Re: [videoblogging] Flickr & Creative Commons (also video-sharing sites & Creative Commons)

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
      You're right, of course. I was assuming that that was understood.

      If you want to stop someone, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is
      a fairly flawed piece of legislation, but all the big corporate
      bastards are using it to scare companies like YouTube into deleting
      videos and accounts in response to a simple notice of copyright
      infringement. You can do the same. They have to respond. See the
      Wikipedia entry for DMCA, specifically Title II.
      "DMCA... creates a safe harbor for online service providers (OSPs,
      including ISPs) against copyright liability if they adhere to and
      qualify for certain prescribed safe harbor guidelines and promptly
      block access to allegedly infringing material (or remove such
      material from their systems) if they receive a notification claiming
      infringement from a copyright holder or the copyright holder's agent."
      So as copyright holder you can issue a notice to the service provider
      (ISP, host, photo sharing site, wherever) telling them that your
      content is on their servers being used illegally. They have to act.

      But in general, I agree with Adam - let it go. It sounds like
      they're just trying to get lulz from winding you up. Don't feed the
      trolls, etc.

      Rupert
      http://twittervlog.tv

      On 30-Aug-08, at 6:45 PM, Adam Quirk wrote:

      > If All Rights Reserved, then he can't use your photo without your
      > permission, whatever he says.

      Not to split hairs with Mr. Howe, but he definitely *can* use your photo
      without your permission, just not legally. Anything you put on The
      Internet
      can be used without your permission. Nature of the Beast, and in
      general a
      good thing.

      Since you're asking for advice, I suggest getting over it and moving
      on. And
      please don't sue me.

      *Adam Quirk* / Wreck & Salvage <http://wreckandsalvage.com> /
      quirk@... / +1 551.208.4644 (m) / imbullemhead (aim)

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
        Yeah, but Prince wouldn't have hired WebSherriff.com
        He would've hired Chuck Norris.

        On 31-Aug-08, at 7:18 AM, Markus Sandy wrote:

        On Aug 31, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Bill Cammack wrote:

        > Yeah, Adam's right. Ultimately, this is all bullshit and only comes
        > into effect if someone does like Prince and hires people to scour the
        > net looking for instances where someone used your image or sounds and
        > then pays people to make it so that that situation goes away.
        >
        > All you have to do is look on YouTube for gazillions of instances
        > where people have music in their videos that they didn't secure the
        > rights to and also video and pictures that they didn't secure the
        > rights to.

        sounds like a service

        oops! someone's already offering it

        I noticed these folks sniffing around Ourmedia the other day.

        http://www.websheriff.com/websheriff/services.htm

        lloks like anyone can be a prince now ;)

        markus

      • Ron Watson
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
          OK... I really like the look of the new wall. I'll post some shots
          and some blue screen action soon.

          I have a couple of questions though...

          I'm getting a dark blue aura around all of my talent and props. I
          think it's because I've got a ton of light on the backdrop. What's up
          with that and how can I fix it?

          Does anyone have creative ideas on getting a lot of light on a
          25'x15' stage? We move around a lot in our video...

          Thanks again , Rupert...
          peace,

          Ron Watson
          http://k9disc.blip.tv
          http://k9disc.com
          http://discdogradio.com
          http://pawsitivevybe.com

          On Aug 31, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Ron Watson wrote:

          > Well I went with the Chromakey Blue idea, Rupert, and it looks
          > friggin' great!
          >
          > thanks for the suggestion... I'll be sure to post some video soon.
          >
          > Thanks Rupert!
          >
          > peace,
          > Ron Watson
          > http://k9disc.blip.tv
          > http://k9disc.com
          > http://discdogradio.com
          > http://pawsitivevybe.com
          >
          > On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Rupert wrote:
          >
          > > Astroturf in your studio. How cool is that? I want to get my office
          > > astroturfed.
          > >
          > > Plain bright white is quite a useful colour to paint studio
          > walls, if
          > > they're very smooth and especially because you have highish
          > ceilings.
          > > White backgrounded videos and photos are ubiquitous - people always
          > > seem to respond well to that studio aesthetic.
          > > I got big white and black paper rolls installed in a client's studio
          > > in London and they get a lot of use out of them now.
          > >
          > > On the other hand you could paint them a chroma key blue. Then you
          > > could choose to have a blue background or digitally insert different
          > > backgrounds. I don't know much about the practicality and cost of
          > > that, but you'd find a mass of information on it via Google.
          > >
          > > Rupert
          > > http://twittervlog.tv
          > >
          > > On 29-Aug-08, at 6:48 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
          > >
          > > I'd like some suggestions on the color to paint the wall in our
          > > training studio that we use as a backdrop for our training videos.
          > >
          > > We are getting half of the studio astroturfed and are looking to
          > do s
          > > serious training DVD.
          > >
          > > I've been leaning towards a vibrant, rich blue for the wall colors,
          > > but I'm not sure.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions or other information would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > peace,
          > > ron

        • liza jean
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
            way back when i was working in tv studios chroma key blue had just
            been 'discovered'. nowadays we at dyna-flix use green - usually
            large fabric drops.

            blue is more likely to appear in what you are shooting - eye color,
            blue jeans etc. and cause problems. green does not naturally occur
            on humans.

            backlighting your subjects with a yellow light is likely to reduce
            the 'aura', or at least replace it with a halo. what 'color' light
            are you shooting in? fluorescent is green, halogen is blue,
            incandescent is yellow - if you play around with what color light you
            put where you could eliminate the halo.

            does your software have 'spill supression'?

            as to cheap light, we got two double 8' fluroescent fixtures made
            from porcelain coated steel ( a junkyard find with spare bulbs!) that
            look like something from a Star Wars set. we just stand them up
            against a wall, let them be part of the set. they make all my still
            shots look green, but the video camera white balance can handle them.

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

            > OK... I really like the look of the new wall. I'll post some shots
            > and some blue screen action soon.
            >
            > I have a couple of questions though...
            >
            > I'm getting a dark blue aura around all of my talent and props. I
            > think it's because I've got a ton of light on the backdrop. What's
            up
            > with that and how can I fix it?
            >
            > Does anyone have creative ideas on getting a lot of light on a
            > 25'x15' stage? We move around a lot in our video...
            >
            > Thanks again , Rupert...
            > peace,
            >
            > Ron Watson
            > http://k9disc.blip.tv
            > http://k9disc.com
            > http://discdogradio.com
            > http://pawsitivevybe.com
            >

            > On Aug 31, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
            >
            > > Well I went with the Chromakey Blue idea, Rupert, and it looks
            > > friggin' great!
            > >
            > > thanks for the suggestion... I'll be sure to post some video soon.
            > >
            > > Thanks Rupert!
            > >
            > > peace,
            > > Ron Watson
            > > http://k9disc.blip.tv
            > > http://k9disc.com
            > > http://discdogradio.com
            > > http://pawsitivevybe.com
            > >
            > > On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Rupert wrote:
            > >
            > > > Astroturf in your studio. How cool is that? I want to get my
            office
            > > > astroturfed.
            > > >
            > > > Plain bright white is quite a useful colour to paint studio
            > > walls, if
            > > > they're very smooth and especially because you have highish
            > > ceilings.
            > > > White backgrounded videos and photos are ubiquitous - people
            always
            > > > seem to respond well to that studio aesthetic.
            > > > I got big white and black paper rolls installed in a client's
            studio
            > > > in London and they get a lot of use out of them now.
            > > >
            > > > On the other hand you could paint them a chroma key blue. Then
            you
            > > > could choose to have a blue background or digitally insert
            different
            > > > backgrounds. I don't know much about the practicality and cost
            of
            > > > that, but you'd find a mass of information on it via Google.
            > > >
            > > > Rupert
            > > > http://twittervlog.tv
            > > >
            > > > On 29-Aug-08, at 6:48 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'd like some suggestions on the color to paint the wall in our
            > > > training studio that we use as a backdrop for our training
            videos.

            > > > We are getting half of the studio astroturfed and are looking
            > > do s
            > > > serious training DVD.
            > > >
            > > > I've been leaning towards a vibrant, rich blue for the wall
            colors,
            > > > but I'm not sure.
            > > >
            > > > Any suggestions or other information would be appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > peace,
            > > > ron

          • Rupert
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
              I don't know, because it's been a long time since i blue/green
              screened anything, but I would guess that if you've got a ton of
              light on the backdrop then you may be getting some reflected blue
              backlight around your subjects which might be causing the aura.

              I think the chromakey apps are pretty clever in the way they handle
              the edges of subjects, and this reflected blue backlight might be
              confusing them. I think this is the spill-suppression that liza jean
              mentioned. You could either try using a lower intensity light to
              light the backdrop - perhaps a few fluorescent strips to get even-
              ness. or backlight the subject so that the light aura around them is
              tungsten/fluorescent instead of reflected blue. i would imagine that
              this would help the chroma filter to recognise the edges of your
              subject.

              As far as I know, Blue is a better chroma colour to use for
              skintones. But I could be wrong.

              I would guess that there's a ton of information available via Google
              for setting this stuff up well.

              Rupert
              http://twittervlog.tv/