Re: [videoblogging] Screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista

  • John Esberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
      I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on their 30 day trial.

      Till Later,

      John Esberg
      JohnEsberg.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
        Shane just told me about an open source app, Jing. It is/was limited to 10
        mins but works on Mac and PC.
        http://www.jingproject.com/

        Aloha,

        Roxanne

        On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@...> wrote:

        > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
        > their 30 day trial.
        >
        > Till Later,
        >
        > John Esberg
        > JohnEsberg.com

        Roxanne Darling
        Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more
        http://reef.beachwalks.tv
        808-384-5554
        Video --> http://www.beachwalks.tv
        Company -- > http://www.barefeetstudios.com
        Twitter--> http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling

      • John Esberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
          You can also try CamStudio. It wasn't anywhere as clean as Camstasia in its operation.

          There's other cheap/free stuff you find at CNET.com under the downloads section. Use the keyword "screencapture" when you go looking.

          Camtasia is also really good for all the extra features. The tutorials are pretty handy too.

          Does anyone else on the forum use Camtasia?

          Till Later,

          John Esberg
          JohnEsberg.com

          On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@yahoo. com> wrote:

          > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
          > their 30 day trial.
          >
          > Till Later,
          >
          > John Esberg
          > JohnEsberg.com

        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
            Hi everyone:

            RICHARD wrote:

            > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?

            For screencasts or to alternate between screen and webcam, I just simply
            use ManyCam. ManyCam is software with it's own WDM-compatible driver
            which is recognized by most any video capturing software (Included and
            other than it's own).

            For just a still screen capture however, I just simply hit ALT+PRINT
            SCREEN and use Irvanview to do any neccessary editing (This especially
            comes in handy when capturing an active window).

            > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
            > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
            > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
            > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
            > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
            > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
            > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and record
            > the screen.

            Why can't you just use Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder and
            set the bitrate to (Sake for the sake of argument) 700 Kbps.? Seems to
            me that would be a whole lot simpler than what you're trying to do as
            outlined above.

            Plus keep this in mind. Windows Media Player already comes pre-packaged
            with all versions of Windows. If your client doesn't support Macs on
            their networks, WHY make 'em install Quicktime on their computers and/or
            install a server that will stream Quicktime files when Windows Media A).
            Will do the job just the same (Despite it being an MS product) and B).
            Is all your client's network can apparently support?

            Is there something I'm missing here?

            > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.

            Windows Movie Maker can edit videos too, ya know.

            Cheers :D

            --
            Pat Cook
            Denver, Colorado
            PODCASTS -
            AS MY WORLD TURNS - Blogger Page - http://asmyworldturnstv.blogspot.com/
            BlogTV Page - http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/20453
            AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com
            PAT'S REAL DEAL VIDEO BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.livejournal.com/
            PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS VIDEOCAST -
            http://patshealthmedicalwondersvideocast.blogspot.com/
            YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/amwowttv/
            THE PAT COOK SHOW - http://www.livevideo.com/thepcshow
            THE PAT COOK SHOW (Video Podcast) - Blogger Page -
            http://thepctvshow.blogspot.com/ - BlogTV Page -
            http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/19924
            **COMING SOON** - PAT'S CLASSIC TV COMMERCIALS VIDEO PODCAST -
            http://patsclassictvcommercials-ipod.blogspot.com/ (iPod),
            http://patsclassictvcommercials-flash.blogspot.com/ (Flash)
          • RICHARD
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
              Thanks for all of your suggestions for screen recording software for Windows
              XP.

              FYI, the problem is not with recording PowerPoint presentations, but with
              recording the small print on web page demonstrations. Since my client
              records these events in DV, the small web text is unreadable.

              I can screen record clearly on my Mac with iShowU, but I need a solution for
              Windows XP. They don¹t support Macs on their network where some of the
              tutorials are done.

              I¹m going to try the less expensive/free solutions first and see if they are
              satisfactory.

              The free jing is very interesting.

              -Richard

            • Milt Lee
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
                I haven't been following this,but I have had a lot of success with
                Snagit. It costs about $ 40.00 - I believe. I can't remember how much
                I paid for it, but it does so much. I can record the entire screen,
                or any portion of it. I can record individual screen shots too, and
                then add explanatory text later. I love the image manipulation
                features. It really works for me.

                later,
                Milt