Re: [videoblogging] Screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hi everyone:

      RICHARD wrote:

      > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?

      For screencasts or to alternate between screen and webcam, I just simply
      use ManyCam. ManyCam is software with it's own WDM-compatible driver
      which is recognized by most any video capturing software (Included and
      other than it's own).

      For just a still screen capture however, I just simply hit ALT+PRINT
      SCREEN and use Irvanview to do any neccessary editing (This especially
      comes in handy when capturing an active window).

      > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
      > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
      > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
      > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
      > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
      > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
      > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and record
      > the screen.

      Why can't you just use Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder and
      set the bitrate to (Sake for the sake of argument) 700 Kbps.? Seems to
      me that would be a whole lot simpler than what you're trying to do as
      outlined above.

      Plus keep this in mind. Windows Media Player already comes pre-packaged
      with all versions of Windows. If your client doesn't support Macs on
      their networks, WHY make 'em install Quicktime on their computers and/or
      install a server that will stream Quicktime files when Windows Media A).
      Will do the job just the same (Despite it being an MS product) and B).
      Is all your client's network can apparently support?

      Is there something I'm missing here?

      > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.

      Windows Movie Maker can edit videos too, ya know.

      Cheers :D

      --
      Pat Cook
      Denver, Colorado
      PODCASTS -
      AS MY WORLD TURNS - Blogger Page - http://asmyworldturnstv.blogspot.com/
      BlogTV Page - http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/20453
      AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com
      PAT'S REAL DEAL VIDEO BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.livejournal.com/
      PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS VIDEOCAST -
      http://patshealthmedicalwondersvideocast.blogspot.com/
      YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/amwowttv/
      THE PAT COOK SHOW - http://www.livevideo.com/thepcshow
      THE PAT COOK SHOW (Video Podcast) - Blogger Page -
      http://thepctvshow.blogspot.com/ - BlogTV Page -
      http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/19924
      **COMING SOON** - PAT'S CLASSIC TV COMMERCIALS VIDEO PODCAST -
      http://patsclassictvcommercials-ipod.blogspot.com/ (iPod),
      http://patsclassictvcommercials-flash.blogspot.com/ (Flash)
    • RICHARD
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
        Thanks for all of your suggestions for screen recording software for Windows
        XP.

        FYI, the problem is not with recording PowerPoint presentations, but with
        recording the small print on web page demonstrations. Since my client
        records these events in DV, the small web text is unreadable.

        I can screen record clearly on my Mac with iShowU, but I need a solution for
        Windows XP. They don¹t support Macs on their network where some of the
        tutorials are done.

        I¹m going to try the less expensive/free solutions first and see if they are
        satisfactory.

        The free jing is very interesting.

        -Richard

      • Milt Lee
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
          I haven't been following this,but I have had a lot of success with
          Snagit. It costs about $ 40.00 - I believe. I can't remember how much
          I paid for it, but it does so much. I can record the entire screen,
          or any portion of it. I can record individual screen shots too, and
          then add explanatory text later. I love the image manipulation
          features. It really works for me.

          later,
          Milt