Re: [videoblogging] Wall Color

  • Ron Watson
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
      OK... I really like the look of the new wall. I'll post some shots
      and some blue screen action soon.

      I have a couple of questions though...

      I'm getting a dark blue aura around all of my talent and props. I
      think it's because I've got a ton of light on the backdrop. What's up
      with that and how can I fix it?

      Does anyone have creative ideas on getting a lot of light on a
      25'x15' stage? We move around a lot in our video...

      Thanks again , Rupert...
      peace,

      Ron Watson
      http://k9disc.blip.tv
      http://k9disc.com
      http://discdogradio.com
      http://pawsitivevybe.com

      On Aug 31, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Ron Watson wrote:

      > Well I went with the Chromakey Blue idea, Rupert, and it looks
      > friggin' great!
      >
      > thanks for the suggestion... I'll be sure to post some video soon.
      >
      > Thanks Rupert!
      >
      > peace,
      > Ron Watson
      > http://k9disc.blip.tv
      > http://k9disc.com
      > http://discdogradio.com
      > http://pawsitivevybe.com
      >
      > On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Rupert wrote:
      >
      > > Astroturf in your studio. How cool is that? I want to get my office
      > > astroturfed.
      > >
      > > Plain bright white is quite a useful colour to paint studio
      > walls, if
      > > they're very smooth and especially because you have highish
      > ceilings.
      > > White backgrounded videos and photos are ubiquitous - people always
      > > seem to respond well to that studio aesthetic.
      > > I got big white and black paper rolls installed in a client's studio
      > > in London and they get a lot of use out of them now.
      > >
      > > On the other hand you could paint them a chroma key blue. Then you
      > > could choose to have a blue background or digitally insert different
      > > backgrounds. I don't know much about the practicality and cost of
      > > that, but you'd find a mass of information on it via Google.
      > >
      > > Rupert
      > > http://twittervlog.tv
      > >
      > > On 29-Aug-08, at 6:48 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
      > >
      > > I'd like some suggestions on the color to paint the wall in our
      > > training studio that we use as a backdrop for our training videos.
      > >
      > > We are getting half of the studio astroturfed and are looking to
      > do s
      > > serious training DVD.
      > >
      > > I've been leaning towards a vibrant, rich blue for the wall colors,
      > > but I'm not sure.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions or other information would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > peace,
      > > ron

    • liza jean
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
        way back when i was working in tv studios chroma key blue had just
        been 'discovered'. nowadays we at dyna-flix use green - usually
        large fabric drops.

        blue is more likely to appear in what you are shooting - eye color,
        blue jeans etc. and cause problems. green does not naturally occur
        on humans.

        backlighting your subjects with a yellow light is likely to reduce
        the 'aura', or at least replace it with a halo. what 'color' light
        are you shooting in? fluorescent is green, halogen is blue,
        incandescent is yellow - if you play around with what color light you
        put where you could eliminate the halo.

        does your software have 'spill supression'?

        as to cheap light, we got two double 8' fluroescent fixtures made
        from porcelain coated steel ( a junkyard find with spare bulbs!) that
        look like something from a Star Wars set. we just stand them up
        against a wall, let them be part of the set. they make all my still
        shots look green, but the video camera white balance can handle them.

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

        > OK... I really like the look of the new wall. I'll post some shots
        > and some blue screen action soon.
        >
        > I have a couple of questions though...
        >
        > I'm getting a dark blue aura around all of my talent and props. I
        > think it's because I've got a ton of light on the backdrop. What's
        up
        > with that and how can I fix it?
        >
        > Does anyone have creative ideas on getting a lot of light on a
        > 25'x15' stage? We move around a lot in our video...
        >
        > Thanks again , Rupert...
        > peace,
        >
        > Ron Watson
        > http://k9disc.blip.tv
        > http://k9disc.com
        > http://discdogradio.com
        > http://pawsitivevybe.com
        >

        > On Aug 31, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
        >
        > > Well I went with the Chromakey Blue idea, Rupert, and it looks
        > > friggin' great!
        > >
        > > thanks for the suggestion... I'll be sure to post some video soon.
        > >
        > > Thanks Rupert!
        > >
        > > peace,
        > > Ron Watson
        > > http://k9disc.blip.tv
        > > http://k9disc.com
        > > http://discdogradio.com
        > > http://pawsitivevybe.com
        > >
        > > On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Rupert wrote:
        > >
        > > > Astroturf in your studio. How cool is that? I want to get my
        office
        > > > astroturfed.
        > > >
        > > > Plain bright white is quite a useful colour to paint studio
        > > walls, if
        > > > they're very smooth and especially because you have highish
        > > ceilings.
        > > > White backgrounded videos and photos are ubiquitous - people
        always
        > > > seem to respond well to that studio aesthetic.
        > > > I got big white and black paper rolls installed in a client's
        studio
        > > > in London and they get a lot of use out of them now.
        > > >
        > > > On the other hand you could paint them a chroma key blue. Then
        you
        > > > could choose to have a blue background or digitally insert
        different
        > > > backgrounds. I don't know much about the practicality and cost
        of
        > > > that, but you'd find a mass of information on it via Google.
        > > >
        > > > Rupert
        > > > http://twittervlog.tv
        > > >
        > > > On 29-Aug-08, at 6:48 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'd like some suggestions on the color to paint the wall in our
        > > > training studio that we use as a backdrop for our training
        videos.

        > > > We are getting half of the studio astroturfed and are looking
        > > do s
        > > > serious training DVD.
        > > >
        > > > I've been leaning towards a vibrant, rich blue for the wall
        colors,
        > > > but I'm not sure.
        > > >
        > > > Any suggestions or other information would be appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > peace,
        > > > ron

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
          I don't know, because it's been a long time since i blue/green
          screened anything, but I would guess that if you've got a ton of
          light on the backdrop then you may be getting some reflected blue
          backlight around your subjects which might be causing the aura.

          I think the chromakey apps are pretty clever in the way they handle
          the edges of subjects, and this reflected blue backlight might be
          confusing them. I think this is the spill-suppression that liza jean
          mentioned. You could either try using a lower intensity light to
          light the backdrop - perhaps a few fluorescent strips to get even-
          ness. or backlight the subject so that the light aura around them is
          tungsten/fluorescent instead of reflected blue. i would imagine that
          this would help the chroma filter to recognise the edges of your
          subject.

          As far as I know, Blue is a better chroma colour to use for
          skintones. But I could be wrong.

          I would guess that there's a ton of information available via Google
          for setting this stuff up well.

          Rupert
          http://twittervlog.tv/