Re: [videoblogging] What to charge for camera and video editing

  • David Terranova
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
      yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
      something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
      will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.

      Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
      logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in London is
      £400 per day.

      Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
      my costs on.

      --

      David Terranova
      /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:

      > Hello everyone!
      > What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
      > http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
      >
      > A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
      > video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about 3-4
      > hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
      > editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days since
      > I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each event to
      > later compile the video to a soundtrack.
      >
      > Any comments are highly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks!!!
      > Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

    • Brian Richardson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        Pros in the Atlanta area charge anywhere from $75-200 per hour,
        depending on their equipment and experience. I'm on the lower-end of
        that scale :)

        On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM, David Terranova
        <david@...> wrote:
        > In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
        > yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
        > something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
        > will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.
        >
        > Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
        > logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in London is
        > £400 per day.
        >
        > Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
        > my costs on.
        >
        > --
        >
        > David Terranova
        > /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:
        >
        >> Hello everyone!
        >> What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
        >> http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
        >>
        >> A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
        >> video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about 3-4
        >> hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
        >> editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days since
        >> I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each event to
        >> later compile the video to a soundtrack.
        >>
        >> Any comments are highly appreciated.
        >>
        >> Thanks!!!
        >> Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

        ================
        Brian Richardson
        - http://siliconchef.com
        - http://dragoncontv.com
        - http://whatthecast.com
        - http://www.3chip.com
      • Ben Halverson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          I would take the total amount of money you want to make for taping and
          divide by the number of hours you will be working
          Total $/hrs wrk = pay per hour

          You might also want to include gas used at the rate of .37 cents per
          mile

          You could do the same for editing

          Ben Halverson
          Sent from my iPhone

        • l.deniel@modele11.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            In France for editing on FCP is 350�/day ( tariff union)

            Loiez

            Le 3 nov. 08 � 16:20, Brian Richardson a �crit :

            > Pros in the Atlanta area charge anywhere from $75-200 per hour,
            > depending on their equipment and experience. I'm on the lower-end of
            > that scale :)
            >
            > On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM, David Terranova
            > <david@...> wrote:
            > > In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
            > > yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
            > > something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
            > > will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.
            > >
            > > Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
            > > logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in
            > London is
            > > �400 per day.
            > >
            > > Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
            > > my costs on.
            > >
            > > --
            > >
            > > David Terranova
            > > /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:
            > >
            > >> Hello everyone!
            > >> What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
            > >> http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
            > >>
            > >> A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
            > >> video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about
            > 3-4
            > >> hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
            > >> editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days
            > since
            > >> I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each
            > event to
            > >> later compile the video to a soundtrack.
            > >>
            > >> Any comments are highly appreciated.
            > >>
            > >> Thanks!!!
            > >> Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

            > ================
            > Brian Richardson
            > - http://siliconchef.com
            > - http://dragoncontv.com
            > - http://whatthecast.com
            > - http://www.3chip.com

            Loiez Deniel
            http://www.loiez.org
            l.deniel@...
            ! new cell phone : +33 06 08 31 96 98
            Skype : ultimcodex
            M'appeler gratuitement de votre PC sur mon portable
            http://call.mylivio.com/loiez

          • Renat Zarbailov
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
              Thanks everyone who had something to say on this.
              I have decided that it would be fair to charge $600 (shoot and
              edit)for 2-minute videos like below with a week turnaround.

              Renat

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Renat Zarbailov" <innomind@...>