Re: [videoblogging] Screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista

  • Roxanne Darling
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
      Shane just told me about an open source app, Jing. It is/was limited to 10
      mins but works on Mac and PC.
      http://www.jingproject.com/

      Aloha,

      Roxanne

      On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@...> wrote:

      > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
      > their 30 day trial.
      >
      > Till Later,
      >
      > John Esberg
      > JohnEsberg.com

      Roxanne Darling
      Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more
      http://reef.beachwalks.tv
      808-384-5554
      Video --> http://www.beachwalks.tv
      Company -- > http://www.barefeetstudios.com
      Twitter--> http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling

    • John Esberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
        You can also try CamStudio. It wasn't anywhere as clean as Camstasia in its operation.

        There's other cheap/free stuff you find at CNET.com under the downloads section. Use the keyword "screencapture" when you go looking.

        Camtasia is also really good for all the extra features. The tutorials are pretty handy too.

        Does anyone else on the forum use Camtasia?

        Till Later,

        John Esberg
        JohnEsberg.com

        On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@yahoo. com> wrote:

        > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
        > their 30 day trial.
        >
        > Till Later,
        >
        > John Esberg
        > JohnEsberg.com

      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi everyone:

          RICHARD wrote:

          > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?

          For screencasts or to alternate between screen and webcam, I just simply
          use ManyCam. ManyCam is software with it's own WDM-compatible driver
          which is recognized by most any video capturing software (Included and
          other than it's own).

          For just a still screen capture however, I just simply hit ALT+PRINT
          SCREEN and use Irvanview to do any neccessary editing (This especially
          comes in handy when capturing an active window).

          > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
          > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
          > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
          > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
          > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
          > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
          > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and record
          > the screen.

          Why can't you just use Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder and
          set the bitrate to (Sake for the sake of argument) 700 Kbps.? Seems to
          me that would be a whole lot simpler than what you're trying to do as
          outlined above.

          Plus keep this in mind. Windows Media Player already comes pre-packaged
          with all versions of Windows. If your client doesn't support Macs on
          their networks, WHY make 'em install Quicktime on their computers and/or
          install a server that will stream Quicktime files when Windows Media A).
          Will do the job just the same (Despite it being an MS product) and B).
          Is all your client's network can apparently support?

          Is there something I'm missing here?

          > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.

          Windows Movie Maker can edit videos too, ya know.

          Cheers :D

          --
          Pat Cook
          Denver, Colorado
          PODCASTS -
          AS MY WORLD TURNS - Blogger Page - http://asmyworldturnstv.blogspot.com/
          BlogTV Page - http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/20453
          AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com
          PAT'S REAL DEAL VIDEO BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.livejournal.com/
          PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS VIDEOCAST -
          http://patshealthmedicalwondersvideocast.blogspot.com/
          YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/amwowttv/
          THE PAT COOK SHOW - http://www.livevideo.com/thepcshow
          THE PAT COOK SHOW (Video Podcast) - Blogger Page -
          http://thepctvshow.blogspot.com/ - BlogTV Page -
          http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/19924
          **COMING SOON** - PAT'S CLASSIC TV COMMERCIALS VIDEO PODCAST -
          http://patsclassictvcommercials-ipod.blogspot.com/ (iPod),
          http://patsclassictvcommercials-flash.blogspot.com/ (Flash)
        • RICHARD
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
            Thanks for all of your suggestions for screen recording software for Windows
            XP.

            FYI, the problem is not with recording PowerPoint presentations, but with
            recording the small print on web page demonstrations. Since my client
            records these events in DV, the small web text is unreadable.

            I can screen record clearly on my Mac with iShowU, but I need a solution for
            Windows XP. They don¹t support Macs on their network where some of the
            tutorials are done.

            I¹m going to try the less expensive/free solutions first and see if they are
            satisfactory.

            The free jing is very interesting.

            -Richard

          • Milt Lee
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
              I haven't been following this,but I have had a lot of success with
              Snagit. It costs about $ 40.00 - I believe. I can't remember how much
              I paid for it, but it does so much. I can record the entire screen,
              or any portion of it. I can record individual screen shots too, and
              then add explanatory text later. I love the image manipulation
              features. It really works for me.

              later,
              Milt