What to charge for camera and video editing

  • Renat Zarbailov
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hello everyone!
      What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
      http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640

      A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
      video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about 3-4
      hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
      editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days since
      I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each event to
      later compile the video to a soundtrack.

      Any comments are highly appreciated.

      Thanks!!!
      Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
    • Irina
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
        i hear $1 a minute

        --
        http://geekentertainment.tv

      • David Terranova
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
          In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
          yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
          something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
          will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.

          Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
          logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in London is
          £400 per day.

          Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
          my costs on.

          --

          David Terranova
          /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:

          > Hello everyone!
          > What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
          > http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
          >
          > A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
          > video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about 3-4
          > hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
          > editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days since
          > I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each event to
          > later compile the video to a soundtrack.
          >
          > Any comments are highly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!!!
          > Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

        • Brian Richardson
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            Pros in the Atlanta area charge anywhere from $75-200 per hour,
            depending on their equipment and experience. I'm on the lower-end of
            that scale :)

            On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM, David Terranova
            <david@...> wrote:
            > In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
            > yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
            > something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
            > will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.
            >
            > Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
            > logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in London is
            > £400 per day.
            >
            > Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
            > my costs on.
            >
            > --
            >
            > David Terranova
            > /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:
            >
            >> Hello everyone!
            >> What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
            >> http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
            >>
            >> A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
            >> video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about 3-4
            >> hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
            >> editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days since
            >> I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each event to
            >> later compile the video to a soundtrack.
            >>
            >> Any comments are highly appreciated.
            >>
            >> Thanks!!!
            >> Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

            ================
            Brian Richardson
            - http://siliconchef.com
            - http://dragoncontv.com
            - http://whatthecast.com
            - http://www.3chip.com
          • Ben Halverson
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
              I would take the total amount of money you want to make for taping and
              divide by the number of hours you will be working
              Total $/hrs wrk = pay per hour

              You might also want to include gas used at the rate of .37 cents per
              mile

              You could do the same for editing

              Ben Halverson
              Sent from my iPhone

            • l.deniel@modele11.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
                In France for editing on FCP is 350�/day ( tariff union)

                Loiez

                Le 3 nov. 08 � 16:20, Brian Richardson a �crit :

                > Pros in the Atlanta area charge anywhere from $75-200 per hour,
                > depending on their equipment and experience. I'm on the lower-end of
                > that scale :)
                >
                > On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM, David Terranova
                > <david@...> wrote:
                > > In my experience of doing similar work, I would recommend setting
                > > yourself a day rate. Over time your videos might develop into
                > > something else a bit more elaborate than your first episode, which
                > > will be easier for you and your client to manage costs.
                > >
                > > Personally I don't bother charging for the camera work, but for
                > > logging and editing I would say that an average rate here in
                > London is
                > > �400 per day.
                > >
                > > Lots of other factors in this, but that's the basic idea that I base
                > > my costs on.
                > >
                > > --
                > >
                > > David Terranova
                > > /davidterranova.com/ Quoting Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...>:
                > >
                > >> Hello everyone!
                > >> What is a fair rate to charge for 2-minute videos like below?
                > >> http://vimeo.com/1779640?pg=embed&sec=1779640
                > >>
                > >> A company wants me to be their permanent videographer producing a
                > >> video from each gig they perform at. On average it takes me about
                > 3-4
                > >> hours of shooting at nightclubs using my Merlin Steadicam. And
                > >> editing, which I hate btw... :), takes me at least two full days
                > since
                > >> I usually accumulate about and hour of short shots from each
                > event to
                > >> later compile the video to a soundtrack.
                > >>
                > >> Any comments are highly appreciated.
                > >>
                > >> Thanks!!!
                > >> Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

                > ================
                > Brian Richardson
                > - http://siliconchef.com
                > - http://dragoncontv.com
                > - http://whatthecast.com
                > - http://www.3chip.com

                Loiez Deniel
                http://www.loiez.org
                l.deniel@...
                ! new cell phone : +33 06 08 31 96 98
                Skype : ultimcodex
                M'appeler gratuitement de votre PC sur mon portable
                http://call.mylivio.com/loiez

              • Renat Zarbailov
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
                  Thanks everyone who had something to say on this.
                  I have decided that it would be fair to charge $600 (shoot and
                  edit)for 2-minute videos like below with a week turnaround.

                  Renat

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Renat Zarbailov" <innomind@...>