Re: [videoblogging] Screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista

  • Richard (Show) Hall
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
      Richard,

      I use camtasia, but it's pretty pricey.

      I've also used the freeware camstudio, (camstudio.org) which works pretty
      well too.

      ... Richard

      On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:27 AM, RICHARD <rt@...> wrote:

      > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?
      >
      > For the Mac, I use iShowU, which is cheap and works really well.
      >
      > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
      > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
      > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
      > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
      > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
      > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
      > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and
      > record
      > the screen.
      >
      > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Richard

      Richard (Show) Hall
      http://richardshow.org

    • Tony Armstrong
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Richard:

        I Use HyperCam2. You'll have to use Quicktime for Windows to convert
        the .AVI files to a more Mac friendly codec though. I edit the files
        on FC Pro (HD timeline) and they look great. Remember to set the
        field dominance to none.

        Tony
      • missingintellect
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
          It's been some time since I've done any screen recording software, but
          if you can live without all the whiz bang features of CamTasia (and
          the high price) and just need screen recording, CamStudio is a good
          choice. If nothing else, try it out, and if it doesn't work for your
          needs, it's not like you've lost anything. Can't say how well it runs
          on Vista, though, I've only used it on XP.

          Steve Riekeberg
          Host, Geek Cred
          <http://www.geekcred.net>

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD <rt@...> wrote:

          > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?
          >
          > For the Mac, I use iShowU, which is cheap and works really well.
          >
          > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
          > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
          > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
          > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
          > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I
          captured
          > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
          > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network
          and record
          > the screen.
          >
          > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Richard

        • John Esberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
            I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on their 30 day trial.

            Till Later,

            John Esberg
            JohnEsberg.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
              Shane just told me about an open source app, Jing. It is/was limited to 10
              mins but works on Mac and PC.
              http://www.jingproject.com/

              Aloha,

              Roxanne

              On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@...> wrote:

              > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
              > their 30 day trial.
              >
              > Till Later,
              >
              > John Esberg
              > JohnEsberg.com

              Roxanne Darling
              Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more
              http://reef.beachwalks.tv
              808-384-5554
              Video --> http://www.beachwalks.tv
              Company -- > http://www.barefeetstudios.com
              Twitter--> http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling

            • John Esberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                You can also try CamStudio. It wasn't anywhere as clean as Camstasia in its operation.

                There's other cheap/free stuff you find at CNET.com under the downloads section. Use the keyword "screencapture" when you go looking.

                Camtasia is also really good for all the extra features. The tutorials are pretty handy too.

                Does anyone else on the forum use Camtasia?

                Till Later,

                John Esberg
                JohnEsberg.com

                On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@yahoo. com> wrote:

                > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
                > their 30 day trial.
                >
                > Till Later,
                >
                > John Esberg
                > JohnEsberg.com

              • Pat Cook
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Hi everyone:

                  RICHARD wrote:

                  > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?

                  For screencasts or to alternate between screen and webcam, I just simply
                  use ManyCam. ManyCam is software with it's own WDM-compatible driver
                  which is recognized by most any video capturing software (Included and
                  other than it's own).

                  For just a still screen capture however, I just simply hit ALT+PRINT
                  SCREEN and use Irvanview to do any neccessary editing (This especially
                  comes in handy when capturing an active window).

                  > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
                  > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
                  > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
                  > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
                  > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
                  > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
                  > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and record
                  > the screen.

                  Why can't you just use Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder and
                  set the bitrate to (Sake for the sake of argument) 700 Kbps.? Seems to
                  me that would be a whole lot simpler than what you're trying to do as
                  outlined above.

                  Plus keep this in mind. Windows Media Player already comes pre-packaged
                  with all versions of Windows. If your client doesn't support Macs on
                  their networks, WHY make 'em install Quicktime on their computers and/or
                  install a server that will stream Quicktime files when Windows Media A).
                  Will do the job just the same (Despite it being an MS product) and B).
                  Is all your client's network can apparently support?

                  Is there something I'm missing here?

                  > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.

                  Windows Movie Maker can edit videos too, ya know.

                  Cheers :D

                  --
                  Pat Cook
                  Denver, Colorado
                  PODCASTS -
                  AS MY WORLD TURNS - Blogger Page - http://asmyworldturnstv.blogspot.com/
                  BlogTV Page - http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/20453
                  AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com
                  PAT'S REAL DEAL VIDEO BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.livejournal.com/
                  PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS VIDEOCAST -
                  http://patshealthmedicalwondersvideocast.blogspot.com/
                  YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/amwowttv/
                  THE PAT COOK SHOW - http://www.livevideo.com/thepcshow
                  THE PAT COOK SHOW (Video Podcast) - Blogger Page -
                  http://thepctvshow.blogspot.com/ - BlogTV Page -
                  http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/19924
                  **COMING SOON** - PAT'S CLASSIC TV COMMERCIALS VIDEO PODCAST -
                  http://patsclassictvcommercials-ipod.blogspot.com/ (iPod),
                  http://patsclassictvcommercials-flash.blogspot.com/ (Flash)
                • RICHARD
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
                    Thanks for all of your suggestions for screen recording software for Windows
                    XP.

                    FYI, the problem is not with recording PowerPoint presentations, but with
                    recording the small print on web page demonstrations. Since my client
                    records these events in DV, the small web text is unreadable.

                    I can screen record clearly on my Mac with iShowU, but I need a solution for
                    Windows XP. They don¹t support Macs on their network where some of the
                    tutorials are done.

                    I¹m going to try the less expensive/free solutions first and see if they are
                    satisfactory.

                    The free jing is very interesting.

                    -Richard

                  • Milt Lee
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
                      I haven't been following this,but I have had a lot of success with
                      Snagit. It costs about $ 40.00 - I believe. I can't remember how much
                      I paid for it, but it does so much. I can record the entire screen,
                      or any portion of it. I can record individual screen shots too, and
                      then add explanatory text later. I love the image manipulation
                      features. It really works for me.

                      later,
                      Milt