Screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista

  • RICHARD
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
      Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?

      For the Mac, I use iShowU, which is cheap and works really well.

      I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
      equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
      their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
      tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
      switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
      from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
      screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and record
      the screen.

      The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.

      Thanks,

      Richard

    • Richard (Show) Hall
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
        Richard,

        I use camtasia, but it's pretty pricey.

        I've also used the freeware camstudio, (camstudio.org) which works pretty
        well too.

        ... Richard

        On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:27 AM, RICHARD <rt@...> wrote:

        > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?
        >
        > For the Mac, I use iShowU, which is cheap and works really well.
        >
        > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
        > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
        > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
        > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
        > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
        > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
        > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and
        > record
        > the screen.
        >
        > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Richard

        Richard (Show) Hall
        http://richardshow.org

      • Tony Armstrong
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi Richard:

          I Use HyperCam2. You'll have to use Quicktime for Windows to convert
          the .AVI files to a more Mac friendly codec though. I edit the files
          on FC Pro (HD timeline) and they look great. Remember to set the
          field dominance to none.

          Tony
        • missingintellect
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
            It's been some time since I've done any screen recording software, but
            if you can live without all the whiz bang features of CamTasia (and
            the high price) and just need screen recording, CamStudio is a good
            choice. If nothing else, try it out, and if it doesn't work for your
            needs, it's not like you've lost anything. Can't say how well it runs
            on Vista, though, I've only used it on XP.

            Steve Riekeberg
            Host, Geek Cred
            <http://www.geekcred.net>

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD <rt@...> wrote:

            > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?
            >
            > For the Mac, I use iShowU, which is cheap and works really well.
            >
            > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
            > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
            > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
            > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
            > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I
            captured
            > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
            > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network
            and record
            > the screen.
            >
            > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Richard

          • John Esberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
              I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on their 30 day trial.

              Till Later,

              John Esberg
              JohnEsberg.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                Shane just told me about an open source app, Jing. It is/was limited to 10
                mins but works on Mac and PC.
                http://www.jingproject.com/

                Aloha,

                Roxanne

                On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@...> wrote:

                > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
                > their 30 day trial.
                >
                > Till Later,
                >
                > John Esberg
                > JohnEsberg.com

                Roxanne Darling
                Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more
                http://reef.beachwalks.tv
                808-384-5554
                Video --> http://www.beachwalks.tv
                Company -- > http://www.barefeetstudios.com
                Twitter--> http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling

              • John Esberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                  You can also try CamStudio. It wasn't anywhere as clean as Camstasia in its operation.

                  There's other cheap/free stuff you find at CNET.com under the downloads section. Use the keyword "screencapture" when you go looking.

                  Camtasia is also really good for all the extra features. The tutorials are pretty handy too.

                  Does anyone else on the forum use Camtasia?

                  Till Later,

                  John Esberg
                  JohnEsberg.com

                  On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM, John Esberg <dak_esberg@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  > I use Camtasia 5 all the time. It works great for me. Give it a try on
                  > their 30 day trial.
                  >
                  > Till Later,
                  >
                  > John Esberg
                  > JohnEsberg.com

                • Pat Cook
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                    Hi everyone:

                    RICHARD wrote:

                    > Can anybody recommend screen recording software for Windows XP/Vista?

                    For screencasts or to alternate between screen and webcam, I just simply
                    use ManyCam. ManyCam is software with it's own WDM-compatible driver
                    which is recognized by most any video capturing software (Included and
                    other than it's own).

                    For just a still screen capture however, I just simply hit ALT+PRINT
                    SCREEN and use Irvanview to do any neccessary editing (This especially
                    comes in handy when capturing an active window).

                    > I intend to boot into Windows XP on my MacBook Pro and use the Windows
                    > equivalent screen recording software. My client doesn¹t support Macs on
                    > their network and I need to record clear video to show web pages for
                    > tutorials, etc. I¹ve tried using a video camera and the output from a
                    > switcher, but neither is clear enough for my purposes. The video I captured
                    > from iShowU is crystal clear and is exactly what they want. I just need
                    > screen recording software for Windows so I can join their network and record
                    > the screen.

                    Why can't you just use Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder and
                    set the bitrate to (Sake for the sake of argument) 700 Kbps.? Seems to
                    me that would be a whole lot simpler than what you're trying to do as
                    outlined above.

                    Plus keep this in mind. Windows Media Player already comes pre-packaged
                    with all versions of Windows. If your client doesn't support Macs on
                    their networks, WHY make 'em install Quicktime on their computers and/or
                    install a server that will stream Quicktime files when Windows Media A).
                    Will do the job just the same (Despite it being an MS product) and B).
                    Is all your client's network can apparently support?

                    Is there something I'm missing here?

                    > The video will be edited in Final Cut Pro 6.

                    Windows Movie Maker can edit videos too, ya know.

                    Cheers :D

                    --
                    Pat Cook
                    Denver, Colorado
                    PODCASTS -
                    AS MY WORLD TURNS - Blogger Page - http://asmyworldturnstv.blogspot.com/
                    BlogTV Page - http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/20453
                    AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com
                    PAT'S REAL DEAL VIDEO BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.livejournal.com/
                    PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS VIDEOCAST -
                    http://patshealthmedicalwondersvideocast.blogspot.com/
                    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/amwowttv/
                    THE PAT COOK SHOW - http://www.livevideo.com/thepcshow
                    THE PAT COOK SHOW (Video Podcast) - Blogger Page -
                    http://thepctvshow.blogspot.com/ - BlogTV Page -
                    http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/19924
                    **COMING SOON** - PAT'S CLASSIC TV COMMERCIALS VIDEO PODCAST -
                    http://patsclassictvcommercials-ipod.blogspot.com/ (iPod),
                    http://patsclassictvcommercials-flash.blogspot.com/ (Flash)
                  • RICHARD
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
                      Thanks for all of your suggestions for screen recording software for Windows
                      XP.

                      FYI, the problem is not with recording PowerPoint presentations, but with
                      recording the small print on web page demonstrations. Since my client
                      records these events in DV, the small web text is unreadable.

                      I can screen record clearly on my Mac with iShowU, but I need a solution for
                      Windows XP. They don¹t support Macs on their network where some of the
                      tutorials are done.

                      I¹m going to try the less expensive/free solutions first and see if they are
                      satisfactory.

                      The free jing is very interesting.

                      -Richard

                    • Milt Lee
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
                        I haven't been following this,but I have had a lot of success with
                        Snagit. It costs about $ 40.00 - I believe. I can't remember how much
                        I paid for it, but it does so much. I can record the entire screen,
                        or any portion of it. I can record individual screen shots too, and
                        then add explanatory text later. I love the image manipulation
                        features. It really works for me.

                        later,
                        Milt