Re: Best Low-Light HD camcorder

  • Renat Zarbailov
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008
      Of course, if it was within budget/size Sony EX1 would definitely be
      the winner in low light. It has 1/2" chips on it and blows HVX200 out
      the water in image quality/low light.

      So if one were to choose between Canon HV20 and HV30, albeit
      tape-based, what does HV30 fix over HV20? I also wonder if anyone in
      the videoblogging community using the new Canon HF11 (24MBPS AVCHD),
      which comes with its own 32GB solid-state hard drive plus ability to
      use SDHC cards. I would trade my Sony SR7 to this one any day.

      As far as editing AVCHD; I have been editing in this format using
      Premiere Pro CS3 with MainConcept HD 1.3 plugin with good results on a
      self-built Windows XP X64 rig that has Intel Quad Q6600 chip with 4GB
      RAM. The very upcoming Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 will allow editing AVCHD
      natively (and promises no-render approach to effects), although I
      think they will still use Mainconcept under the hood since Adobe
      outsources its media encoder to them. One of the best features CS4
      will offer is ability to encode out to any web format without
      interuption of editing abilities, - background encoding. Currently
      with my setup, simple AVCHD cutting and playback in the timeline is
      smooth even without Matrox R2 card, that presumably improves AVCHD
      editing dramatically. I just can't justify the $1k price of this card
      though... :) As soon as I apply effects or even stretch clip's time I
      need to render to play the results.

      Thanks everyone for the input,

      Renat

      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553295-REG/Focus_Enhancements_ASYF_1314_01LF_FS_4_HD_Portable_DTE.html#specifications

      > Brook

    • Steve Eisenberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008
        Has anyone tied using Avid Media Composer for editing HD or AVCHD footage?
        The program supports multi-threaded processors for rendering.