
                                    > >

                                    > > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM, sull
                                    > > <sulleleven@... <sulleleven%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > In other words, video is the new webpage.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM, schlomo rabinowitz
                                    > > <schlomo@... <schlomo%40gmail.com><schlomo%40gmail.com>

                                    > > purchase.
                                    > > be obscured with dozens
                                    > > > of
                                    > > linking/selling/contextualizing the video
                                    > > mechanism for these little

                                    > > believe it.

                                  • Adriana Kaegi
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                                      What i like about video being the new webpage is that with a good video, you can get your message across without having to read, Nobody likes to read text on the screen. Also, I like the subliminal advertising via product placement in video content. If it is an obvious advertisement it can have hyperlinks = e-commerce solutions with an in the moment buying experience. How cool- to be able to get what you want when you want it. INSTANT gratification!
                                      I worked on a demo like that years ago, so i am happy that we are getting
                                      closer.
                                      I also do not like static pages, video can be interactive and viral it is much cooler then any static page and banners.. that is so old school.
                                      Hope that helps you understand my excitement. Do you agree?

                                      Adriana Kaegi
                                      http://dearaddy.com

                                      > Just for conversations sake, what do you like about
                                      > "video is the new
                                      > webpage"?
                                      > Sure, we already have "banner ads" on videos,
                                      > what other webpagey thing
                                      > would you be excited about on your videos?
                                      >
                                      > I really hope New Cinema will not want to be Old Webpage.
                                      >

                                      > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                                      > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                                      > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                                      > AIM:schlomochat
                                      >

                                      > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Adriana Kaegi
                                      > <a_kaegi@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > that is the greatest thing i heard today
                                      > > "video is the next webpage"!
                                      > > yehhhhhh that makes me smile!
                                      > >
                                      > > --- On Wed, 11/12/08, schlomo rabinowitz
                                      > <schlomo@...<schlomo%40gmail.com>>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > From: schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...
                                      > <schlomo%40gmail.com>>
                                      > > > Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Buy this song
                                      > > > To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
                                      > <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      > > > Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 3:45 PM
                                      > >
                                      > > > Well that just depressed me.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                                      > > > http://schlomo.tv - finally moving to wordpress
                                      > > > http://hatfactory.net - relaxed coworking
                                      > > > AIM:schlomochat
                                      > > >

                                      > > > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM, sull
                                      > > > <sulleleven@...

                                      > rabinowitz
                                      > > > <schlomo@...
                                      > <schlomo%40gmail.com><schlomo%40gmail.com>

                                      > click and
                                      > > > purchase.
                                      > youtubes will
                                      > > > be obscured with dozens
                                      > > > linking/selling/contextualizing the video
                                      > delivery
                                      > > > mechanism for these little

                                      > kinda
                                      > > > believe it.

                                      > wordpress
                                      > coworking

                                      > removed]

                                      > removed]

                                    • Ron Watson
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                                        Very good article about reading v watching...
                                        http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20081110_america_the_illiterate/
                                        Ron Watson
                                        http://k9disc.blip.tv
                                        http://k9disc.com